News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heating and A/C in a '70 Charger

Started by Kern Dog, April 04, 2012, 01:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I know very little about the heater in my car other than that it has a series of vacuum  tubes coming off of the control panel. I would think that there must be some sort of vacuum hose through the firewall attached to the engine to make it function? I cut a few things out when I pulled the 318 with A/C and installed a NOn A/C 440 oh-so-many years ago. There IS a grommet coming through the firewall on my car that has a stub of a hose still on it. There is also a hallow tin can under the battery tray with a nipple on it. Is this a storage can for the HVAC controls?
I appreciate any info that you can provide. Thanks, Greg

Kern Dog

I connected the vacuum hoses together and ran one to the carburetor. The controls still don't work.  I have another panel as well as another NAPA switch to try. It would be nice to get this working.

Kern Dog

R E A L L Y ???
NOBODY here has ever had a 70 with A/C and can offer some help? 

doctor4766

Maybe it's just that nobody can be bothered, just in case they spell something wrong in their reply?
Gotta love a '69

BananaDan

Sorry, I don't  have A/C on my 70, but you could try posting the question over at the 70 Charger Registry's site.  There are a few A/C owners over there.  Good luck!
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

terrible one

Quote from: doctor4766 on April 08, 2012, 06:04:47 AM
Maybe it's just that nobody can be bothered, just in case they spell something wrong in their reply?

:lol: Exactly what I was thinking. Or maybe someone saw "hallow tin can" and instead of using context clues and common sense to figure out that he meant "hollow," they decided that it would be much more beneficial to correct his spelling mistake than to actually contribute to the thread. Sounds familiar to me.  :icon_smile_big:

Kern Dog

Wow... TOUGH crowd!
Okay... You two don't want to help, thats fine. Life is too short to deal with people that hold grudges and have no capacity to move on. Its pretty easy to sit and judge. I've done it and I'm trying to learn from it. Any others willing to help?

Fred

I'd be happy to help but mine's a 68.
If you ever need help with a 68................. I'm your man!!   :lol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

doctor4766

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on April 09, 2012, 01:30:11 AM
Wow... TOUGH crowd!
Okay... You two don't want to help, thats fine. Life is too short to deal with people that hold grudges and have no capacity to move on. Its pretty easy to sit and judge. I've done it and I'm trying to learn from it. Any others willing to help?

Ok, after just reading your other thread on being banned, I can now assume that you've resigned from your position in the Grammar and Spelling Police, so I'll retract my comment above.

That small diameter hose coming through the grommet is probably the vacuum line that attaches to the manifold via the brake booster vacuum fitting. Sort of like this one on ebay but with and extra branch coming off it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Power-Brake-Vacuum-Hose-Fitting-Nipple-Tip-Dodge-Plymouth-Cuda-1944154-/330710879125?hash=item4cffe78b95&item=330710879125&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
Can't find a correct picture for the life of me at the moment sorry.
Anyway, that line is used to operate the heater/AC controls. The plastic controller module is still available new at a decent price on ebay too, if yours is cactus.
The vacuum lines you speak of operate the heater doors to control where the air flows.
As far as the hollow cannister under the battery tray goes, I would have thought that was just a 68-69 thing, as it is a reservoir that holds vacuum to operate the headlight doors. Yours being a 70 model has electric headlight doors right?
Gotta love a '69

Kern Dog

Thank you doc for your understanding. I have been brought down to reality lately and I do intend to improve my manners.
My plastic module may be fine, but I DO have a new Echlin one that I bought 10 years ago from a NAPA store. The tin can under the battery tray has 2 nipples on it. I have the vacuum lines connected and routed but I get nothing from the control panel. I suppose that any tiny crack would render the controls inoperable? Since this is an A/C car with no A/C components remaining, will I still be able to get the heater and defroster to work if everything else is in good condition?
I'd like to get the heater working, then later install a modern A/C setup.
Thanks again. Greg

charger Downunder

I thought 1 vac line runs to the heater/ water valve in the engine bay. The line that provides vac comes off the intake manifold at the rear Christmas tree is what people call it. If you have a brake booster follow the hose back and there should be a small nipple to attach the vac line to.
[/quote]

Kern Dog

Am I to understand that the vacuum feed to the controls needs to be full manifold vacuum?  I'm converting FROM power brakes, so if I need manifold vacuum, I'll swap the 3/8" nipple to a 1/8" size to accomodate the tiny vacuum line.

Kern Dog

Oh... the 70 Chargers used electric headlight door motors.

doctor4766

Mine is an AC 69 model that has also had the cooling componets removed in a previous life. Not sure what 70 models used the vacuum cannister for myself sorry.
I've hooked up everything else and fed vacuum directly from the manifold tree to the AC controller and have it working the doors that change from cabin to defrost etc without any problems. Yes it is full manifold vacuum, but since it runs through a very thin line it probably draws very little vacuum to operate properly.
Gotta love a '69

Chatt69chgr

I think the 70 models did have a vacuum canister under the battery tray but that it was 1/2 or so the size of the one used in 68 & 69.  Note that the heater control valve on the firewall on 70 models is vacuum operated where the 68 & 69's are bowden cable operated.  So there might be a vacuum hose coming from the inside of the car going to that in addition to the main vacuum line described previously (ie, there might be 2 vacuum hoses coming from under the dash and passing thru the firewall).

Dino

Why the heck did they change the A/C system every damn year!!!  Crazy....
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Rolling_Thunder

There should be a storage can under the batt tray. This is used to store vac for the A/C controls. There should be a line running to the engine to the can - then from the can to the inside of the passenger compartment. There should be a grommet through the firewall - not exactly sure where.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Kern Dog

I should post a picture. The firewall grommet has 2 lines in it. I suppose one is an inlet and the other an outlet.

Fred

Red,  I have a mate with a 70 with a/c and his setup is as follows...................
hose from can to manifold vacuum
hose from can to heating and a/c control through fire wall
hose from  "    "     "          "   "        "          "        "     "    to heater control valve

Hope this helps.

Kern Dog

It does help. I'm honored that you took the time to help me this way. Thank you so much! Let me know if you need help in the future!
Greg

Fred

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on April 10, 2012, 12:57:54 AM
It does help. I'm honored that you took the time to help me this way. Thank you so much! Let me know if you need help in the future!
Greg

Good on you Greg  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

I'm not real savvy on A/C but I suspect you're going to spend a mint to get it operational. May want to consider a new system from classic auto air. will not have to mess with vaccuum hoses and 40 y/o wiring