News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is roofing a house feasable self help project or better left to pros? ALL DONE!!

Started by AKcharger, April 06, 2012, 10:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

I always say never a again, but if it's a single story or a low pitch, I can't bare to pay someone else.  As mentioned above, lot's of tarps and don't forget ice guard.
Since you have never done one before, maybe spend a couple bucks on a buddy that knows "flashing". 

Old Moparz

Quote from: Silver R/T on April 08, 2012, 01:00:09 AM
Have you thought about metal roof? All that snow would just slide off of it and it's probably cheaper/easier to do than shingles.

I wanted to do a metal roof on mine, but for several reasons decided not to. Unless you buy the very basic, very ugly, corrugated panels that look like they were cut from a shipping container, it won't be cheaper. I priced the metal roof materials & it was a lot more than the architectural asphalt shingles. Asphalt & all accessories for 20 sq was around $2800 & metal with all the extras was $3600. The most expensive items for metal were the accessories & trim pieces that you couldn't get away from buying.

One of the other big reasons I avoided metal is that I never installed one & sure didn't want to experiment & learn on my house. Maybe if I had used it on a shed first I'd have tried.   :shruggy:

Quote from: AKcharger on April 07, 2012, 11:09:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys good info!

- Insurance (I have State farm) will only cover if roof is storm damaged, which parts are but not the whole roof so no go there
- Went to Lowes® and talked to their contractor dept and was a little more optimistic. I'm figuring a 1300 sq. foot roof will run me about $2700 for all materials. Throw in a few hundred for buying a nail gun and renting a convayor and I'm saving about $5K...that's worth doing
- Told my 2 22 Y/O sons they owe me 3 back breaking days labour to help me after all the food and toys I bought them all their lives so I got some help
- If I do it I don't mind spending some coin on a few 5 point safety harness' and a roofing gun to make the job safer and easier
- Was thinking about putting out a C/L  ad for a roofing "consultant" someone to swing by, give me some tips and answer questions on the if I run into trouble, that might be $$ well spent
- Below is the best pic I got for the house/roof. I don't think it's too bad. somewhat low pitch, only 2 valleys and not a lot of complex angles or anything

That roof looks fairly easy to work on, not a bad angle & probably no need for roof brackets & planks like mine.   :2thumbs:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

AKcharger

D-Monkey - Good point! I'll call today
Silver - Good tip and metal roofs are popular out in the "bush" but in Anchorage I think there's a restriction...or at least it would look weird, no one in neiborhood has metal roof. Agree with Old Mopartz, I'll go conventional on this one
Red/stripe delete - Thanks guys, yup, I think I can do it, if it were a steep roof like stripes wouldn't try it
NH - Great tip! I was worried about weather but I think I'm going to modify your suggestion a bit. I'm not savvy enough to try you're method BUT I think I'll do it in sections. I was going to do it like the books said, rip off all the shingles in one step then do paper flashing ect. But I think I'll do one side, Should be able to do it it in a day, then work on other. Plus I'll do the side without the valleys so I can get "training" before I attack the more complicated side

Chryco Psycho

I saw a product about 2 years ago , it is a thick rubber shingle made from old tires , the rubber is reformed into shingles , it is supposed to out last asphalt & add insulation & had a 25 or 30 year guarantee

gtx6970

Roofing isn't rocket science.

If you can do it all depends on your comfort level with heights and a basic knowledge of how to use a tape measure and a nail gun( or a hammer and a nail bag in my case)

Like you said start with the easy sections first, then move to the more complicated side last.

Nice looking house btw, but whats all that white stuff ?????  :rofl:

BigBlackDodge

If your roof is in good shape (except for the worn shingles of course) you can add a new layer over the old. Building codes in my area allows this, but if you have 2 layers already you'll have to strip it all off.

Check your local building codes. :yesnod:

BBD

NHCharger

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on April 13, 2012, 09:53:09 AM
If your roof is in good shape (except for the worn shingles of course) you can add a new layer over the old. Building codes in my area allows this, but if you have 2 layers already you'll have to strip it all off.

Check your local building codes. :yesnod:

BBD

with the snow loads they get up there I doubt a second layer is feasible. Also the shingle manufacturer will not warranty their shingles if you go over existing shingles.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

AKcharger

I gave thought to just putting another layer on but  snow loads is a real issue (had 3 feet up on the roof this year!) and also biggest issue is ice damming, another layer really wouldn't fix that.

Oh, found a consultant to evaluate my plan and answer questions...makes me feel better

stripedelete

Quote from: AKcharger on April 13, 2012, 02:29:38 PM
biggest issue is ice damming, another layer really wouldn't fix that.

Code in Ohio is ice guard on the first 3 feet.  Even if you're in the sticks, there is probably a state code.  Check it out.  If it is 3ft you might want to double it or more.  Maybe even go up the troughs if you have any.  Also, get the heavier stuff if there is a choice.   

My neighbourhood has strict regs. on material/appearance.  Many of us have almost no pitch, north facing, porch roofs.  We ice guard the whole thing and use shingles to conform.  The shingles don't last as long because of the pitch and direction, but, the trade-off for us is not having to replace the wood every time.

It won't be too bad - just think like a rain drop.       

Iceyone

Roofing is for young guys. Send those sons of yours up there and you direct them from the ground, in the shade while sipping an icey beverage of your choice.  :2thumbs: Like someone else said, it's not rocket science, but it will make an old man older.  :Twocents:
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

AKcharger

Quote from: Iceyone on April 13, 2012, 08:42:13 PM
Roofing is for young guys. Send those sons of yours up there and you direct them from the ground, in the shade while sipping an icey beverage of your choice.  :2thumbs: Like someone else said, it's not rocket science, but it will make an old man older.  :Twocents:

I'm likin' this idea!  :cheers:

jar1292

I needed a new roof a few years back wanted to go tin. Estamate was 3400 with my shed on the side! done in one day didn't have to pull shingles just new vent holes and looks great! plus the tax right off that came with it. look around though only certain tin gets the right off. if i remember right it was almost a thousand back...
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

AKcharger

I got the roof done last month and thought I'd update for everyone with some lessons learned.

I did about 1/2 of it and then hired a "real" roofer to help me finish the other 1/2 after discovering I needed a little structural work due to past leaks. Overall worked out fine and ended up saving about $3-4K. So what did I learn?

1) I'm not 18 anymore!
2) If you have the money just pay someone to do it...what a pain!
3) It's not hard but time-consuming to learn the little "tricks" that save goobs of time
4) Your children don't have the same level of motivation to accomplish the job as you do (I should have known that)
5) Take the time estimate for doing it yourself and multiple by 13
6) When buying shingles get them from a place that will help put 'em on the roof, even if it costs a bit more. Lowes said the driver "may" be able to help fork lift them but when he arrived they were all on pallets and he didn't have time to wait for me to break 'em down. Had to rent a vertical hand-powered lift...what a nightmare!
7) Paying a knowledgeable roofer $100 to be a "consultant" looking at your plan and showing you a few tricks is money well spent!

I did the flat side of the roof then had a guy help me with the opposite side with wood repair

twodko

The most difficult part for DYI's is applying the flashing. If its not right, the force will NOT be with you but the leaks will. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Steve P.

Looks good. Happy you went with these shingles rather than 3-tab. They are heavier and more expensive, but can deal with much harsher weather and last much longer where weather is harsh.

3 years ago we paid more than $11,000.00 striping and putting on the same shingles. We have many valleys and hips all over the place, so there is a ton of waste.. (Looks good, but retarded economically). I would never build a house with these cuts and changes in heights. Nothing but waste and more chances of a leak.. If I am still here in 30 years I believe I will replace this roof with a 50 year metal roof.. Under it will have a layer of insulation to help with the A/C bill...

Roof looks great buddy...  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Tilar

It looks great and my hat is off to you for trying but other than working on my Chargers, if it doesn't involve diesel engines, Allison transmissions, farm tractors, or air brakes, I'm not doing it. I totally understand electric but just paid someone $2400 to upgrade one of my houses to a 100 amp breaker box and change out to grounded outlets because they can do it, have it done and be gone in the time it takes me to come up with a plan.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Old Moparz

Roof looks good, glad to see you didn't post about it from the emergency room.   :lol: 
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

stripedelete

It's not waving hello.  Nice work.

Sorry, should have warned you about #6.

PocketThunder

What are you doing with that safety harness on?  DIY's arent supposed to be concerned about safety.  :rofl:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

AKcharger

Thanks for the kind words guys

Since I had my kids helping me (as in the picture) I need to make sure they didn't get hurt and can earn a good living to pay for my fututre nursing home  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69rtse4spd

Nice job, know all to well about #1, put lots of life insurances on the kids, & safety harness, we don't need no stinking safety harness. :smilielol:. It only hurts when you land.

HANDM

Ugh..... if you wanna talk about roof replacement costs have a look at this picture and think that at even one dollar a tile, how much do you think this would cost........ :eek2: 

What you can't see in the picture is the wing of the house that I am standing on taking the picture which is 40 feet and the other side with the the guy looking like he is plucking panties  :smilielol: is also forty plus feet

I just spent three hundred on sixty tiles at 4 bux a pop to replace the busted ones and I have at least six hundred more to spend before the roof is repaired.

Once repairs are done, then I figure that primer/sealer and paint is gonna cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 and yes I am doing the work myself and at 41, I better hurry up............

AKcharger