News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who sells seat emblems / medallions? No luck so I had to make my own

Started by oldcarnut, April 28, 2012, 03:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I was looking for some emblem sources for my 70 RR bench seat backs and so far no repops.  Since I'm putting on new upholstery I wanted to see what new emblems would run but so far no luck.  Mine are decent but have started some very small pitting. Did a search here and came up empty too.  Anyone got a link to some?   They're just rectangular medallions clipped through the seat covers.  Thanks

Ghoste

That is one of those items I can't recall ever noticing in a repro catalog.  I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have to look in the nos or excellent used category for a set.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

oldcarnut

That's what I was seeing too on searches and nuttin on Ebay.  I'll have to go back to the upholstery shop and get one of them and see what it would take to make some if possible  :scratchchin: before he gets to the point of assembling everything.

kab69440

I posted an ad on that other Mopar website for '67  upholstery medallions and had a set on the way in less than three days.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

oldcarnut

I had one guy that listed a nice pair on Ebay for me with a BIN for cheap and somebody else snatched before I could hit the button  :flame:   Sooo like a lot of other things I started to make my own set from stainless.  At least they'll never flake or pit on me.  Here's what I got so far.  About 80% done with some triming/detailing and polishing left to do.  I think they'll work out ok.  The top one is the original

bull

Good job. I too have been forced to make some parts lately but to my fortune they aren't visible. I hate trying to make parts (especially interior) that are supposed to be aesthetically correct. They never seem to look quite right.

oldcarnut

This would be one of those things that took a lot of work and will probably never be noticed by anyone but me but I'm happy with the results.  Unfortunately sometimes we gotta make stuff because its just not availible or will take a lot of time or money to locate some.  Here's the finished results.  Original is in the middle.

bull

So how did you make the groove that runs around the outer edge?

oldcarnut

I used an endmill with the angle cut on it similar to the pic.  I did it on a older manual feed Bridgeport drilling/milling machine.  I filed the corners to give some roundness and used a hand held belt sander to give the lined finish on the top and then buffed it out.

bull

I was going to guess you used a mill. Real tough to get anything straight like that doing it freehand.