News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch Smells Terrible But Isnt Slipping

Started by Lizey, March 30, 2012, 06:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizey

On my 1998 Ford F150 4.6 5 speed, I was in second gear and the RPMs went to the roof. I put it in third gear and it went back to normal and I drove it all the way to the shop and it didnt have another issue. When I pulled into the shop it was making the worst smell but the clutch was still working. We let it set for about 2 hours and it still shifts fine and goes into gear fine, but the smell has faintly persisted ever since. The clutch was brand new 6,000 miles ago along with the slave cylinder, it still works but Im afraid its going to fail does anyone know what I can check or know whats going on or anything???
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

kab69440

I am guessing the slave cylinder is going bad. Something is causing it to momentarily lose pressure and allowing the clutch to slip. Was the flywheel cut when the new clutch was installed? New friction plates don't like the wear patterns of the old friction plates.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

elacruze

Check that the slave adjustment allows for the piston to retreat some. I've seen hydro clutches adjusted too tight, people think that since it's hydro that it will be ok-but sometimes the piston can bottom in the bore and keep pressure on the throwout bearing when the disc begins to wear in. Give the adjuster a couple turns out to put some slack in. (assuming the F150 has an adjuster-don't know)
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.