News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keeping your Charger through divorce.

Started by Chargerrtforme, March 20, 2012, 07:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerrtforme

I hate to have to write about this but times are not well at the home front. My question. Does the ole trick of selling your car cheap to a friend or family member before divorce work?  If so, how long before its oblivious of what you did and the courts don't buy it.
If you did it years before divorce  would you not tell the wife but re register it?  Now the new fake owner would have to do that for you and insure etc.
Thoughts?

doctor4766

Here in Oz, the courts will check the sale of assets in recent times just to make sure this sorta thing hasn't been going on.
When I was going through the splitting of assets I was going to pay out my ex wife in cash for half the value of the Charger, but my lawyer canned that idea. He said that the car had to be included along with all the other goods and chattels that we owned together and be DOCUMENTED, otherwise she could have come back 12 months later and declared half ownership and demanded payment for half the value of the car.
I'm sure things would be similar on your side of the pond, so my advice is to declare everything and only get screwed once.   
Gotta love a '69

Drache

Talk to a divorce attorney and get real legal advice
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Old Moparz

Sounds like a crappy scenario to be in, sorry to hear that.   ::)

The only thing I can add is to try to "devalue" the car as much as possible & keep records of it. Save ebay auctions of only the cars that sell low, & make comparisons of yours to them. Find every blemish, incorrect nut, bolt, part, defect or whatever, & compile them into a deduction. I have no idea if this will actually work, but I'd be willing to bet that the other attorney will be doing the opposite by finding every Hemi car, or RT/SE with a sunroof & air conditioning out there in hopes of proving that your car is worth millions.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

Have it appraised for low $ and keep that paper work.  My wife thinks all my cars are old junk, but she would go after them in a settlement just because she knows I love them.  If I die they wil all be for sale before they can get the dirt back in the hole :slap:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Chargerrtforme

We're not there yet but I'm a little worried as I'm sure many have the same fear when times are hard in the family. I guess if we split the value and I paid her half off it would be ok. If its worth 30 and I give her 15 it's a good deal to own at that price. Just curious if a year before divorce was filed you sold the car to a  sister or brother if you'd get away with it?  Legally speaking. Not going to lawyer yet. Examples here will be fine.

This thread alone probably just ruined that idea.  :eek2:

Ghoste

If she has a good enough attorney it won't matter one bit what your previous appraisal says the cars are worth.

resq302

Simple, start taking the car apart and keeping parts at various friends houses.  Therefor the car will not be worth that much since it is not a whole or complete car.  then, after the fact, you can just piece it back together.   Just a thought.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chargerrtforme

Here's my newest thought. She has the nice car in the family. You keep that. I keep mine. I drive a company truck so I don't have a car outside of the Charger.

djcarguy

IF YA CAR IS worth 20-30k she and lawyer will be after it or top cash value..   in oregon all she has to have is picture or id #"s or witness and you pay top book value.. here just live and migill ya money for 2 years and you lose half..

best is a stipulated statment ,between you and her,no lawyer or judge dividing your life,then get it all in writting and legal.save a ton in legal fees and the hatred that builds fighting over all the stupid little stuff..never ,never pay her any cash in advance to seal a deal ,wont prove out later.

yes 2 divorces,first she got new car i could live without,i got house and all my old cars and parts,,, was,,no kids  cost me $175 for attrony to type and file 20 yr ago.second was a mess,2sons so cars were not top on my list which took the power away of her threatening to go after the cars. i told her i would just cut my 67 ragtop in half and dump it at her daddys yard.. and if she wanted the house ,i would leave the state and all the cars and parts for her to deal with,,or i would burn it all down,with me in it  too.never pay her legal fees,she has no reason to settle if your the one paying to drag it out...sorry guy//good luck

djcarguy

Quote from: Chargerrtforme on March 20, 2012, 09:15:33 AM
Here's my newest thought. She has the nice car in the family. You keep that. I keep mine. I drive a company truck so I don't have a car outside of the Charger.

big ?????????do ya have kids with her???????if yes you have way bigger things to look at and pay for,,till they are 21yr old if in school??????

and the my car her car????? all depends what is paid off or not? charger value goes up and newer car value goes down the crapper??

but if charger is apart or rusty front or back just crash that end and fix after divorce,,,big gamble,but lowers the value,really fast and she wont want it for the new guy,,,again sorry,,it is the lowest time and ya really see the hate come out in your ,,,loved one...till death ya part;;didnt know ya was settin a goal.take her swimming ,haha..

Hemi Runner

Go get a better lawyer than hers and leave her pennyless... if she's like most women, she deserves it.

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Drache on March 20, 2012, 07:57:32 AM
Talk to a divorce attorney and get real legal advice
:iagree:

Yes, and you better get a mean ruthless SOB or you will be left pennyless. Protect all your assets at all costs.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

Chargerrtforme

My buddy was paying 760.00 a week to his x wife at first. It finally worked out where she had a nursing degree and was advised to get back to work and that helped him out. They had 3 kids so that killed him financially.
I'm good so far. Just thinking.  :scratchchin:

Chargerrtforme

We're both good people just losing that loving feeling. I think this could work?

"  best is a stipulated statment ,between you and her,no lawyer or judge dividing your life,then get it all in writting and legal.save a ton in legal fees and the hatred that builds fighting over all the stupid little stuff..never ,never pay her any cash in advance to seal a deal ,wont prove out later. "

twodko

The world and the environment would be so much nicer and cleaner if 99% of shysters were executed! The only ones to come out ahead in anything involving shysters is the shysters. They are nothing more than legally sanctioned liars, thieves and bullies.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

C928BRAN

In my case, i came out with everything, both cars (69 charger) (58 plymouth christine), and the house. its amazing what you can keep, when you have dirt on them, from thier deciet, from their secret life. i never thought i could be so happy being single, because the last 5 years of my marriage was hell. i hope you can keep it, but sometimes they dont care, about the car, they just want it, because they know you love it.

good luck.

chargerboy69

My Charger went through two divorces.  Both ex-wifes really did not care.  In both circumstances I agree not to touch their 401K if they left the Charger alone.  In ex-wife number two's case she had $75,000.00 in her 401K, so it was wise of her to accept my offer.

Of course she did get my house and 2000 square foot garage.  :-\
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Darkman

Sounds like you are both reasonable people. Negotiate....

Why does it seem that all divorces are/have to be nasty? If this is just a growing apart issue, then it seems to me it can be ended amicably and both parties walk away with a happy settlement.  :Twocents:

but at the end of the day, get serious legal advice, don't do anything that will only make it worse for you in the long run.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

b5blue

Darkman's right, My Ex and I split up and did the paperwork (Mostly me) ourselves. I need not be war if you both try to be fair.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: C928BRAN on March 20, 2012, 03:15:01 PM
In my case, i came out with everything, both cars (69 charger) (58 plymouth christine), and the house. its amazing what you can keep, when you have dirt on them, from thier deciet, from their secret life. i never thought i could be so happy being single, because the last 5 years of my marriage was hell. i hope you can keep it, but sometimes they dont care, about the car, they just want it, because they know you love it.

good luck.
:o  Wow, good for you.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Chargerrtforme

Happy to report things seem ok, for now.  And as I said before were both good kind people and hopefully will work with each other to improve things.  We have kids, 2 are teens and I can tell you they cause and put most of the stress and issues we have.  Having to raise teens is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  My wife is passive and I'm old school hard and fair.  So the harder I work to make them good people the more she thinks I'm a hard ass and it turns her off.  Go figure?  :shruggy:  Happy to report they are good kids, so far.

resq302

Wow that sounds like me and my wife.  I want to punish them and my wife doesn't want to.  She doesn't believe in spankings.  All I know is that when I did something wrong, I got a couple of good lickins on my butt and I knew never to do that again.  Granted, the 5 yr old is probably testing us right now but if you don't have some kind of discipline, that is where the drugs and hanging out with the wrong crowd starts.  With where I work, I see the worst in people every day.  I just don't want to have my daughters end up being one of those people that are brought into our station.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Back N Black

Quote from: resq302 on March 21, 2012, 07:13:29 AM
Wow that sounds like me and my wife.  I want to punish them and my wife doesn't want to.  She doesn't believe in spankings.  All I know is that when I did something wrong, I got a couple of good lickins on my butt and I knew never to do that again.  Granted, the 5 yr old is probably testing us right now but if you don't have some kind of discipline, that is where the drugs and hanging out with the wrong crowd starts.  With where I work, I see the worst in people every day.  I just don't want to have my daughters end up being one of those people that are brought into our station.

I was spanked as a kid and that's why i don't hit my kids.  :Twocents:

nvrbdn

the problem with the divorce crap is it haunts you later also. they kill you up front and get there settlement, then when you retire they get you again. they can get half your pension and SSI. i guess the only payback on that is that the government will end up screwing up SSI and the pbgc and all will be lost, so they wont get it anyway.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House