News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 B body radio

Started by ODZKing, April 04, 2012, 10:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODZKing

Just got my montly Herbs e-mail.  Not sure if anyone has seen this repro radio like they did for the 71-74's.
Looks good.

Ghoste

Nice, or at least it looks nice from the pic.  Not cheap but then again, few things are in the old car hobby.  The site says its for a 68 though, are they doing both?

http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=673101

ODZKing

Interesting ... here is that portion of the e-mail

Ghoste

Interesting, they are different from 68 to 69 right?

Dino

I don't get it, there's so many originals for under $100 on CL and Ebay, why pay $650 for a repro?  Does it come with all the modern upgrades?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Their E body and 71-74 B-body ones do but I guess I shouldn't assume so just because of that.

ODZKing

Quote from: Dino on April 04, 2012, 11:17:54 AM
I don't get it, there's so many originals for under $100 on CL and Ebay, why pay $650 for a repro?  Does it come with all the modern upgrades?
If it is like the 71-74, it has new better electronics, 4 speaker out, AM/FM with Ipod/Sirus-XM plug and weighs less than a third of the weight.  It is much smaller in the back.

Charger-Bodie

Its Am/Fm. The ones on eBay for 100 buck are just Am.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparfan53

I can't say for sure but I think it is the same radio as shown here, but I could not find a price on their site;
http://www.retroradio.biz/

...and same as Year One has at $595
68 radio - https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/295546
69 radio - https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/295547

I have been trying to decide whether to upgrade/convert my am thumbwheel (about $400 or so) or spend the extra for one of these repro units.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Crikies!  YO is CHEAPER on a part listed elsewhere???? 

:faint: :faint:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 04, 2012, 05:16:23 PM
Crikies!  YO is CHEAPER on a part listed elsewhere???? 

:faint: :faint:

yeah but S/H is $200 ;)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

ODZKing

Yeah, $595 is what it'll be. 
And at Carlisle they'll most likely have the same deal as last year - $525 and you won't have to pay for shipping.
I'm waiting until then to grab one for the 73.

Dino

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 04, 2012, 03:52:09 PM

Its Am/Fm. The ones on eBay for 100 buck are just Am.

Ah yes, my bad, I forgot about that.

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on April 04, 2012, 11:48:39 AM
I don't get it, there's so many originals for under $100 on CL and Ebay, why pay $650 for a repro?  Does it come with all the modern upgrades?
If it is like the 71-74, it has new better electronics, 4 speaker out, AM/FM with Ipod/Sirus-XM plug and weighs less than a third of the weight.  It is much smaller in the back.

Well that explains the price then, it's still an insane amount for a dang car stereo though.   :Twocents:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Dino on April 05, 2012, 07:52:00 AM
Well that explains the price then, it's still an insane amount for a dang car stereo though.   :Twocents:

It's all relative. Have you priced an original AM/FM? Compared to an original, that's a pretty good price. Some of us want the convenience of a stock look with access to FM or other devices.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dino

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on April 05, 2012, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: Dino on April 05, 2012, 07:52:00 AM

It's all relative. Have you priced an original AM/FM? Compared to an original, that's a pretty good price. Some of us want the convenience of a stock look with access to FM or other devices.

I have no clue what the original am/fm radios go for.  I'm sure it is relative, I'm just getting annoyed sometimes of the price of parts for mopars compared to Fords and Chevys.

I contaced a guy a while back and asked him how much it costs to convert my am radio to fm and add an aux in, it was $450 and I was a bit floored by that.  Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

Ghoste

Unfortunate but is all supply and demand and there just aren't that many of us to make amortizing these parts work over a large production run compared to Ford and GM stuff.

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on April 05, 2012, 12:31:15 PM
Unfortunate but is all supply and demand and there just aren't that many of us to make amortizing these parts work over a large production run compared to Ford and GM stuff.

Yeah you're right, I'm just in whine mode today.   :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I've tried to accept it as the price to pay for owning the better cars.  It doesn't help when I need a part bad and don't have the scratch but it is what I try and tell myself.

bull

They put thumbwheel radios in Mopar after 69? :scratchchin: Don't remember that.

Anyway, why pay this gawd-awful amount for a new radio when you can get a used one updated with an MP3 jack and other upgrades for 1/3 that? You don't need an FM upgrade if you get an MP3 player with FM capability.

"We can fully service/restore your radio electronically, mechanically, and cosmetically for as little as $125 depending on make and model." http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/id2.html

Get your old radios restored with new internals and send me the extra $300 you would have spent on a new one. I guarantee you'll feel much better about yourself. :2thumbs:

moparfan53

Quote from: bull on April 06, 2012, 02:44:41 PM
They put thumbwheel radios in Mopar after 69? :scratchchin: Don't remember that.

1970 B bodies with the am/8 track were thumbwheel (am and am/fm were knob type). Also, 1970 A bodies with the 340 engine had the rallye dash which used a thumbwheel radio. Just another one of those Mopar oddities. ;D

Ghoste

Didn't some of the C-bodies have a thmubwheel as well?

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on April 06, 2012, 04:14:56 PM
Didn't some of the C-bodies have a thmubwheel as well?
67-68 Monaco - Polara AND same console as first gen Charger
From 2010 Moparfest - http://www.retrorarities.com/Moparfest10/slides/S4019239.html

BananaDan

Wow, I paid less than that and I got an original AM radio to ride up front (disconnected), a new DVC 4x10 speaker, 2 6x9's and a SecretAudio unit.  I think all of that ran about $400-$450.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

gtx6970

think it was $395 , modern but in an original case , That way I KNOW it fits the dash

4 channel , 45 watts per channel and an ipod / mp3 player jack