News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pertronix II

Started by 375instroke, March 03, 2012, 11:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Tired of my car running like crap with points that keep wearing out.  Blue Streak used to last a while, but I can only find crap these days, so I got a Pertronix II and their .6Ω coil.  Says it will work with or without the resistor.  Easier to wire it without the resistor, so I'll just do that.  Anything I should know about?  Do the plugs wear out faster or something?  The coil can take a full 12V?  They say to do it, so I guess it's OK.

Chryco Psycho

the biggest thing is to NOT wire the Pertronix power wire to the coil where the voltage is reduced , make sure it goes back the the blue wire @ the ballast where you get 12v switched power , Most coils are not designed for 12V full time feed but maybe somehow that one is .

mhinders

You can safely wire it to the switched 12V side, just follow their instructions. You don't want a system with the old ballast resistor, you want all that power out to your spark plugs instead.
Most modern electronic ignition control modules have a built in coil current limiting feature, that will prevent the coil from burning up if ignition is switched on and the engine is not started. Your Pertronix II has it, as well as my Pertronix III.
However, I'm still careful not to leave the ignition on without immediately starting the engine.

Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

cowboy4x4n

skip the pertronix 2 and go for the 3.  i havent been more happy