News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is roofing a house feasable self help project or better left to pros? ALL DONE!!

Started by AKcharger, April 06, 2012, 10:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

My House needs a re-roofing bad, got an estimate today of $8600...ouch! I automatically want to jus do it myself but I have no experience in roofing...other than a stack of books I got today from the library.

So any roofers out there have an opinion? Is this somthing you could simple read a book and go do or is there special skill and technique involved?

Thanks

AK

dukeboy_318

I've done it myself before, its a real pain but it can be done by the inexperienced. The key is the removal of the old roof and how much of the plywood and such you need to replace if any. I'd recommend a dumpster for the old stuff and tarps to lay around on the ground to make pick up easier. I would also get the roofing shovel to help tear off the old shingles. Its basically a shovel with a jagged edge that rips up shingles. An air nailer is a plus as well You will need a 2nd person to help hold, especially when laying out the new paper. Places like Home Depot and Menards and Lowes usually sell builders guides for almost any project. Just go slow and remember, measure twice, cut once. also I started at the bottom of the roof and went up as I worked across makes it easier to lay the shingles.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

dukeboy_318

Oh, forgot to add, check with your home owners policy, sometimes they will pay a portion of the re-roof cost, at least state farm did on my parents house.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

A383Wing

I hear ya...I got estimate of around $12K for house and detached garage....

Bryan

resq302

When I built my 11x14 shed I did the roof and shingled it also.  It was not as hard as what I though but doing a whole house is another thing.  Even with the rip off if needed.  Ive contemplated doing mine when I need it to be done but it might be faster and easier to have a pro do it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Todd Wilson

Roofing is probably the hardest job I have ever done in my life and I havent done much of it. Its heavy and awkward on your body. Its usually hot up on the roof. The shingles will eat your hands up. Its just hard nasty work. Depending on the roof of your house and the pitch of it will depend on how hard its gonna be to even stay up on it without falling off let alone doing any work.  The more angles and stuff the roof has the more complicated it gets to make things line up right. If you got to redeck the roof you will have to measure and cut the plywood to fit. Once again the more angles and stuff your roof has the more complicated the cuts are.

Its hard on your back and legs and knees shoulders and hands. Highly doubt you could swing a hammer all day long so a air nailer is gonna be needed.

When I had my roof replaced via insurance I ended up doing it myself instead of paying a roofing company. I actually found a mesican roofing gang who was doing work for the roofing company and got pissed off and went out on their own. They charged me way less then the roofing company. They made more money doing it and I put money in my pocket. I used my old truck to help haul some of the supplys. They had a dump trailer for the old roofing.

Some insurance companies will still do this but some will not.  You get a certain amount of $$$ up front and then some more $$$ after its done. Keep receipts and take pictures of before and after.

myk

'OP if you're doubting yourself at this point you should seek a 'pro.  There's no shame in seeking professional help, as your roof is something you need to have done right the first time.  If you want to learn, maybe you could help the roofer? 

Slowpoke

That seems to be a high price. I had my second house a 30 X 50 hip roofed 2 bedroom done for $1400 last year.
It was done by a commercial building roofer as a side job because the company he worked for was out of jobs for him at the time.
He did a good job including complete tearoff and replacing a few roofing boards, no plywood on that house it is 75 years old.
68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

NHCharger

AK. I've done so many roofs in the past 30 years I've worn out two nail guns. If the roof needs replacing due to aging I don't see how your home owners insurance would be willing to pay for it. I've been doing commercial construction the last six years, no residential roofing. Currently we are building a small support building right now and are using IKO shingles. I was astonished to find that one bundle of shingles now costs as much as a square did just six years ago. Material costs have tripled.
Couple of questions. what is the pitch of your roof? Easy to walk on? Any hips, valleys, dormers, stacks, chimneys, skylights? How far off the ground to the eaves?
How many layers? Most shingle manufacturers will not warranty your roof if you go over existing shingles.

Stripping and shingling the roof is easy. Making sure everything is flashed correctly isn't as easy. At the end of the job if you need to use roofing tar to cover anything more than the two exposed nail heads on the last piece of ridge cap then you didn't do the job correctly.  Post a couple pics of your house if you could.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

skip68

We are doing the south half of ours in the next couple weeks.  Vegas Mike has the tools and knowledge so I've recruited him. I'll send him your way when I'm done with him.   :icon_smile_big:   
I'm actually going on the roof today to take measurements.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Tilar

If it were mine I'd hire it done... If it's higher than picking corn or lower than digging potatos, this old man ain't gonna do it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Old Moparz

You can do it yourself & save a lot of money, but NHCharger made a lot of good points you will have to seriously consider. I did the front of my house this past fall & will do the rear sometime this spring & saved roughly $5000. Had 4 estimates ranging from $8000 to $10,500 & bought the materials for under $3000. I've done roofing in the past so I had the experience, but being 49 years old the ladder wore me out faster than it did when I built the garage in 1997.   :smilielol:

Here's a link to some info on mine with photos.....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85117.0.html

By the way, if you have any fear of heights & not comfortable on a roof, you could be asking for trouble.   :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

When i was in my 20s = Roof it myself   :2thumbs:

Now that i'm closing in on 40 = Pay someone else.     :-\
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 07, 2012, 04:00:33 PM
When i was in my 20s = Roof it myself   :2thumbs:

Now that i'm closing in on 40 = Pay someone else.     :-\

Lay off the McDonalds & get yourself a Jack LaLane juicer.    :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

oldcarnut

I'm curious how you guys get your insurance to cover it unless it was torn off in a storm or something.  When we've had hurricanes or storm damage come through and sometimes cause partial shingle loss, it's a pain trying to get them even to replace it then instead of patching the bad places.  Thats with State Farm and not a smaller company.

A383Wing

Quote from: oldcarnut on April 07, 2012, 06:16:42 PM
I'm curious how you guys get your insurance to cover it unless it was torn off in a storm or something.  When we've had hurricanes or storm damage come through and sometimes cause partial shingle loss, it's a pain trying to get them even to replace it then instead of patching the bad places.  Thats with State Farm and not a smaller company.

yea..I was wondering the same....

Bryan

Old Moparz

Quote from: A383Wing on April 07, 2012, 06:19:58 PM

yea..I was wondering the same....

Bryan

Maybe they lie?   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

AKcharger

Thanks for the feedback guys good info!

- Insurance (I have State farm) will only cover if roof is storm damaged, which parts are but not the whole roof so no go there
- Went to Lowes® and talked to their contractor dept and was a little more optimistic. I'm figuring a 1300 sq. foot roof will run me about $2700 for all materials. Throw in a few hundred for buying a nail gun and renting a convayor and I'm saving about $5K...that's worth doing
- Told my 2 22 Y/O sons they owe me 3 back breaking days labour to help me after all the food and toys I bought them all their lives so I got some help
- If I do it I don't mind spending some coin on a few 5 point safety harness' and a roofing gun to make the job safer and easier
- Was thinking about putting out a C/L  ad for a roofing "consultant" someone to swing by, give me some tips and answer questions on the if I run into trouble, that might be $$ well spent
- Below is the best pic I got for the house/roof. I don't think it's too bad. somewhat low pitch, only 2 valleys and not a lot of complex angles or anything

draftingmonkey

Do not forget to check with your local building department to see if you need a permit.  If you do and get caught without one it can bite you in the backside.

Silver R/T

Have you thought about metal roof? All that snow would just slide off of it and it's probably cheaper/easier to do than shingles.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Todd Wilson

It took me several years. We'd have a bad storm with hail. Call insurance. Get a roofing company to come out and give an estimate. They would say yeah you got hail damage but not enough to total it out.  Try again next year.   Next year we have a hail storm and repeat the process. Sooner or later it was totaled.  Since my house didnt have decking on it and is now required by code  I had to put plywood decking on it. State Farm (my insurance) actually wants you to have decking so they covered this in the deal.

I got lucky.  I had a layer of shake shingles and 2 layers of asphalt on.

Todd

Kern Dog

As a carpenter, I'll chime in for what its worth.
This is a job that can be done by a novice if you are a reasonably intelligent person. As stated before, if the roof is a simple design, sloped on 2 sides, you can certainly achieve great results with tips learned from books or even from the web. If the roof is comprised of multiple angles and irregular slopes, it IS better to be left to a pro. Think of it as bodywork and paint. If the work isn't done right, it will have to be done twice..... or three times.

NHCharger

Bill- Couple more things.
Your roof is a low pitch, looks like either a 4/12 or 5/12. With the amount of snow make sure you put down several rows of Ice & Water Shield on the eaves to prevent ice dams. Also run a couple of rows in the valleys.
Check to see if you actually need safety harnesses. The pitch on your roof is so low you would have to make a serious effort to fall off the roof. The safety harnesses will add an extra day to your time on the roof. They're always in the way and your constantly adjusting them.
Consider shingling from the top down. Murphy's Law, when the weather man says no rain for the next five days and you strip the roof the first day, it will rain hard that night. When I was shingling an existing house I would figure how much we could do in one day, lets say half of one side. We would strip the top half, lay down 15 lb. felt paper with a double layer overlapping the existing shingles. Figure out the shingle exposure to the weather, most shingles are between 5 and 6 inches. Measure up from the bottom edge of the roof, snap a line where the top of the first row will go, nail on the first row and nail just 1 inch down from the top of the shingle. This allows you to slide the row below up under them when you shingle the bottom half. After you nail on the first row simply shingle the rest of the way up like you normally would. The next day remove the bottom half of the old shingles and shingle up to the new section. Make sure you snap lines to keep the rows even, if you have to shrink a few rows down a bit to match into the row above no one will ever notice. Never strectch the rows past what the manufacturer recommends for coverage.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel