News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many other cars are featuring this butt ugly grille?

Started by Ghoste, April 05, 2012, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Yes, yes I know some people love it.  I also know it has beeen beat to death around here because of the Charger connection.  All I want to know is how many, if any, other cars are using it?  I thought there were more than these three but I can't seem to recall what they were.  I hate this cavernous maw.
It comes from an after work conversation earlier today.
Who came up with it first btw?

Fred

Geez it looks like it's gonna swallow up whatever is in front of it.
Wouldn't that be great, get rid of all those road hogs.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

stripedelete

Ghoste

So those three are essentially it today then?  I thought for sure there was a Subaru model but I cant find it and I thought there was another import that used that same Audi looking front.   Was Audi the first one to use it?

Bob T

Its rampant over here too.
Plastic and un-appealingly black nothingness of style and design cues for Holden and Ford Australia

The Veyron one and those Alfa's are done differently with a bit more style though, although the Veyron's one could also pass for an entrance to a Hobbits Hole
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Iceyone

68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

Aero426

I think Audi started with the big maw grille.   At the time, it looked a lot like the old Auto Union race cars of the 1930's.    On other cars, I think it's a bit of an acquired taste, or worse.

sportony

I don't necessarily think its ugly, but the big open grill was a trademark of the early Chrysler 300s (57 - 59)

Dino

Whoever invented it should be shot, whoever copied it should be shot twice, whoever thinks about copying it...you will likely be shot also.  There...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

I saw a Cadillac today which also had a pretty similar one.  Not as blatantly as those first three in the thread but it was there.

Brock Samson

471_Magnum

I made a pretty good living for a long time manufacturing some butt-ugly grilles.

Being involved with early development and quoting, I'd see some of these coming years in advance. A lot of the cost is factored on projected sales, and styling obviously impacts sales. I'd see some real turds coming down the pipe and just cringe at the project sales volume the customer wanted to amortize tooling against.

Ugliest one in recent memory was the Acura TL. Prior to that was probably the Jeep Commander. Two vehicles with horrible [grille] styling that never met their sales targets.

I don't miss that world....
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

John_Kunkel

Let's face it, gang, they ran out of styling ideas thirty years ago.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dino

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 06, 2012, 03:23:45 PM

Let's face it, gang, they ran out of styling ideas thirty years ago.

1982?  The Delorean DMC-12...yeah I think that's about right.   :icon_smile_big:

GOTWING

The new Charger grill is being called a BASS MOUTH among car guys. :D

Ghoste

Fred

Quote from: Aero426 on April 06, 2012, 09:43:18 AM
I think Audi started with the big maw grille.  

That's right, I remember seeing the first one's thinking how ugly they looked and it steadily got worse. But I'm used to them now and don't even notice them now.

Fred

Quote from: Bob T on April 06, 2012, 04:46:29 AM
Its rampant over here too.
Plastic and un-appealingly black nothingness of style and design cues for Holden and Ford Australia

The Veyron one and those Alfa's are done differently with a bit more style though, although the Veyron's one could also pass for an entrance to a Hobbits Hole

The mrs. loves the Alfa grille best of all.
Can't complain about the Commadore wagon though. Put off buying a new car for the mrs. for years because we couldn't find anything she liked the look of until the new style wagon came along. She's happy as Larry with it (performance and aesthetics)

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

Ford did use a smaller version of that.  lol  But at least they didn't see the need to extend it to below the bumper and black out part of the bumper to give the illusion of an enormous gaping cavern on the front of the car.

Dino

2nd gen camaro had the big gaping grille as well.  Z28 with split bumper.

Ghoste

It wasn't nearly the size of that abomination though.  The version on the SRT, Audi and Mitsu just looks like someone kicked the cars face in.

Kern Dog

As the owner of a classic, I might be expected to have a jaundiced eye toward these late model Chargers... BUt I REALLY like these! Wow... That grille looks really cool to me. Yeah, call it a catfish, a suckerfish, whatever. I'll agree that it is a love it or hate it thing. I have no need for another car payment, and since the wife and I have no kids, I doubt that I'd ever need a 4 door car. Still, I enjoy seeing those on the road.