News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DOH - series versus movie question

Started by Ghoste, March 18, 2012, 11:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

DOH fans, is there a division between fans of the movie and fans of the series?  I ask because the movie was clearly aimed at a youngier audience with its edgier humor, nudity, Uncle Jesse as a stoner and so forth.  Or do fans of one seem to bleed across into the other?

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on March 18, 2012, 11:56:04 AM
DOH fans, is there a division between fans of the movie and fans of the series?  I ask because the movie was clearly aimed at a youngier audience with its edgier humor, nudity, Uncle Jesse as a stoner and so forth.  Or do fans of one seem to bleed across into the other?

I'm much more a fan of the original series than the new movies. The only reason I watched the movie was for the car.

I had heard that the original cost of the series were offered cameos in the movie and they all turned it down due to not liking how the movie went with regards to the characters. Whereas with Starsky & Hutch, Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul both agreed to their cameos.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

Me personally  I guess they are both about the same.  It is just the car that interests me.

Kern Dog

I went to see the movie because of the car and the DRIVING !! I wasn't disappointed in either. Rhys Millen was the guy that hung that car sideways in ways that the TV guys couldn't. I was on the edge of my seat during each chase scene.
NOW about the rest of the movie......
Typical Dukes plot, which was fine with me. Nobody watches this stuff for CSI tech or Shakespear acting. I enjoyed that part of the movie as well.
The movie took a few departures from the series that I didn't agree with. I didn't like Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg. That man had the personality of a tree. Too stiff, too slow and totally opposite of the Sorrel Booke version. One of the funniest aspects of the series was the "Laurel and Hardy" type of interaction of Boss and Rosco. The movie shifted away from that. Maybe the director purposely shied away from the original to avoid a direct comparison? The casting of Johhny Knoxville and Stifler was okay if you never saw the TV show, but once again, compared to the originals, they were second rate. I did NOT like Willie Nelson then or ever, and YES, the portrayal of him as a weed smoking geriatric spit on the clean image of Uncle Jessie. I liked Daisy though. WOW. Have you seen her lately though? Yeah, she IS pregnant, but what the heck? Is she carrying a RUGBY team in there? She was on Jay Leno's show last week and I was disgusted at her girth.
The movie was okay for what it was. If you REALLY want to see a crappy Dukes movie, check out "DOH The Beginning". The acting actually got worse. At least in THAT movie, they returned the Boss and Rosco roles to a more comedic tone.

Drache

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 18, 2012, 01:00:52 PM
I went to see the movie because of the car and the DRIVING !! I wasn't disappointed in either. Rhys Millen was the guy that hung that car sideways in ways that the TV guys couldn't. I was on the edge of my seat during each chase scene.
NOW about the rest of the movie......
Typical Dukes plot, which was fine with me. Nobody watches this stuff for CSI tech or Shakespear acting. I enjoyed that part of the movie as well.
The movie took a few departures from the series that I didn't agree with. I didn't like Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg. That man had the personality of a tree. Too stiff, too slow and totally opposite of the Sorrel Booke version. One of the funniest aspects of the series was the "Laurel and Hardy" type of interaction of Boss and Rosco. The movie shifted away from that. Maybe the director purposely shied away from the original to avoid a direct comparison? The casting of Johhny Knoxville and Stifler was okay if you never saw the TV show, but once again, compared to the originals, they were second rate. I did NOT like Willie Nelson then or ever, and YES, the portrayal of him as a weed smoking geriatric spit on the clean image of Uncle Jessie. I liked Daisy though. WOW. Have you seen her lately though? Yeah, she IS pregnant, but what the heck? Is she carrying a RUGBY team in there? She was on Jay Leno's show last week and I was disgusted at her girth.
The movie was okay for what it was. If you REALLY want to see a crappy Dukes movie, check out "DOH The Beginning". The acting actually got worse. At least in THAT movie, they returned the Boss and Rosco roles to a more comedic tone.

The new movie just seemed a little TOO goofy in points where it shouldn't. It was like they took the comedy between Hogg and Roscoe and instead put it between Bo and Luke. Then add the nudity, sex, swearing, pot smoking, etc I just wasn't a big fan.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69charger2002

the movie was too forced with comedy and younger age humor, kind of like american pie.. but the car was still the star, i loved the orignal series because of the car, not necessarily because it was famioly oriented(though i'm glad it was or my parents would have never let me watch it!!). i think for obvious reasons, collectibility wise the series memorabilia will always be worth way more than movie stuff.. but at the end of the day, it's still all about the 69 charger!
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Ghoste

Do you think it brought any new blood to the hobby?

kab69440

I thought The Beginning was better than the first  movie. April Scott was a much better Daisy to boot.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Mike DC

QuoteI went to see the movie because of the car and the DRIVING !! I wasn't disappointed in either. Rhys Millen was the guy that hung that car sideways in ways that the TV guys couldn't. I was on the edge of my seat during each chase scene.

Rhys is very good but the circumstances are different.  Rhys gets cars built to his specs, scenes built around showing off specifically what he can do, and lots of practice attempts on everything.  

The TV scripts weren't tailored to the strengths of anyone on the set, the drivers were just cogs in a larger machine.  They might get told to jump into an unfamiliar 4400-lb car with a stock chassis & lap belts, and the chassis might already be bent or broken from something previously done to it.   They might get told to do a maneuver in the midst of 3 other cars in those circumstances, and they would be expected to get it right the first 3 or 4 times in a row that they try it with the cameras already rolling.

69charger2002

maybe a very few. overall i would say no. the original series from 79-85 influenced a TON of young boys who were at a very impressionable age. plus it was a weekly show for 6 years, lots of time for new people to get involved. The new movie(and spinoffs thereafter) were just a gimmick for $$. teenagers viewed it as just another movie, like many of today's movies. i would venture to think fast and the furious has had more of an impression that the new dukes movies did. just my  :Twocents:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

UH60L

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 18, 2012, 02:00:03 PM

maybe a very few. overall i would say no. the original series from 79-85 influenced a TON of young boys who were at a very impressionable age. plus it was a weekly show for 6 years, lots of time for new people to get involved. The new movie(and spinoffs thereafter) were just a gimmick for $$. teenagers viewed it as just another movie, like many of today's movies. i would venture to think fast and the furious has had more of an impression that the new dukes movies did. just my  :Twocents:

I agree.  Unfortunately most of what it brought them into was the "tuner car" aspect, which I dislike.  Not liking what Fast Five did to the '70 charger at the end of the last one, but at least they had a new challenger at the end.......

I just wish the "fast" series had gone all mopar on the '70 chargers used, instead of chevy engines and such.

Ghoste

Worse than them getting into tuner cars I find a lot of young kids thinking the action sequences in F&F are a perfectly realistic way to drive. :o

skip68

I'd say it did influence some new blood to a point but not much.   
These cars are unobtainable for most teens or 20 year olds.  When I was a teen these cars were cheap.   $1,000 to $1,500 got you a nice driving Charger back in the 80's.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

UH60L

Strangely enough, where I live most of them don't actually "get into" tuner cars per se, they just throw a can on their exhaust pipe, bolt a wing on their car, and many of them still can't maintain 55 mph for long perios of time.

I actually had 3 youngsters in a car like that act all tough and say they wanted to race my '69.  I got done filling up at the gas station first, and when I started my car, they all kinda looked away, then when I pulled out and left a cloud of rubber smoke, I could see them staring in disbelief in my mirror.....and that was with the 440 that was in the car when I bought it that had a tick in it the whle 4 years I drove it, and leaked a bit of oil.

Between cars/people like those I just mentioned and the fact that even the ones that really are fast just all look ugly to me, I'm just not impressed by the tuner cars.

I mean, a guy in my car club has an AMC Pacer with a dodge 383 in it, and it's screaming fast..faster than my charger will ever be again...but it's still Pacer....ya know?

skip68

Like I always say, it doesn't matter how fast it is, you've still got to be seen driving it. 
That's all that most people see with these ricer cars anyway.  Some dude on the road or pulling into a gas station/parking lot with a coffee can exhaust and wing.    :rofl:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Brock Lee

I don't think it brought in much new blood, but it was the third, and likely last, renaissance of the Dukes of Hazzard. The first one occurred when the show was brought back to TNN, second with the first reunion movie.  That was too soon for some as many original fans were still in college or getting their lives on track. The movie came at a much better time now that many of these people had families and free time to spend on a hobby. It is no coincidence the largest attendance Dukesfest happened after the movie. The majority of those that got back into it moved on by 2008.

knitz01

i like both... i like boobies too!!!! lol :drool5:

jb666

I personally thought most of the 2005 movie was a joke... I liked a few of the driving scenes (the rotary chase being my favorite)... "What's the purpose of this thing anyways!".

I'm not a Johnny Knoxville fan... Nor was I a fan of that ditzy moron Jessica Simpson playing Daisy... Or Uncle Jesse being a bonehead... Roscoe being a hardass.. Boss Hogg being thin.... And the list goes on..

To me, that movie did the series no justice, and we all know the acting in the series was atrocious.  :lol:

Mike DC

The 2005 movie could have re-launched the franchise but they handled it wrong.  They marketed it to the PG-13 audience instead of the PG one, which any idiot that did 5 minutes of market research on DOH would have told them was a mistake.  The fact that the movie wasn't very good sealed it.

The merchandise companies have decided to revert to putting the original TV show cast on the packaging of DOH toys, a full 30 years after the show's prime.  That pretty much says it all. 

-------------------------------------

I think F&F has done as much for the old car hobby as anything from Hollywood since the 1980s.  The kids do nothing but throw fart cans on their car and can barely drive, just like most kids did nothing but throw glasspacks on their 318 Coronets and barely drive after watching DOH or "Bandit" back in the day.  

Fact is, F&F is no cheesier than any of the car franchises of the past.  And the more recent movies with the original cast have been darn good pieces of work.  You can't combine that kind of ten-tenths action + 100% great drama + 100% realism all at once.  Some compromises have to be made.  IMHO the director Justin Lin has been doing some very good jobs on those flicks lately.  

The drag race between the '32 and the '55 in "American Graffiti", the '55 vs the GTO in "Two Lane Blacktop . . . IMHO the Supra vs the Charger at the end of F&F#1 is the next big pairing in that iconic line of new vs old.  

Cooter

As with ANY remake of a classic TV Series into a movie, it sucked.

The original had FAMILY values. Today's "kids" this thing was aimed at only showed the entire world just how far our values have slipped when Uncle Jessie who stood for good, decent, wholesome, and most of all, raising the boys the right way, got sh*t on for a stoner.

Gimme all the cheezy story lines of the original series. Just like the new Charger, there's a reason the new one has 4 doors.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

General_01

I watched it for the driving scenes, but I did not like the "reinterpretation" of most of the characters. I understand not wanting to do a carbon copy of the series to avoid direct comparisons, but totally changing a characters core personality and values was just ludicrous. In my opinion, they could have made the same movie with the two main characters driving a blue '69 charger and named Tim and Joe and every other character renamed and I probably would have liked it better. I think the biggest reason I dislike the movie is because the were basically pissing on the serie's grave while using the name to bring in more $. Kinda like the execs at Dodge with the new Charger.

Same reason I don't like the "Starsky and Hutch" movie.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

c00nhunterjoe

I enjoyed the series for what it was and enjoyed the movie for what it was.

You can't expect to make a tv series directly into a movie and have it work. I think the movie did a good job paying homage to the series yet went in its own direction to be different.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Cooter on March 18, 2012, 08:23:17 PM

The original had FAMILY values. Today's "kids" this thing was aimed at only showed the entire world just hopw far our values have slipped when Uncle Jessie who stood for good, decent, wholesome, and most of all, raising the boys the right way, got sh*t on for a stoner.

Gimme all the cheezy story lines of the original series. Just like the new Charger, there's a reason the new one has 4 doors.

:iagree: :soapbox: :iagree: :soapbox: :iagree: :soapbox: :iagree:

Indygenerallee

I was a original DOH show fan when I was a kid but the movie was just a slap in the face if you ask me, They made Cooter look like a complete assbackwards dumb hilljack, Only thing that made the movie watchable was the General Lee.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Gregory

Original TV show. The only thing Dukes about the movie was the car and Daisy's shorts. Every thing else was Hogg wash (Sorry, some one had to). The movie would be alright if you never saw the show, but for me I just couldn't get there.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 18, 2012, 01:00:52 PMOne of the funniest aspects of the series was the "Laurel and Hardy" type of interaction of Boss and Rosco.
I liked the 'new' roscoe at the start of the movie as a darker, more serious character. unfortunately, he kinda lost that and defaulted back to the dimwit after the middle of the movie.
As to the OP, i've never noticed any difference between the fans. they're all redneck.  :pity:

Fred

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 18, 2012, 09:45:09 PM
I was a original DOH show fan when I was a kid but the movie was just a slap in the face if you ask me, They made Cooter look like a complete assbackwards dumb hilljack, Only thing that made the movie watchable was the General Lee.

x2

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

GL#10

I didn't go to see the 2005 movie and expect to see the tv series ,  W.B worked out aiming it at a younger audience rather than the original audience was going to make the money at the box office , 2005 movie was fun and different , stunts where great  ,and it made the whole Dukes Of Hazzard Hobby as big as it will ever be  !.

The 2007 movie was more like the Tv series  , they put a sheriff car in a pond , farm and back road's no big city's it was enjoyable  to watch .

Either way you want to look at it , it brought the charger back into the limelight the world over .

If you look at any tv show remake to big screen movie , none of the ones done so far have been true to the  original tv shows and they have all been unsuccessful .

BrianShaughnessy

I thought the movie was enjoyable, so it wasn't quite true to the tv show - but did it really matter anyway?  NO.   It's just a TV show and a movie....  Neither were loved by critics.  I watched the show in my youth and I went to the theater to see the movie and I bought a dvd.   :Twocents:

I do believe the DOH movie helped bring some new blood into the Charger camp and probably helped a few flippers make some $$$$.

Some of the tv show / movie remakes really ...  suck.    DOH not so much.   And it was NOT unsuccessful.   It made $ ... which was the whole point of making it.  It didn't make Titanic / Avatar $,  but it did better than a lot of award winning snoozefest movies.

QuoteBox office

The film was #1 at the box office its opening weekend and grossed $30.7 million on 3,785 screens. It also had an adjusted-dollar rank of #14 all-time for August releases.[4]

The film eventually collected $110.5 million worldwide, although it was much less successful financially outside the U.S.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bill440rt

I enjoyed the movie for what it was: a parody.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

SRT-440

You know...I'm ok with the "The American Pie of Hazzard"..it is what it is...but...I guess in 10 yrs or so somebody will remake the original Fast and Furious and the ricer movement will start all over again.  :smilielol:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Ghoste

So from this it is fairly easy to say there is a sharp division?  There may or may not be some new fans to the hobby because of the movie but even though Charger lovers got into the hobby because of the car, old time DOH fans still pretty much all pan the movie?

Brock Lee

There is a sharp division within the Dukes hobby even with just the TV show fans. There are many different types, but you can boil them down to 2 camps. One camp liked the show for what it was, and enjoyed seeing the car and Daisy. Today, which has aged better? So you stick with the car. The other camp tends to be very conservative. They wish the real world was as simple, clean cut and ultimately predictable as the Dukes fantasy. So they hang out with like minded people and raise their families based on the values "taught" by Uncle Jesse. Sounds nutty? Go read any Dukes forum and you will see what I mean in short time.  

Ghoste

Interesting, I never even really thought about that.  I was just analyzing it from a car guy perspective.

I'll bet the old values fans REALLLLLLLLY hate the movie huh? :lol:

Brock Lee

Mike DC

IMHO it's impossible to make a single perfect DOH movie.  
The show appeals to too broad an audience for too many different reasons.

Some people like Mopars and muscelcars.

Others like Hollywood stunt/action shows from the 1980s.

Some like the G-rated fantasy we saw in the Cali episodes.

Some like the PG-13ish fantasy in the Georgia episodes.  Some even wish it would have gone even farther in that direction, like "Moonrunners".

Some like the PG-13 tone but they are laughing at the characters more than with them, like the 2005 movie.

c00nhunterjoe

I enjoyed all aspects of the series AND the movie. I am an avid fan of both. Whether its the stuntman driving the cars in the series, to daisy duke's sex appeal, or uncle jesse's values..... I thoroughly enjoyed both and continue to do so.

elanmars

maybe it's 'cause I'm younger but jessie being a pothead doesn't make him less in my eyes or some sort of delinquent (yes I'm aware of the laws but i find them utterly stupid and I don't even care for pot!). I see people doing worse with alcohol every day.

as for the movie, it was dumb and a waste of Chargers IMO. I don't know what really can be expected out of a DOH movie anyway, I liked the show as a kid but even then I knew it was really stupid...trying to re-watch it as an adult, damn...I could really only stomach the driving scenes and seeing the cars in the background.

that stupid show has blown up the prices for 68-70 Chargers and it's annoying when I'm currently Charger-less and I see so many painted orange with the 01 and rebel flag on top, over priced as all hell...
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Kern Dog

Putting labels on people regarding THIS movie??? Really?
If you look at the movie as something akin to a "cousin" of the TV show, it is easier for me to enjoy. It did have SOME of the family spirit that the series had. Hard to live up to the TV show though. I didn't see the family theme when i was a kid. Heck, i didn't give a crap about daisy then either. The CAR was the star. When TNN started the next run, sometime in '95 or '96, I looked at the show differently. I saw the show from an adult perspective. The family theme became clear then.

Mike DC

IMHO the price of 2nd-gen Chargers isn't dramatically affected by GL replicas.  It drives up the demand for low-option 318 '69 project cars but not for the whole 2nd-gen group.  A nicely restored 1970 R/T isn't gonna be affected at all.

Yes there are always a lot of GLs for sale.  But IMHO that works to overstate their presence in the hobby.  Its just something a lot of shady flippers are doing to try to sell raggedy cars.  If those cars weren't overpriced raggedy GLs then they would just be overpriced & raggedy in other colors. 

The prices of '68 and '69 Chargers in the big picture isn't out of line with other Mopars, relative to their desirability and production numbers.  Yes they cost more than Coronets or Satellites, because most people prefer the looks of the Chargers and their production numbers are lower than Coronets & Satellites.   

Neal_J

The series was good fun, like a live action cartoon.  The 2005 movie was nothing short of awful.  Haven't seen the 2007 movie.

Bobs69

Quote from: Drache on March 18, 2012, 12:02:29 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on March 18, 2012, 11:56:04 AM

I'm much more a fan of the original series than the new movies. The only reason I watched the movie was for the car.

I had heard that the original cost of the series were offered cameos in the movie and they all turned it down due to not liking how the movie went with regards to the characters. Whereas with Starsky & Hutch, Paul Michael Glaser and David Soul both agreed to their cameos.
That sounds familiar.  I heard that about Ben Jones.   Shows integrity doesn't it.

GL#10

I have noticed over the past few years on the DOH forums people's attitude/opinions  had changed over the 2005 movie , the ones that liked it , now pan it , to each his own , i grew up on the series , like the movie's , have an original tv series stunt GL and two Movie stunt General lee's , best of both world's , i really doubt you will see the Dukes as big as it was, with the hype etc as it was on the lead up to the movie's release in 2005  !.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfy8jwBEIA

As for the DOH driving up prices of charger's in General , ha  really don't see it .

K.c

SRT-440

I was just watching the DOH episode "Bad Day in Hazzard"...and I could be wrong, but I think one of the bad guys is the dude that plays Roscoe in the 2005 movie...he's younger and much skinnier but I think its him.  :scratchchin:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

GL#10

"I was just watching the DOH episode "Bad Day in Hazzard"...and I could be wrong, but I think one of the bad guys is the dude that plays Roscoe in the 2005 movie...he's younger and much skinnier but I think its him."

Yes you are correct  M.C Gainey  was in that episode and the 2005 movie ,  the actual plot for the 2005 movie was also from a episode of the t.v.series , Farewell, Hazzard (11 Mar. 1983)

K.c

Sabre

Quote from: Cooter on March 18, 2012, 08:23:17 PM

The original had FAMILY values. Today's "kids" this thing was aimed at only showed the entire world just how far our values have slipped when Uncle Jessie who stood for good, decent, wholesome, and most of all, raising the boys the right way, got sh*t on for a stoner.

+1

myk

Quote from: skip68 on March 18, 2012, 03:49:17 PM
I'd say it did influence some new blood to a point but not much.  
These cars are unobtainable for most teens or 20 year olds.  When I was a teen these cars were cheap.   $1,000 to $1,500 got you a nice driving Charger back in the 80's.

And the 90's also.  I picked mine up for $2000 right out of high school in '94.  Back then, no one gave a lick about these cars.

As for family values?  I personally never looked at the show as being a strong example of family values, or values of any kind, because even as a snot-nosed kid watching the t.v. series I knew that the Duke family were criminals and it never sat right with my Catholic upbringing.  Ultimately the cars were the focal point of the show for me...

Cooter

General Lees have nothing to do with the price of Chargers...They have EVERYTHING to do with the popularity in the eyes of the "Charger ignorant", because it allows them to know what kind of car it realy was. I stuck mine up on Lebay RIGHT after the "travesty" movie and got both my feelings hurt..Car didn't break $10K back in '05...You can't buy one now in rusty, but runable condition for that.

Besides, a Charger will always be worth more than a Cornoet/Satellite as there were NO Four drs, Converts, Wagons, etc. Charger sheetmetal is all by itself and rightfully so..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

Quote from: myk on March 19, 2012, 10:56:24 PM

As for family values?  I personally never looked at the show as being a strong example of family values, or values of any kind, because even as a snot-nosed kid watching the t.v. series I knew that the Duke family were criminals and it never sat right with my Catholic upbringing. 

Yes, they indeed were criminals.

However, there is a group that will say: "But the Duke boys were only on probation for hauling shine. Moonshine was a family tradition way before there was a USofA government to tell them they couldn't. If Uncle Jessie says it was okay, then it is gospel. Even if some writer was snorting lines of coke off a hookers ass while writing that dialog."

Kern Dog

Thats a terrible way to act, Brock. The tradition of moonshine DOES go back before any laws regarding it.
Dukes as criminals? What crimes were commited? Rape, Robbery? Murder? Hate crimes?  MYk, take a clue since you obviously had blinders on ....The show emphasized taking care of your family and showing respect to your elders. The Dukes considered strangers to be "People that they hadn't met yet."  They fought INjustice when they saw it.

myk

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 20, 2012, 12:10:55 AM
Thats a terrible way to act, Brock. The tradition of moonshine DOES go back before any laws regarding it.
Dukes as criminals? What crimes were commited? Rape, Robbery? Murder? Hate crimes?  MYk, take a clue since you obviously had blinders on ....The show emphasized taking care of your family and showing respect to your elders. The Dukes considered strangers to be "People that they hadn't met yet."  They fought INjustice when they saw it.

Take a clue?  Blinders?  You wanna talk about showing respect you should watch your own mouth.  Keep in mind that I was 8 years old when I watched this program, but I didn't miss a thing.  I still saw and understood the reckless attitude that they had for law and order, and the fact that they were always running from the police, the law.  However, do you think that just because someone treats their loved ones and elders "right" that exempts them from the law or having to be punished from crimes they commit?  I guess this means you're OK with all of those hispanic gangs in Los Angeles that kill,  rob and rape all day long but are always sure to take care of La Familia?  After all to them family is everything, so see those thugs ain't so bad!

Breaking the law is an absolute, you either follow the law or you don't; I don't care if you're a jaywalker, drug/moonshine runner (that's right!  The Dukes transported illegal substances/contraband!) or a mass murderer.  Once you've broken the law you should be punished for it, not heralded as a hero because you "treat your loved ones and elders right."  After all, I'm sure Osama Bin Laden was the man when it came to his 30 wives and probably his parents but does that mean that we should forget that fact that he's a terrorist?  

Also, just because they were committing crimes before there were laws for their crimes that their criminal activities should be forgiven, ignored?  Men were raping women, stealing things and killing one another long before there was the US of A or any other governing institute or societal body, so should we just forget those crimes too, I mean as long as these people "treat their loved ones and elders right?"

Furthermore, the Dukes fought INjustice outside of the law on their own terms which is just another example of their lawlessness, taking matters into their own hands.  Vigilantism is nothing to be proud of, and I don't care how they treated their old man.

Good Lord I can't believe I'm discussing the philosophy of the "Dukes of Hazzard..."   :eek2:

Mike DC

DOH just reflected the values of much of America, especially at that time and place.  Some are a bit contradictory IMHO.  

America = good
Christianity = vital

Alcohol = good
other drugs = bad

loose sex = bad
implied loose sexual habits = good for men, bad for women

Obeying the law = admirable
breaking the law = good if it doesn't hurt anyone, bad if it does

Ghoste

Fighting the system like two modern day Robin Hoods?

GL#10

I just loved the episode where they had to jump the creek to escape Boss and Rosco .

K.c

Brock Lee

My favourite episode was the one where the bad guys came into town acting like they was on Boss Hogg's side, but then double crossed 'ol Boss. The boys (and General) had to come and save the day. Remember the big stunt the boys pulled off to catch those guys? Then Rosco writes them tickets for all the laws they broke while helping Boss!

Kern Dog

Myk, you  display the ramblings of an idiot. Comparing Osama to the Dukes?
You didn't directly address my points, and It is obvious. They drove the car fast... so WHAT! they refused to abide by UNfair, crooked laws. Are YOU such a pansy that you would tolerate crooked police and unfair laws? GREAT! That shows what a lack of character you have. You obviously missed the undertones of the show. Part of the spirit of the south is INDEPENDENCE. Maybe you heard about the Civil War?

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JT01

My 2 sons love watching the Dukes on DVD. To bad there isnt any shows on today like there was back in the 80s with special cars in them.

Bobs69

Uh oh.

I remember reading the about these guys in the paper.  "Men of Honour" the called them.  Basically, who do you want?  The lesser of two evils.

http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-mafia-of-montreal-a-short

kab69440

Myk... You missed the most important part of nearly every episode..

Basically, every crime they supposedly committed was a setup to get their probation revoked or to grab the family land.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Back N Black

Wow! a lot of hype for a low budget TV show with terrible actors and a weak story line. It was fun to watch when i was 12, watch the big orange car kick up dirt and jump the creek.  :Twocents:

Dino

Quote from: kab69440 on March 20, 2012, 07:31:48 PM
Myk... You missed the most important part of nearly every episode..

Basically, every crime they supposedly committed was a setup to get their probation revoked or to grab the family land.

I think he was talking about the Dukes breaking the law by carrying moonshine and driving like idiots 24/7 (although that was the best part of the show).  Not the fact that they were setup every other episode by Boss.

In a way yes they were criminals.  Reckless driving and endangering others on the road such as pedestrians in town and shooting tnt loaded arrows is probably not all that legal.   

Anyway, the series was campy, had lousy acting (although I always liked Sorrell Booke) and if it wasn't for the car, I seriously doubt they had made it passed the pilot episode.  The writing was good though, just too bad they used the same script for just about every episode.   :nana:
The movie was plain bad, top to bottom, left to right.  The only good parts are the driving parts but seeing the blacked out grille and spray bombed interior gave me this funny feeling they found the movie cars at hlpag!

I guess it all depends on where you grew up and what you believe are family values.  Some people may take offense to that civil war comment.  I sure hope that's not the pride of the south's independance.  They can be proud for many things but the war and why it happened should not be one of them.

I used to love the General Lee.  I thought the orange and red and blue matched up great.  But it's just a look and I don't think the flag would go over well in these parts.  :icon_smile_big:   Now before anyone gets all bent out of shape, yes you can have a General clone and not feel guilty because you have a copy of Americana pop culture and it jusst wouldn't be the same without the flag.  Anyone can see that.  It's just not something I would want.

Funny how a dumb little show can bring up such strong opinions and emotions...and nobody even shot JR in this one!   :smilielol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Drache

Quote from: myk on March 20, 2012, 12:35:53 AM
Take a clue?  Blinders?  You wanna talk about showing respect you should watch your own mouth.  Keep in mind that I was 8 years old when I watched this program, but I didn't miss a thing.  I still saw and understood the reckless attitude that they had for law and order, and the fact that they were always running from the police, the law.

Even when that so called law was crooked?

They fought the corrupted law in Hazzard to save the community.

Breaking the law is an absolute, you either follow the law or you don't

So you follow the law 100%? You've never jaywalked, went over the speed limit, did a rolling stop, etc?

The Dukes transported illegal substances/contraband!

Now Ive never seen every single Dukes episode, all I remember was they USED to run shine and were making up for their "evil" ways.

Quote from: myk on March 20, 2012, 12:35:53 AMFurthermore, the Dukes fought INjustice outside of the law on their own terms which is just another example of their lawlessness, taking matters into their own hands.  Vigilantism is nothing to be proud of, and I don't care how they treated their old man.

So the Dukes should have let Boss Hogg do all the things he did? Hell almost every other show he tried to destroy the town in some way. So you're telling me that if someone came to destroy your town and you were it's only hope you wouldn't do anything simply because that would be considered vigilantism?

As for Vigilantism, my views are slightly different. I studied more than a few cases of pedophiles and sex offenders getting no sentences or thus very light sentences because of our legal system. I can in fact say that I know family members who used Vigilantism and were SUPPORTED by the RCMP in doing so to run a pedophile out of a small community because legally the law couldn't do anything about it.  But I'll stop the debate on Vigilantism here since I don't want this thread to go off the tracks :D

Oh and I guess I don't have to mention that countries like the United States wouldn't exist without people figthting INJUSTICE outside of the law. I believe they called that a Revolution  :nana:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Kern Dog

I am against terrorism and injustice
Myk has refused to speak on the matter.
I stand for equality and freedom
Myk hasn't given his position on those issues.
I propose lower taxes and less government
Myk has yet to commit to either issue.
Myk wants to have it HIS way.
I'm NOT like Myk
I am Red 70 and i APPROVE of this message. :nana:

kab69440

Breaking the law is absolute?

Quick, who is this quote from?

"There can be no justice where the law is absolute."

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Sabre

I've seen many post they think the acting on the show sucked.  Am I the only one who thinks the acting wasn't bad?  Okay the Coy and Vance characters couldn't act, but I thought everyone else played the part fine.

Kern Dog

I think that the acting was just fine. Yeah, the dark haired "vance" guy needed some lessons, but the rest of the cast was top notch. Armchair critics mistake "acting" for "writing". The actors did a decent job with what they had. The scripts were pretty basic and had a similar, repetitive theme each week. This show was part slapstick comedy, and that type of comedy isn't for everyone.

Brock Lee

I loved how most of the primary actors couldn't hold a decent southern accent together. Uncle Jesse sounded like he was taking coaching from Yosemite Sam, Boss Hogg from Ester on Sanford and Son.

The slapstick comedy was a later element for sure, and only occasional. The show was supposed to be an action adventure. But ended up being a parody of the south with some physical comedy mixed in.

Mike DC

Ewan MacGregor and Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen all have some decent acting chops.  But you wouldn't know it from watching the Star Wars prequels.  

Same problem with DOH.  The cast were decent actors IMHO.  The problem was the dialogue writing and the directing/editing of the actors' footage.  The producers just didn't give the acting any priority whatsoever.  The actors began to rewrite their lines and ad-lib stuff on their own as the show went on.  You can tell the difference.  

When Vance & Coy showed up, they were trying to keep their jobs and they just read exactly what was written to them.  They knew they would have been replaced if they caused any complications on the set.  (Then we found out just how bad the writing really was!)

c00nhunterjoe

I still say that the movie was a good movie. No, it was not an accurate reproduction of the series, but it was a good movie with decent acting, great stunts, awesome driving and good comedy.

The 2007 movie was pretty rough but I still bought it to watch the car

GL#10

"
I still say that the movie was a good movie. No, it was not an accurate reproduction of the series, but it was a good movie with decent acting, great stunts, awesome driving and good comedy.

The 2007 movie was pretty rough but I still bought it to watch the car"

Agree !  :2thumbs: