News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is a 318 worth it?

Started by Dodgerdallas, March 20, 2012, 06:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

I got a decent running 318 in my 66,this is my first Chrysler,ive been a Chevy guy and wanted to try something different,is a 318 worth trying to get some horses or do I just need to find a 383 or 440 somewhere?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Ghoste

The 318 is a fine engine and there are many people who have had great results with them, but it costs the same for parts and machining in a big block.  Yes you have to obtain said big block but the performance upgrade is worth it.  Well worth it.

Dodgerdallas

Is there a big issue with switching motor mounting,I know ill have to change the bell housing but any welding involved in those mounts??

Ghoste

Nope.  There are different brackets that go between the engine and the mounting ears there but one of the Mopar pleasures are the ease of engine swaps.

Scaregrabber

360 is a mega easy replacement for a 318, you can buy a stroker kit for cheap to get 408 inches out of them. If you replace with a big block you should buy new engine mounts, big block transmission, different kickdown linkage, radiator, pulleys, brackets etc. It's an easy swap but it's best if you have a donor car, even a C-body will do.

Sheldon

Dodgerdallas

Indygenerallee

Mount twin turbos on one!! a 318 is damn near bulletproof!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

greenpigs

Quote from: Dodgerdallas on March 20, 2012, 06:37:41 PM
I got a decent running 318 in my 66,this is my first Chrysler,ive been a Chevy guy and wanted to try something different,is a 318 worth trying to get some horses or do I just need to find a 383 or 440 somewhere?

Is it a poly 318?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Cooter

Being a 1966, I'm betting this thing is what's commonly referred to as a "Big Block 318" (Poly 318).
Sure they can make power, but even at 402 C.I., you are only looking at around 400 HP out of a Poly.
The "LA" series can and usually does make more power, but just like what you are used to, why mess with a mouse, when you can have the RAT...Just grab a 440 and be done with it, aas it'll make over 400 HP in basically stock configuration...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dodgerdallas

That's what I'm thinking,I know of an old Imperial for sale with a 440-belongs to an old lady that bought it new in the early 70's. I'm hoping it's been babied and in decent shape.

Ghoste

There you go then, jump on that sucker and never look back.

Dodgerdallas

Oh yeah, I'm looking at it this weekend,there's another Imperial in a salvage yard near Dallas with a 440 but condition unknown...

Dodgerdallas

Don't know if it's a poly-the numbers on the right side upper block don't match anything in my old chilton,I'm at work now but I'll get the numbers when I'm home and post em and see what u guys can tell me...

Ghoste

Do your valve covers look like this (with the indents on the side)?  Also note the spacing on the intake runners with them all separated.  The LA engine has them siamesed.  Also on the LA the two center exhaust ports will be siamesed.

Ghoste

Or more like this one?  This pic is a 318LA and the one above is the Polysphere.

Dodgerdallas

It looks more like the polyshere (the top one) but it has the bolts at each end of the valve covers