News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repro parts?

Started by Skyview69, April 10, 2012, 07:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyview69

Has anyone seen these 3D printers?  Simply amazing...would they be able to "make" parts such as grill pieces, etc?  I don't see why not.  Anyone have access to one??  Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-aWFYT_SU

:cheers:

Indygenerallee

Pretty cool!!! Can you imagine the cost of that thing!!!  :lol: If I got near it I would start making 69 Charger grilles!!!  :lol: $$$$$$$
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Skyview69

Exactly...that' s what i thought as well...would also like some hood signal lenses!

moparfan53

Sometime last year I saw a tv show (My Classic Car, perhaps) where Jay Leno was showing one he had. I found this article about it on his site. The brand name is different. Prices mentioned are $3,000 for the scanner and $15,000 for the printer.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/articles/jay-lenos-3d-printer-replaces-rusty-old-parts-1/index.shtml

bull

Unless something has changed in the past year or so these machines are not big enough to make grill parts. You'd have to meke them in sections and try attaching the sections together somehow.

Other than that, there's a bit of a problem with detail in the parts I've seen from one of these things. Of course there are different settings, like the settings of a text printer, that you can change to make the parts more detailed but you're looking at more time and money when you do that. However, if the part is not very detailed, like a seat rail mounting pad or an arm rest base you'd be ok but how would you replicate the grain pattern of a kick panel or dash plastic?

I too was pretty excited about the possibilities of this thing when it first came out but by the time you lay out the $20-$40 some-odd thousand for the scanner and printer you're already in a pretty big hole. And you can bet you'd be making lots of non-Mopar related stuff to get out of that hole.

There are many positives with the concept of this type of machine though. One good thing is that the old production mindset goes out the window if/when these things start working really well. By that I mean you wouldn't have to run off 500 of something to make it a cost-effective venture. You could basically make the parts as the orders come in or keep one of the more popular parts on the shelf ready to go. Another thing is the cost (although that's also a negative) because the gamble of buying one of these machine(s) does not rely on the success of one part. Grills for instance typically would require a lot of costly preperation and so your financial success relies solely on the success of that one part. With this machine if the grill parts tanked you could easily change the program to do something else.

Skyview69

My guess is that it won't be long before they make them large enough to make grill size pieces.  The possibilities seem endless with such a device.  I look forward to seeing what becomes of them  and for eighteen thousand...one could make that back soon by selling all kinds of items  :shruggy:

bakerhillpins

I am in agreement with bull's comments.

The machines are not geared towards large parts (least not the ones I have seen) and their ability to do detailed parts is limited. The prototype parts that we have received at the office from these printers are not smooth either. I also recall that the "ink" as it were was pricey.

However, I recall a recent episode of Inside West Coast Customs I recall them using a 3D printer to make custom plastic parts for their builds so it is apparently a viable solution.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

Lemme see, One guy here used his big, fancy machine to repop Charger Grilles and the center sections were like $1200.00 Or something and alot here were scoffing at the price tags. I know how much it is to repop parts. Those machines cost big coin, therefore, once parts are created using them, cost has to come back.

Again, wanna guess at how much it was to repop ONE pass. side Ex. manifold???
Try $10K......THEN, it's another $150 a pour.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

In general, those things are for building "rapid prototypes". They are solid enough to use for fitting and some minor testing but then you use them to create the molds for the real production line process. They do need "finishing" after they come out of the machine. The technology has advanced greatly since I first ran across one about 10 years ago but it still has a long way to go before they're popping out production-ready pieces.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Troy on April 12, 2012, 11:02:25 AM
In general, those things are for building "rapid prototypes". They are solid enough to use for fitting and some minor testing but then you use them to create the molds for the real production line process. They do need "finishing" after they come out of the machine. The technology has advanced greatly since I first ran across one about 10 years ago but it still has a long way to go before they're popping out production-ready pieces.

Troy

I believe that's why we're not seeing a bunch of people buying these machines for the purpose of production. If/when it does get to that point you can bet there will be dozens of people buying them for that purpose. You know just about every classic car owner thought the same thing when they first saw that Leno clip. When I first saw it (a year ago or more?) I talked to one of their reps who located a machine in my area and I went across town to check it out. Myself and another guy were thinking about investing in one until I saw the finish on the parts and the size limitations. Plastic parts would get real cheap because the market will most likely be flooded but at the same time you know there'll be some quality issues.

Skyview69

Quote from: bull on April 12, 2012, 01:34:45 PM
Quote from: Troy on April 12, 2012, 11:02:25 AM

Troy

I believe that's why we're not seeing a bunch of people buying these machines for the purpose of production. If/when it does get to that point you can bet there will be dozens of people buying them for that purpose. You know just about every classic car owner thought the same thing when they first saw that Leno clip. When I first saw it (a year ago or more?) I talked to one of their reps who located a machine in my area and I went across town to check it out. Myself and another guy were thinking about investing in one until I saw the finish on the parts and the size limitations. Plastic parts would get real cheap because the market will most likely be flooded but at the same time you know there'll be some quality issues.

Very good points you guys bring up.  Still you have to admit those machines are very cool...I still think in a few 5-10 years you might see some rapid advancements in size, quality and finish...look forward to seeing what becomes of them  :2thumbs:

Patronus

Soon the printer will be making printers
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bull

Quote from: Patronus on April 14, 2012, 12:24:12 PM
Soon the printer will be making printers

And robots will be making robots.

Bithand

We have a 3D printer at the manufacturing facility in Houston. It's pretty neat to play with