News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Burnt out on my charger project.

Started by 440, March 26, 2012, 08:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm burnt out on my Charger project mainly due the difficulty of obtaining parts/materials to continue working on it here in Australia.

The thing that really kicked off the downward spiral is R/T Specialties. I've bought stuff from Tom in the past without any issues but this last one really took the wind out of my sails. I placed an order before Christmas which never arrived, so I rang up after Cristmas to ask about it. I figured since my card was never charged I'd place an order again. Well, it too never arrived so I ring back to ask about it and he says it's been sent. So I wait and wait and still nothing. I ring up again and am advised it should of been here by then and will re-send it again. It's been a while, still nothing and my card has never been charged so I give up with them.

This issue coupled with my car still not being started in the panel shop, and a few other issues has really put me off it.

I've recently ordered most things I've wanted from R/T Specialties through MegaParts so when they arrive hopefully it will spark some intrest back in the charger.

In saying that anyone know where to get small fiddly things like the ash tray rubber bumpers, correct speed nuts, and blower motor rubber vibration insulators other than R/T Specialties.

Dino

Forget about R/T specialties, obviously that's not going to work out.  I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to help you out with the parts you need. 

Get your car out of the shop.  I'm guessing it's a collision shop, they will not touch your car until they run out of insurance claim work, which may never happen.  Find a shop that specializes in restos, not collision.

You'll get out of this frame of mind once things are happening, right now it's just a drain on you.  But don't let it get to you too much, these things happen and it's easy to lose interest and perspective.  It WILL turn around again for the better.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

And burn out is a common malady, you have to just keep the faith and work through it.  Sometimes a little break from the car doesn't hurt either.

redmist

Take smaller chunks of work, and do the fun stuff now. I purchased parts for my engine and built that when I was burnt out working on the car itself. Had a blast!
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

I have a pretty big pile of parts here ready to go on the car pending small loose ends that I can't tie up.  I'm not trying to bag R/T specialties but it's extremely dissapointing when they have the market cornered and you cant buy from them.

How long have I been working on the dash/interior Dino? Too long. The heater box has been ongoing for 6 months which is rediculous, it should have been done and installed in the car ages ago.

It's a crash/resto type shop which is fine except he's slowed way down on the resto work. He's done many classics but is starting to steer away from that side of the business.

I find the lack of knowledge, availability, and types of products available here extremely annoying. It took 2 weeks to finally find the 3M adhesive I was after.

Dino

Quote from: 440 on March 26, 2012, 09:48:03 AM
I have a pretty big pile of parts here ready to go on the car pending small loose ends that I can't tie up.  I'm not trying to bag R/T specialties but it's extremely dissapointing when they have the market cornered and you cant buy from them.

How long have I been working on the dash/interior Dino? Too long. The heater box has been ongoing for 6 months which is rediculous, it should have been done and installed in the car ages ago.

It's a crash/resto type shop which is fine except he's slowed way down on the resto work. He's done many classics but is starting to steer away from that side of the business.

I find the lack of knowledge, availability, and types of products available here extremely annoying. It took 2 weeks to finally find the 3M adhesive I was after.

I feel your frustration.  When I was in Europe I had the same problems.

I would talk to the shop owner and tell him that you understand what he's trying to do with his business, but it puts you in an akward position and you will have to take the car back.  Either he agrees with that or he moves your car to the top of the list.  I honestly wouldn't count on the latter.

Yeah it's been a long time for those parts and that gets really annoying.  What shape is the car in right now?  What needs to be done to it to make it a driver?  Working on the little things is much more pleasant when you can say screw it and hop in to take a trip and forget about your worries for a while.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

daytona71

Try Metro for small rubber parts.  http://www.metrommp.com
For small rubber parts and foam gaskets try  http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

Cooter

I find it funny that a resto project that sits at a bodyshop for 3 years is unacceptable, yet one that sits outside our houses for sometimes as many as 7 years is totally ok...Work through it, as that's how the rest of us get by.

My poor Challenger has been put on back burner for over 3 years now doing my cousin's Camaro and my boy's '66 plymouth. Your money spends just like anybody elses, find another place to buy, and you'll be back in business.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dans 68

Yep, work through it. My '68 had fender bender last year and is still not fixed. I have been way too busy with work and family to even look at it. It will still be there when I get the time and/or energy to attack it again. Small steps will also help in getting the wrenches out. In my case Scott at Harms is rebuilding a carb for it. Once I get that in my hands I will be inspired/motivated/guilted to get it installed, which will start the dominoes falling. Pick your poison....  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

roger440

Im in the UK too, and getting parts, especially the right parts is real hard sometimes. You think you have everything covered, try to do the job, find you need something, then wait for weeks for it to turn up! Assuming you can get it.

Guess thats why im at 12 years so far  ::)

But thats restoration if yiou want to do it right.  Its a big undertaking for sure. Next car im buying is done already. My life is too short. alwys sounds expensive, but when i look at what ive spent.................................................
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

383_68charger

Look up national moparts in Beverton Ontario Canada,they know what they are talking about.I don't know about shipping to over there but it won't hurt to check it out.They can get me every rubber gasket ,bumpers,window seals,wiskers everthing from front to back in a kit including plugs ,every thing for around 875$ can.I could find a better price but they know what they are doing and they know witchs seal etc are the better ones some don't fit properly.You get what you pay for lol.

TUFCAT

Heck, I've been burned it with improving my car in the past two years.  I'll never sell it though.

bordin34

I was burnt out a bit on my Charger so...
I bought this

Then sold the Valiant and bought this

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

TUFCAT

Nice Porsche...was year 944 is that?

bordin34

1986, it handles like its on rails. It came from the factory with forged wheels and the sport suspension. Only 150hp but lots of fun.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Dino - The car is pretty well complete with the exception of the dash/heater box being out, and the tail stripped for a new tail panel and valance.

Daytona71 - There's a few things there I'm after. Thanks.

Roger440 - Your bang on the money..... Or buy a chevy/ford.

383_68Charger - Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Darkman

Just convert it into a General Lee........oh wait......... :nana:

Maybe you should just try living in the US........oh wait......  :nana:

Seriously though, here's some motivation for ya!

Just think, you're a lot closer to menacing the streets than I am
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Well, concidering it was menacing the streets before I decided to pull the dash out for a quick freshen up, how wrong was I. Should have left it alone. They say take your budget and double it, I'd say more like quadruple it.   :rotz:

Seeing your pics cheers me up though  :nana:  although at this rate you'll finish yours first. You're making great progress on yours and I look forward to seeing it come together.

I know once the smaller fiddly things come together progress will start to take shape quite quickly.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: 440 on March 26, 2012, 08:47:03 AM
I'm burnt out on my Charger project mainly due the difficulty of obtaining parts/materials to continue working on it here in Australia.
so, what are you selling it for  :D
i've had an american car and feel your pain. (Pontiac Firebird ftw)

You getting anything shipped, make sure he puts tracking on it. 80% gets through fine, the other 20% goes missing.

Fred

Quote from: Cooter on March 26, 2012, 11:49:34 AM
I find it funny that a resto project that sits at a bodyshop for 3 years is unacceptable, yet one that sits outside our houses for sometimes as many as 7 years is totally ok...Work through it, as that's how the rest of us get by.

My poor Challenger has been put on back burner for over 3 years now doing my cousin's Camaro and my boy's '66 plymouth. Your money spends just like anybody elses, find another place to buy, and you'll be back in business.

That's because generally when they're sitting away from home you're paying someone to do the work so you want it done.
You want the car back as soon as possible so that it can sit at home instead.   :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: daytona71 on March 26, 2012, 10:43:26 AM
Try Metro for small rubber parts.  http://www.metrommp.com
For small rubber parts and foam gaskets try  http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

I got a lot of my bits and pieces from detroitmuscletechnologies too. Had no problems. Most of what I ordered from USA (whatever  company) always arrived very quickly.

Detroit Muscle Technologies has been above and beyond excellent, you couldn't find nicer people.

Most companies have been great. I just don't like it when someone keeps leading you on. If you have no intention of sending something tell me so I don't waste my time.

Maybe I should just steal Freds car for a couple of hours.....

Fred

Quote from: 440 on March 27, 2012, 12:49:15 AM
Detroit Muscle Technologies has been above and beyond excellent, you couldn't find nicer people.

Most companies have been great. I just don't like it when someone keeps leading you on. If you have no intention of sending something tell me so I don't waste my time.

Maybe I should just steal Freds car for a couple of hours.....

That's very funny. What part of the country are you in................do I need to worry?

We're heading over to Victoria this weekend   :D

bull

I would be very surprised if you have any trouble with megaparts. Although many of these places are only as good as the businesses that deliver for them. Megaparts has had probably 90% of the stuff I have needed but they can be slow to get back to you once your online  order has been placed so once I make my orders I call the next day to get it going. The reason they can be slow is because they figure exact shipping rather than do an automated charge so your total is figured manually based on your address and then they contact you with the total. It's good and bad doing it that way but I don't mind since it's more hands on and I'm saving on shipping.