News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you glue carpet to sound deadener?

Started by sixpack_sid, April 08, 2012, 05:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I just laid down some sound deadener and am ready to install the carpet. It doesn't lay quite right and the foil is so slick that I would like to secure it with some double sided tape. Has anyone done it that way? I need some advice. Give me your  :Twocents:
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bill440rt

Sure.
I used carpet laying tape found at Home Depot. Sticky, two-sided tape used in laying house carpet.
Worked great for holding the carpet to the foil backed sound deadener. Had to use it in a couple spots.
:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Budnicks

Contact cement would also work, but you better get it right the first time...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

BananaDan

Quote from: bill440rt on April 08, 2012, 08:14:24 PM
Sure.
I used carpet laying tape found at Home Depot. Sticky, two-sided tape used in laying house carpet.
Worked great for holding the carpet to the foil backed sound deadener. Had to use it in a couple spots.
:2thumbs:

I did the same on Bill's suggestion, worked well especially along the sill plate edge.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the advice! I got some double sided carpet tape and also saw a video where a carpet installer used the butyl tape that goes around the rear windshield as an adhesive. I have some left over from my windshield install-maybe I'll use some of that.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bill440rt

Quote from: sixpack_sid on April 10, 2012, 07:49:51 AM
Thanks for the advice! I got some double sided carpet tape and also saw a video where a carpet installer used the butyl tape that goes around the rear windshield as an adhesive. I have some left over from my windshield install-maybe I'll use some of that.

I wouldn't use butyl. It'll be a sticky mess if you ever try to pull up the carpet again. And, if you get any on your carpet, it will NOT come off without ruining it.
Tape. Cheap. Clean. Simple. Works.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Just go easy with the stuff, no need to cover the carpet in double sided tape, a little goes a long way.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the replies! I won't use the butyl, just the tape.