News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 stroked to a 416

Started by MagnumForce, April 11, 2012, 05:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagnumForce

Hey i am new to this forum and i own a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 340 small block (around 400 hp) with a TH 350 trans. I am just wondering about stroking it out to a 416. Has anyone here done this? How much more HP will I be getting?
Thanks in advance
If You Ain't First, You're Last!!

471_Magnum

Welcome aboard.

TH 350? A GM transmission? That's besides the point I guess.

Small blocks with 4-inch stroker kit are pretty common, by no means exotic. Just do a search on this and other forums.

How much HP depends on cylinder heads and cam. The more race oriented combinations with aftermarket heads can hit 500 hp, and still be considered streetable. 400 is easy. They make very torquey street motors.

Choose your stroker components carefully. All kits are not created equal. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. Stay away from Eagle cast cranks.

One could make a really good argument for using a 360 block rather than the 340. 360 blocks can be had dirt cheap (I paid $75 for mine). 340s are scarce. If it's numbers matching to the car, mothball the 340 and go with a 360 block. If your 340 is 30 over already, another overbore is not advisable.

I built mine a year ago. Love the way it runs. I've had numerous issues with the motor, but none have been related to the stroker short block (bad heads, wiped cam lobe). Just now really getting a chance to enjoy it. Way more fun than the limp wristed '72 spec 340 it replaced.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

MagnumForce

Yeah I know a GM tranny........   :o the car came like that when i bought it. Maybe a 727 one day, but anyway thanks for the advice once i get the money i definetly think thats what i gonna spend it on 

Chryco Psycho

The advantage with a stroker is not the addition HP but the increased torque .
I agree with the idea of using a 360 block as they are virtually give away blocks , you would need a different il pan though , the 340 pan will not fit

Cooter

If you gotta change the trans anyway, why not build a REAL stroker..Something like 520 C.I.?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MagnumForce

I have been doing some reading about the new 440 super commando with 550 hp est. but the price is crazy 12,000 and up!!! How does that compare to thr 416 stroker power wise?

471_Magnum

12 grand is a ton of money for a street motor. Cost driver in the 440 Super Commando is the aftermarket block, among other things.

Rather than just talking horse power, you need to define your performance goals and intended use for the vehicle. Horsepower numbers are good for nothing but bench racing bragging rights.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Cooter

Quote from: MagnumForce on April 14, 2012, 09:41:21 PM
I have been doing some reading about the new 440 super commando with 550 hp est. but the price is crazy 12,000 and up!!! How does that compare to thr 416 stroker power wise?

Did you really think you were gonna buy a BRAND NEW engine that makes that kind of power for less? I mean a GOOD, Properly Built Stroker Engine will cost at least $6-$8K.

If your looking for a $4K 600 HP engine, there's always N2O and a junkyard 440. Now how long it will last is another story, but i like my engines to live for at least 15 years without a tear down for "Freshening".
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

MagnumForce

sorry for the delayed response but i have been real busy lately. Anyway what i really want to do with it is make a street/strip car that will be comfortable to drive but will still run respectable ETs. The car is fast as is now though, that little 340 really pulls!! I am really trying to get more horsepower out of it now and not really sure were to go from here without breaking the bank.After all, I am just a broke 17 year old who likes to go fast(at the track of course ::))

Mike DC

Stroke a 360 block with a 4" aftermarket crank = cheap power.  Not great on gas though. 

I don't really see the advantage of the 440" smallblock crate motors unless you just want a smallblock on principle.  It costs as much money as a big block.  And with the thick-ass aftermarket iron block, it even weighs almost as much as a big block.

MagnumForce

yeah but i already own the 340 so why would i buy the 360? the 340 is the best mopar small block from what i heard

471_Magnum

Quote from: MagnumForce on May 17, 2012, 09:02:53 PM
the 340 is the best mopar small block from what i heard

In stock form, yes, great motors. The early high compression ones anyway.

The blocks are notorious for thin walls and core shift though. Since so few were produced, finding one suitable for a performance build can be an expensive endeavor. 360's will accept the same top end parts and are much easier to find. Once you start thinking about building a stroker, the 360 block is the way to go.

Challenger340

geez, I feel out to lunch here ??

I'd like to see a parts & labor breakdown of how exactly, and WHAT, goes into a "properly" built ANYTHING making close to 500hp on pump fuel for $6-8K these days ?? Small or Big Block....
IMO, I don't think it can be done ??
I'm in the business...
and that said,
I just wouldn't feel comfortable giving any Customer of mine, anything built "that way", with "those parts", that had my name on it ??
And most certainly NOT,
especially if I liked the Customer...which I do, because the ones I don't like, I tell to go away.

I may be wrong, but IMO, JUNK in = JUNK out ??
Only wimps wear Bowties !

MagnumForce

Challenger340, i totally agree with you. It is really a rich mans game now  :'( but what i was hoping to find out was some different ways to get more horsepower out of my rebuilt 340 in my charger. Its already got headers, forged pistons, 4 barrel carb and 4:10's in the rear. Any ideas as to where to go from here? Remember i want a street/strip car. P.S. sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part, i am pretty new to all of this. I am still in highschool :icon_smile_big:

Challenger340

Quote from: MagnumForce on May 18, 2012, 04:27:35 PM
Challenger340, i totally agree with you. It is really a rich mans game now  :'( but what i was hoping to find out was some different ways to get more horsepower out of my rebuilt 340 in my charger. Its already got headers, forged pistons, 4 barrel carb and 4:10's in the rear. Any ideas as to where to go from here? Remember i want a street/strip car. P.S. sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part, i am pretty new to all of this. I am still in highschool :icon_smile_big:

Need more info if possible ??
Actual Compression Ratio ? Do you know the Piston Part# for a ballpark ?
Whats the current Camshaft, and Intake Manifold combination ?
Std or auto trans Car ?

If it's around 400 hp now......that would suggest close to 1.2hp per cubic inch currently as it sits ?
1.25 to 1.3hp per inch is certainly attainable with Flat Tappet Camshafts on Pump Fuel with an Iron Headed 2.02 valve, easy compatibility to the 4.10's, some stall would also be required if an Auto.

MagnumForce

the engine has a 10:1 compression, .480 lift cam Dynamics Hyd cam.Comp cams s/s Roller Rockers. The trans is an auto TH350 rebuilt with High performance cluthes and turboaction manual value body. I could find any more info on the piston. Thanks for all the help

Challenger340

Quote from: MagnumForce on May 19, 2012, 09:19:06 AM
the engine has a 10:1 compression, .480 lift cam Dynamics Hyd cam.Comp cams s/s Roller Rockers. The trans is an auto TH350 rebuilt with High performance cluthes and turboaction manual value body. I could find any more info on the piston. Thanks for all the help

"Cam Dynamics" ??
Now THERE is a name from the past..they were bought out by CRANE way back in the late 80's I think ??
When the heck was this Engine built ?

What is the Convertor Stall Speed ?? You'll need an honest 10" Convertor behind the Wee-40 with that C.D. stick, especially on the heavy car.

MagnumForce

The engine was built in the early 90's, and it has a 10inch 3-3500 stall TCI Converter.

Challenger340

Quote from: MagnumForce on May 24, 2012, 10:28:47 PM
The engine was built in the early 90's, and it has a 10inch 3-3500 stall TCI Converter.

Humh ? :scratchchin:
OK, you are good to go with the 4.10 gears and 10" Convertor, close to 10:1 on the Iron Heads.

What Intake ?
What carb ?
Do the Heads have 2.02" Intake Valve or 1.88" ? Are you sure ?
Headers ?

MagnumForce

It has a Holley double pumper and 1 7/8 headers. It also has a 8 1/2 posi rear if i have not mentioned that already. the rest of the stuff u mentioned ill have to check the next time i work on it