News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Harry Lee Hyde

Started by Aero426, March 31, 2012, 09:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Tim Wellborn called to say that Harry Lee Hyde passed away tonight.   He had been in hospice.    Those of you who were at St Louis in 2008 will not forget Harry Lee and his stories of working with Bobby Isaac and the K & K race team.   A real loss and one of the last links to the 1970 NASCAR championship team.

Ghoste

Very sad news Doug, and another bit of history gone.

Aero426

That's right.   A lot of first hand knowledge gone.     Tim Wellborn told a story about when they got the K & K Daytona running before they took it to Europe in the 90's, that Harry Lee helped him align it old school with a string.    Harry Lee is in the top left of this photo from Bonneville.

Dave Kanofsky

That is very sad news, he was a great personality. 
At the '99 Talladega meet he helped rebuild the stuck caliper on my SuperBird in the parking lot of the motel, much to the dismay of his family who were waiting to go to dinner!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

Very sad great story teller   way to young
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopurr

I will miss him and his stories, he was such a sweet guy.

Always enjoyed sitting and visiting with him at the meets.

Have such fond memories of him at Rich's and the 2007 Monster Mopar meet.

FJ5WING

What a bad week for racing history. I guess soon will come a day when itll just be stories and facts told second hand.
wingless now, but still around.

69_500

I have about an hour and a half of his stories on tape. Guess it is about time to actually do something with all of the footage I shot years ago. Very nice man, will definitely be missed.

Ghoste

It would be a very worthwhile project I think.

RTDaddy

Sad to hear of this.  Got to spend a lot of time talking with Harry and the crew at the old shop by Charlotte Motor speedway during the 73/74 seasons when they were not running Grandnational due to Nord Krauskopf being "on the outs" with Nascar.  The Daytona was sitting in the corner of the shop then.  Also spent quite some time talking "the old days" whti him while we were waiting for the Bar-B-Que dinner to get set-up at the Winged Warriors meet in Charlotte in '07.  God speed.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH.'
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Jerry C500

Very sorry to hear. Prayers to his family. He will be missed by many. Enjoyed getting to hear his stories in St. Louis.

daytona71

I have always been a big fan of Dodge Daytonas, especially the #71 driven by Bobby. (thats the reason for my log-on "daytona71").  I met Harry Lee at the Winged Warrior meet at Talladega in 1999. He had great stories of that car, his father and Bobby, and their record runs on the salt flats.  He will be missed by many.