News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what headers will work w/ a 440 rb w/ stage 6 heads?

Started by hard-charger, March 21, 2012, 05:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

Hi, I've got a 440 in the works, and was wondering what headers will work for a 440 rb w/ stage 6 heads. I've herd they are raised port, but I've never used these heads before.. The headers I've got are 2in. Dougs headers. Will they work? Or do I need a special design? Thanks.

Ghoste

My understanding was that the Mopar Stage VI heads will accept regular style headers.  I believe you are correct, they are the Max Wedge style ports but they are okay with the common Mopar headers.

Charger4404spd

If you do have to buy new headers, Id be interested in the Dougs set  :2thumbs:

hard-charger

Thanks for the replies. So they should slide right into a 1969 charger?

Ghoste

Haha, that remains to be seen.  Headers seem to rarely just "slide right in". ;)

Brads70

I'm just building a 451" now using those heads. On a RB It's my understanding  the exhaust ports will be higher than stock. ( that's why you need intake spacers when used on a 440) So you may /will have some issues. On a B block they put them at the same height as a stock RB and you use a 440 intake with no spacers . Mine were not Max wedge size ports. I just ported them to a header gasket.

firefighter3931

The Dougs headers are basicly a copy of the TTI's so they will work just fine. A stage 6 head has raised intake port runners but the exhaust port is in basicly the same location as a stock head. The ex ports are slightly elevated similar to an Edelbrock RPM or Indy EZ but headers that fit with factory heads also work with these. Usually, plug clearance is more of an issue than body clearance with angled plug heads.

The Dougs work with both straight & angled plug heads....nice headers.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

myk

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 22, 2012, 08:38:45 AM
The Dougs headers are basicly a copy of the TTI's so they will work just fine.

Just noticed this thread.  So if the Doug's are copies did they manage to copy the superior fitment of TTi's as well?  They're cheaper too, right?

dstryr

I put the Doug's D452s on my 69 440 RR, fit great and after one year are still tight with no leaks and  I used the fiber gaskets that came with the headers.  Driver's side dropped right in, pass side I fought, but I think that's standard.

I have a short socket clamped into a vice-grips in my tool bucket for the pass side 2(I think)&4 plugs where I have to reach under the headers.  Can't get there with a wrench or ratchet.  The rest I can reach, a couple are kind of tough, but overall I'd buy Doug's again. :2thumbs:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

ACUDANUT

myk

Why?  Also, how difficult are they to find?  

-Just checked the bay, and they look about as expensive as a new set of headers; I'd rather have new, unless there's a reason why factory HP manifolds are better...

ACUDANUT

Headers burn out starters.  They also usually require to unbolt the engine and raise on side or the other to get them on.  Don't forget steering linkage, and other issues which require putting dents here in there to make them work.  Just my 2 cents.

myk

I see what you're saying.  However, is it true that the TTi headers have no clearance issues, or is that all marketing hype/rumor?

Ghoste

It's the truth.  They are made by Mopar people for Mopar cars, it's the only thing and brand they do.

myk

Huh.  Wow well I know what Headers I'll be getting!  Worth every penny if you ask me...

rt green

third string oil changer