News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

portable lifts

Started by 41husk, March 21, 2012, 01:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

Looking at a Benpac mid rise portable scissor lift says it will lift over 4 ft high.  Does anyone have any exsperience with these lifts?  I dont have the Cieling height for the two or 4 post lifts.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

If nobody chimes in with any Bend-Pak info, try asking the same question on "The Garage Journal" forum. There are lots of people over there with lifts.   :cheers:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparguy01

take a look at the max jax lifts. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DMR-1375659/

ive heard very good things about them, and they are a 2 post style lift, for people who have height issues.

chargerboy69

My buddy has this lift right here for two years and I will tell you he loves it.  He does not have tall enough ceilings for a regular lift, and went with this.

He does a lot of work on FWD cars and pulling a engine and transmission are fairly easy.  If you get a RWD car on one of these, access is very limited. For oil changes, brakes and front and rear suspension stuff it would work well.

I have had all my cars on it, including both Chargers and even my Yukon.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-MR-06-Portable-Midrise-Lift
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

NHCharger

Quote from: chargerboy69 on March 21, 2012, 08:30:03 PM
My buddy has this lift right here for two years and I will tell you he loves it.  He does not have tall enough ceilings for a regular lift, and went with this.

He does a lot of work on FWD cars and pulling a engine and transmission are fairly easy.  If you get a RWD car on one of these, access is very limited. For oil changes, brakes and front and rear suspension stuff it would work well.

wow. I've been looking at lifts like that one. That's a smokin' price.

Daum, they got a store just over an hour from me. My credit card is starting to heat up.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Troy

That's exactly the type he's asking about. Snap-On makes one as well - which I think Brian (1hotdaytona) owns. There was a different brand here on my local Craigslist that I considered buying but couldn't pull the trigger. After this last winter I'd kill to have a small lift.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Troy on March 22, 2012, 11:33:17 AM
That's exactly the type he's asking about. Snap-On makes one as well - which I think Brian (1hotdaytona) owns. There was a different brand here on my local Craigslist that I considered buying but couldn't pull the trigger. After this last winter I'd kill to have a small lift.

Troy

You are correct sir. Id pull the trigger on the BendPak if I had to do it over ,nice savings over Snap on for the Same hoist.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 22, 2012, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: Troy on March 22, 2012, 11:33:17 AM

Troy

You are correct sir. Id pull the trigger on the BendPak if I had to do it over ,nice savings over Snap on for the Same hoist.

I'll second that,I bought a new 2 post Bendpak lift last year,great quality IMO,and their customer service is awesome,will answer any questions you have,and stand behind their product.

41husk

Thanks Guys! are the Bendpacs made in the U.s?  I have found a few other brands for a few hundred less but they are all Chineese.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

chargerboy69

Quote from: NHCharger on March 21, 2012, 08:35:18 PM

wow. I've been looking at lifts like that one. That's a smokin' price.

Daum, they got a store just over an hour from me. My credit card is starting to heat up.

I was amazed at the quality of this lift.  It has been issue free and is extremely solid. It is very heavy, however, it moves around the garage very easily and if I remember correctly it folds up to store easily.

The showroom in Indy is huge and loaded with garage goodies.  They have everything they sell set up inside and keep everything in stock.

If you go, you may want to call your credit card company first to up your limit as it is hard to come out of the store with just one thing.  ;)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on March 22, 2012, 12:38:41 PM
Thanks Guys! are the Bendpacs made in the U.s?  I have found a few other brands for a few hundred less but they are all Chineese.

I've been reading that over the last several years, the Bend-Pak lifts are being made overseas. I don't know if it's all models they sell, or a portion of them, or even if it's parts for stuff assembled here.

Here is where I bought the two, 4 post lifts from..... http://www.e-autolifts.com/

Maybe you can ask them directly about the origin?   :shruggy:

I know they were fast to respond & take care of a problem I had replacing a cable that I screwed up during assembly.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

I am leaning towards the MD 6xp model.  It is $1915 delivered.  I am a little concerned with the access to everything under with it in the air?  I like the pit style it is a little more but only lifts 26" were the mid range lifts over 4'.  I can almost stand completly upright under it at that height.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on March 22, 2012, 01:07:36 PM
I am leaning towards the MD 6xp model.  It is $1915 delivered.  I am a little concerned with the access to everything under with it in the air?  I like the pit style it is a little more but only lifts 26" were the mid range lifts over 4'.  I can almost stand completly upright under it at that height.

You're only 26" tall?

I'll trade you a Barbie car with cup holders for that black thing with the red wing. You'll be able to see over the dash much easier.   :icon_smile_big:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RIDELIKEHELL

Great price! And is portable...hmmmmmm I may look into one down the road. :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

41husk

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 22, 2012, 01:48:23 PM
Quote from: 41husk on March 22, 2012, 01:07:36 PM

You're only 26" tall?

I'll trade you a Barbie car with cup holders for that black thing with the red wing. You'll be able to see over the dash much easier.   :icon_smile_big:

The Bendpack scissor mid rise lifts 4 1/2 ft I am 5'5 so I wouldnt have to bend much!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Troy

I did a quick Google search and there's tons of information. Some of the Corvette/Porsche guys sink them into the floor and others build platforms around them to compensate for the low ride height. One common modification is to put plate aluminum or steel on the floor under the rollers as the front is stationary while the back "walks" forward - with the whole weight of the car on the rollers which may damage your concrete. It seems like you have good access to wheels, suspension, and most fluid drain points front and rear. I don't know that you could pull/install a transmission or exhaust. In the latter case, has anyone used one of these to just raise one end of the car (presumably by moving the lifting pads toward the center)?

Check out this review:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/1483905-bend-pak-md-6xp-scissor-lift-install-review-20-pics-and-long-no-56k.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

41husk

Thanks Troy, that is the lift I think I am going to get!  I went to the same Co. that vett guy went to but they don't seem to carry Bendpac.  The Co. he said not to go with seems to have the lowest price but I am still searching.  I would love to get it for under $1600!  The lowest I have seen is $1915 but they agreed to waive the $40 home delivery.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

69 OUR/TEA

This is what I found when I bought my Bendpak lift,the structure(columns and arms)are made offshore,yes, in their China factory.The difference is that what is made in that factory is ONLY Bendpak,the other Chinese lifts you see,Eagle,Prokar,Pro Park,etc,etc are all the same lifts made in pretty much the same factory.They are painted diff colors per where they are going here for the distrbutors,whuch they call and label with their own names.
The Bendapk chain,cylinders,and motor/pump is an American made unit.Whereas the others are all made in China.
Also,not becuase I have one,but Bendpak looks to me to do far much more research and testing for their products. :Twocents:

41husk

Well after a couple of weeks of research i finaly pulled the trigger on a garage lift.  I don't have the cieling clearance for a full size lift and decided to go with the Bendpack MD6XP mid rise portable.  I found the place with the best price (saved about $150), only to find out it is on back order until 4/12/12.  I probably won't get my lift until late April.  I guess I have been without a lift this long another month won't kill me :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on March 29, 2012, 09:37:29 AM
Well after a couple of weeks of research i finaly pulled the trigger on a garage lift.  I don't have the cieling clearance for a full size lift and decided to go with the Bendpack MD6XP mid rise portable.  I found the place with the best price (saved about $150), only to find out it is on back order until 4/12/12.  I probably won't get my lift until late April.  I guess I have been without a lift this long another month won't kill me :brickwall:

You can save more than $150 if you make your own.   :D

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

Nice, but I think that is a ramp not a lift :scratchchin: I will be able to go a little higher than that and move it around easier.  I will let you know how I like it after it comes in.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

1970Moparmann

Did you get your lift?  Any comments?  I'm in the market for one.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

rt green

third string oil changer

69 OUR/TEA

:popcrn:   :popcrn:  I'm looking into poss getting a Mid-rise now to.

Magnumcharger

I ordered a BendPak scissor lift, model MD6XP.
I'm currently waiting for it to be delivered!! :cheers:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

41husk

I got the md6xp and like it.  it does pull alot of elsctric under load.  I have to unplug the fridge or a trip a circuit breaker.  I need to get garage rewired :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 41husk on May 22, 2012, 08:27:00 AM
I got the md6xp and like it.  it does pull alot of elsctric under load.  I have to unplug the fridge or a trip a circuit breaker.  I need to get garage rewired :brickwall:

So, I guess putting a 100amp entrance on my new garage is probably a good idea?  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69 OUR/TEA

Well,I pulled the trigger also and purchased a mid rise lift,a Revolution RMR6.As I did with my 4 post and 2 post lifts,alot of research went into what I was going to buy.As others here have,I was moments away from buying the Bendpak after looking at all the cheaper full blown Chinese versions out there,but very close to me was a Rotary Lift dealer,so decided to call them and see what they had to offer.They did have 6 in stock of their Revolution line,so being 15 min from me I went to go see them and check them out in person to see the way it was built and if it was the same thing as the cheaper ones.
To say the least,I was impressed with the Revolution and the way it was constructed,very beefy compared to the cheaper chinese ones from all the lift dealers.Again,you can tell the Bendpak is of very good quality, blows away all those mass produced lesser quality brands.
But,I chose the Revolution for just a few small reasons,and  now that I have it,will explain and show some pics as to why, so those shopping for one now can see good pics of both to help make your desicion.
I am speaking of the Revolution vs. the Bendpak,and in no way am putting down the Bendpak as it is a kick ass lift without doubt.
1. The dealer is right up the road from me,and if ever a problem,hopefully quick results.
2.  I like the truck adapters alittle better as they are'nt a fixed height,they thread up and down for fine adjustments in height.
3. This is what really made my desicion,I prefer the way the Revolution unlocks compared to the BP.The Revolution just has to go up maybe 1/2'',pull the brake style lever to unlock and go down.The BP has an automatic lock release that basically you go up a few inches to trip a lever,then you can go down.Heres why,if I ever put my car to close to the ceiling,it could poss get trapped on the BP,whereas the Revolution,you can go up till you can squeeze the handle to unlock it.I.E,by accident you jump over another lock and get within 2'' of the ceiling,you are lifting the car by the frame,so there is no letting the air out of the tires to give you more room like if it were on a four post lift.
Anyway,if you click on Troys link,there is some good closeup pics of the BP,and heres some of the Revolution so that you can see from customers who have them,not just on dealers advertisements.

69 OUR/TEA

Couple other things to point out,grease fitting on the main shaft connecting the scissor,and large resivoir for fluid on the motor/pump.Another cool gadget on it is there are springs on the bottom corners so when it comes down,it does'nt slam ,the springs cushion the weight of the lift itself coming off the cylinders.
And a couple of pics showing another lift,Atlas,that you can see the diff of the size of the cylinders and how they are attached to the frame,ntm,the container for the fluid is very small.The Bendpak and Revolutions cylinders are massive compared to the $1,400-1,500 lifts.