News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering vs Manual

Started by 68coronetGLwannabe, April 10, 2012, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

A friend of mine is considering going from power steering to manual on his 69 Charger. Someone told him you have to change the steering column because manual steering takes a longer shaft. Some input on this would be great. Thanks
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

BIGBLCK11

It is longer on a 70.  I believe this is true for 68-69 too.  I was able to shorten the shaft on a manual to use it with power steering, but obviously you couldn't go the other way, unless you added to it.  Flaming River made a coupler to do exactly that, but they don't appear to sell it themselves anymore.  Summit does carry it and here is a less expensive one on E-rape. Although, not that cheap at $154.  I just sold a brand new one for $125.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-FLAMING-RIVER-POWER-TO-MANUAL-COUPLER-KIT-FR1505M-/270397895139?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ef4f871e3&vxp=mtr#ht_1643wt_890

A383Wing

just pull the center shaft out on the column to make it fit manual steering box.....it will slide out, but it's tough to do sometimes

Bryan

BBKNARF

68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

68coronetGLwannabe

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it, and I will pass it on.  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

richRTSE

Quote from: BBKNARF on April 25, 2012, 07:31:16 PM
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mamastad.html

:iagree: That adapter is the easiest way. I lengthened the column on my 69 to convert to manual, but you also need a manual steering coupler, because the splines are different on a manual steering box...

Chryco Psycho

pulling the shaft is is not the best way to do this , there are nylon pins that shear allowing the shaft to collapse in an impact , & extending the shaft will limit the contact area between the 2 shaft sections , you are far better off to buy the adapter or get a manual column