News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to adjust door striker on 68 charger

Started by la.68charger, April 08, 2012, 05:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

la.68charger

just got a 68 charger. pass door had been closing great, then suddenly it won't latch. The mechanism seems to be ok when compared to the right side. i've tried moving the plate, but it gets no better. the latch will aprtilly catch, but won't fully lock the door closed.TIA for any help or suggestions

Kern Dog

Wow.... great timing because I think I may have some useful info. I "fixed" mine 2 weeks ago!
The mechanism in the door itself has a white plastic rectangular "bushing". This is part of the latch that is outside of the door. It is supposed to slide sideways when the latch meets the striker on the body. Mine was dry as a bone and causing the door to bounce off of the jamb. I lubed the plastic piece with PB blaster and worked it back and forth with a screwdriver until it moved freely.
I also made sure that the 3 big Phillips screws retaining the door latch were tight. Mine were loose, causing inconsistant action.
Finally, the striker in the door jamb was adjusted all sorts of ways, but with my hinges being worn, I had to make thin shims to fit between the lower hinge and the door. This tilted the door to sit up at the rear. Then I took a fine metal file to the leading edge of the striker to give it a slight bevel. Mine still have a stiff feeling at the button, but I can live with that. Best of luck, Greg

doctor4766

Quote from: la.68charger on April 08, 2012, 05:56:42 PM
just got a 68 charger. pass door had been closing great, then suddenly it won't latch. The mechanism seems to be ok when compared to the right side. i've tried moving the plate, but it gets no better. the latch will aprtilly catch, but won't fully lock the door closed.TIA for any help or suggestions

Are you sure the hinge pins haven't just seen better days? Those doors are ultra heavy when loaded with glass, regulators and other hardware. Quite often the door can drop out of alignment.
The pin and bush repair kits are readily available these days and are inexpensive to buy.
Gotta love a '69

404NOTFOUND

Any pics of this white plastic part? My doors were terrible when it came to bouncing off the strike. Adjusting them and giving them lots of use has made a huge difference but, I would like to have a look at that plastic part. Thanks.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.