News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

classic insurance in ontario

Started by 68 CHARGER R/T, March 28, 2012, 05:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 CHARGER R/T

Hi fellas I am completing the restoration on my charger in a month. I would like to get classic insurance for him, I was advised that we require one daily vehicle driver in order to have classic insurance on the charger (lant)  our daily driver the wife has minor accidents and maybe a speeding ticket  I am the secondary driver on that vehicle would their be any problems for me to get it insured?

404NOTFOUND

I'm with Lant also on the Charger. I don't think you will have any problems. Pretty much everyone is with Lant and I've never heard anyone say a bad word about them. Their rules allow you to enjoy your car to the max too.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

68 CHARGER R/T

So you think even if I'm the secondary driver they shouldn't give me a problem? My record is clean free and been driving for 22 years now

404NOTFOUND

68 CHARGER R/T

Ghoste

Mine is ING.  No claims on the Charger but the coverage on paper and the price were all great. 

68 CHARGER R/T

Thanks fellas I will look into it tommorow.  :2thumbs:

RIDELIKEHELL

So what do these 2 companys offer? I was thinking going to go through my regular company Dominion that I used for my daily driver. They wanted an appraisal and I would have an agreed value but it requires an appraisal if I want to increase the value at any time(makes sense). In the ballpark of $800 a year my agent told me but I can drive where ever I want and just put fire and theft on it in the winter which will drop the yearly cost quite a bit. With other companys (classic car insurance) since the plan is so low money wise its on all the time but there is a lot of rules to follow of where you can park etc and it can't be removed in the winter for instance. Any input gents :popcrn:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Back N Black

I with Silver Wheels, no problems. I pay $350 a year full coverage. They are based out of Quebec.  :2thumbs:

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Back N Black on March 29, 2012, 06:45:19 AM
I with Silver Wheels, no problems. I pay $350 a year full coverage. They are based out of Quebec.  :2thumbs:

Can you go to the grocery store etc and be covered or just car shows and repairs? I've heard they wont cover you if say you stop for dinner somewhere on your way home from a show and you get in an accident?
AMD POSTER BOY

Back N Black

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on March 29, 2012, 07:05:38 AM

Can you go to the grocery store etc and be covered or just car shows and repairs? I've heard they wont cover you if say you stop for dinner somewhere on your way home from a show and you get in an accident?
Some punk kid cut my vinyl roof at Canadian Tire last fall and no questions asked, it was repaired and insurance rates did not go up. Actually i told them that i was out cruising around and stopped at 5 different place during the day.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Back N Black on March 29, 2012, 11:29:21 AM
Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on March 29, 2012, 07:05:38 AM

Some punk kid cut my vinyl roof at Canadian Tire last fall and no questions asked, it was repaired and insurance rates did not go up. Actually i told them that i was out cruising around and stopped at 5 different place during the day.

Thx for the insight!
AMD POSTER BOY

RoscoePColtrain

Got mine with State Farm.  Paying $200 a month, plus 50 cents for every month it's in storage.  But I can use the car whenever and where ever... even as a daily (which I don't).

$200 a month is still disgusting!  Lant or Silverwheels here I come!

68 CHARGER R/T

That's who I'm with roscoe.  Same range price ridiculous for weekend cruiser or show drive !

404NOTFOUND

My regular company for my daily driver announced that they now have cheaper classic car insurance but after checking the rates, even my broker had to admit there was no way they could compete with Lant Silver Wheels. With Lant, you can drive your car anywhere, anytime as long as it is connected to the hobby. That means you can't drive to work but, if you drive it to your work on your off time to show it off to your co workers, that's part of the hobby.

Ghoste

What if you work in a business connected to the hobby, wonder what they would say about that?

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Ghoste on March 29, 2012, 03:47:42 PM
What if you work in a business connected to the hobby, wonder what they would say about that?

I'm sure there are grey areas where you would have to justify. I guess you have to think about what you would do with your Charger vs your daily driver. I figure I'm cruising if I drop off and pick up my wife at the mall but I would certainly never leave it there if I went in with her. Obviously if you are out cruising all day, you have to stop and eat. I think you could argue that if you parked in a safe spot and sat by the window at McDonalds watching your car, then you should be OK. Having lunch two blocks away might be another matter. That is my point. I never leave my car unattended but, I still gotta live. The rates are dirt cheap for careful classic car owners. Careless slobs who just want to ride the cheap rate train will be punished.

Ghoste

As they should really.  Part of the reason the rates are so low for vintage stuff is useage and mileage which being less, naturally makes the claim risk lower for the carrier.

B5charger

Silverwheel is the way to go in Ontario.  The rates are great for year-round coverage.  I like the agreed valve with the appraisal for accidents.  I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with claims from them. 

CAPER

I've been using Hagerty in Ontario. Email Pics and they will bind without an appraisal.

Dodge Don

$200 per month? Yikes. I'm with Lant Silver Wheels (now Haggarty) and it is dirt cheap. Full year agreed value  :2thumbs:

RIDELIKEHELL

I may drive it to work a few times but in reality it would be better to drive there on my happy friday. I will look at all the above options...thx again :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

68 CHARGER R/T

,Took them a while to get back to to me but hagerty quoted me at $1270 a year,  plus if I want to get their 200 km Flat bed tow for an extra $90 a year.  This is for a 65000 k value   you guys think its good or to much?    rob