News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exciting day,a new toy arrived !!!!

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, March 29, 2012, 08:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Hi guys,as some of you might know I'm into Buicks as well as Mopars,have an 87 GN that I have owned now for 21 years,a 69 Special streeet/strip car I bought 2 years ago,now selling,and a 75 Regal with 16k orig miles,cruiser.I had sold my 70 GS 455 Stage1 project car back in Oct 11,and decided to try and find one that was basically done to take a project off my plate.Well,after it was gone,as I started searching,you know how it goes,you end up startting to look at other collectable cars as well.I started eyeballing the late 70's Z28's and Trans Am's,I know,you're saying what the heck !!!If you follow those,for nice clean orig low mile examples they have rapidly went up in value,then I was aware of the 79 10th anniversary T/A and thought that was cool looking ride,not a powerhouse as it only had 180 hp,but def collectable.When I started seeing these ,in what I would want for myself,they were $20k and up !!!
Then a friend had mentioned a car that I was well aware of since owning my GN for all that time but really never gave them much thought to own.So,started poking around at those,and again saw a car that was def a collectable,low production number,historical significance,modern with all the bells and whistles,A/C,great MPG,and some power to back it up !!! Then was bit by the bug to own one,so since Dec started looking,and as of last week from searching every online place to search,a forum for these cars,craigslist,etc found one,actually on Ebay.So immediately started the contact with seller,turned out to be a real good guy,reputable,and ended it with a buy it now for me to hit.

So with that,the car that I had chose some of my friends did'nt even know what this was ,a 1989 Pontiac Trans Am 20th Anniversary Official Pace Car.
If most of you don't know what it is,it was a car much like the Buick GNX,it was outsourced to an outside company to build for GM.This time it was to be built for them to insert for the 73rd Indy 500 as the pace car.They came down the line as a GTA,then shipped to Ca to PAS Inc without drivetrains.GM then sent PAS a mass of the 87 turbo Buick 3.8 V6's and trannys.Which they had to modify to fit into the GTA's strut tower eng bay by removing the production 3.8 heads and instal the FWD,much smaller heads.Which turned out to be a blessing in disguise,as those outflowed the standard heads they removed ,jumping up the power.They also used the GNX intercoolers which had 12 fins per inch vs. 10,and set the computer for 16.5 psi of boost vs. the GN's  factory 12 psi.Also changed the fuel delivery.This pushed the HP from the GN's 245 to over 300.They in turn however had to underrate them for warranty issues on the tranny,somehow it was said that if they claimed the 300+ the trannys would'nt make warranty,as were told they would not hold up.
The claim to fame on this car for Pontiac  is that this was the first car in GM's history that DID NOT need any motor work to make enough power to be able to pace @ 176mph out in front of the Indy cars.The three actual pace cars made were randomly pulled out of the cars being built and sent to be outfitted with the strobe lights,decals,etc.
There were 150 as they called them,Festival Cars,that had cloth interior instead of leather and were delivered to Indy that week for parades and persons from the press arriving to cover the race as their cars for the week.
Total cars made were 1,555, 150 being Festival cars,another 36 had cloth,and 24 hardtops.The rest were all identical,leather,T-Tops,loaded.These cars were not numbered per say on the dash,but released form PAS is the build orders,so you can see what your cars number is,and most do know the number they own.
The car I was looking for was 10-15k orig miles,must be orig paint,all orig,no mods,no front plate screws into the bumper cover,etc.
The one I found has 15k orig miles,totally stock,and everything I described .Car #255,tons of paperwork,documents,memorabeilia,orig window sticker,which in 1989 was $35k !!!Pics to follow

69 OUR/TEA

pics.....

69 OUR/TEA

some more...

69 OUR/TEA

The Festival car delivered to Indy....

jdiesel33

Very nice! Always liked that body style. Nice score.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

Aero426

Nice car.  I think I have a brochure for one of those. 

RIDELIKEHELL

:cheers: Cool..I never knew they had a 3.8 turbo in those cars....Love the GN's!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Ghoste

I remember them as a pace car but didn't know about the 3.8 or outside contractor either.  Cangratulations on the purchase.

Back N Black

kokxville

Nice Bird  :2thumbs:
I knew they had 3.8 turbo's.First i didn't know why,but i found out it was the same engine as the GN's had.Fast car indeed.
Good luck with it  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

bill440rt

Looks like a super-clean car, Paul!   :scope:
Congrats on the new ride!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68 CHARGER R/T

Wow Iooks amazing. Fast toys for its time period !

TUFCAT

69 OUR/TEA

Thanks guys,I know it's not a Mopar but figured some might think it's a neat car.

Also,have to give a big thanks to Tom (tufcat),there was one 10 minutes from him that I was very interested in,and he offered to go check it out for me,pick me up at the airport if I was going to fly in,a stay with him while I was there,store the car in his garage until the trucking Co could pick up,etc.But unfortunately another interested party on that one while I was in the planning stage,jumped on it and it sold.Buying the car would have beeen half the fun,hanging out with Tom would have been a great time I'm sure! :2thumbs: :cheers:
This is why I like this forum the best out of any I am on,the people here are stand up people willing to give others a hand . :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

RJS

Good buy Paul!!!  There's a member on Moparts that has one also.
I remember a co-worker taking me with him to a dealer in Jersey back then to buy one.
When I saw the sticker I did everything I could to stop him, that was big money for a firechicken in 89!
Can't remember if he ended up getting one later or not after I left the company.
Drive it like you hate it!!!  They are fun.  Ron

Budnicks

Nice score, I had a couple of SLP/Firehawks & a few Trans Ams in the mid 90's & late 70's
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

68 Bullitt Charger

Hi Paul, I see you found one!!!!!   Congrat's. Look's like mine! LOL   As you know I have my original 89 TTA from the Dealer, Car#932

Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: RJS on March 29, 2012, 04:57:49 PM
Good buy Paul!!!  There's a member on Moparts that has one also.
I remember a co-worker taking me with him to a dealer in Jersey back then to buy one.
When I saw the sticker I did everything I could to stop him, that was big money for a firechicken in 89!
Can't remember if he ended up getting one later or not after I left the company.
Drive it like you hate it!!!  They are fun.  Ron

Hmmmmm Ron,maybe you looked at my car,it came from Brielle Motors in Manasquan,NJ. Yeah,expensive for 89,the window sticker on it was $35k !!!

68 Bullitt Charger

I paid $41K, this was $5K over the sticker. When I went to the dealer they were $5-10K over the sticker new.
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Great timing as well because I just got my issue of Hemmings Muscle machines and its all about the Pace Cars!

:cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SRT-440

Awesome!!! I'm very fond of theses cars and their GN bloodline!
Congrats!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

hatersaurusrex

Very cool car.  Wrap it up and one day it will bring crazy Barrett Jackson moneys :)  Please don't go messing it up by building a KITT out if it LOL.

I'm pretty fond of Pontiacs and Buicks myself.   Always loved the GSX and when I was younger, my three dream rides were a 68 Charger, 70 Trans/Am, and 72 Riviera.   In fact, that's still my list and I've been lucky enough to land the first one :)

Some of us love our Mopars first, but can't turn our backs on all the big block mclovin that's out there hehehe.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

myk

Niiiiiiiice car!  And...I can't believe my '99 F-bird has the same seats and pretty much the same interior as its predecessor from 20 years ago!  Lol...

skip68

Wow!   What a score.    :cheers: 
Those 3.8's are fast.  Congratulations and enjoy it.   :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

kidsixpack

Congrats on the purchase!  I'm the Moparts member that Ron mentioned.  I bought My TTA  about 3 yrs ago and I've really enjoyed it.  Gets 22 mpg on most outings.  Only car that I ever sat in at the Detroit Auto Show and said:  This is what I want.  Took me a while, but I really do have my two favorite cars!  Not to many around.  With the thousands of cars that Cruise Woodward there I've only seen a couple of TTAs that weren't there to meet up withthe Buick guys.   I've wanted to get a GN for years but the TTA has filled that void.
Anyway great to see some Mopar buys that can appreciate what cool cars the TTAs are!
KID
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

TUFCAT

AWESOME!!  AWESOME!!  AWESOME!!  

What a great picture.... :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Paul, if a 5-foot-8 cat ever knocks on your door asking for a ride in your T/A, please give him one...and a bowl of milk (with beer in it) :icon_smile_wink:.

69 OUR/TEA

Bob T

Good score, well done , what a clean looking car  :2thumbs:

Just an aside
I've been keeping and eye on the on-line ads for a Judge for a mate of mine, shocked at the asking prices
Old Dog, Old Tricks.