News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Laugh if you will, but...

Started by dkn1997, January 26, 2006, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

Can you ad that pearl paint stuff to the rustoleum?  If you painted the car black and added some lighter color pearl tint (don't know that much about it), like a light purple or blue, would that work?  How much would you ad to the gallon of rustoleum paint?  Would it stay stirred? 
Thanks,  Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on January 29, 2006, 07:06:10 PM
  Can you ad that pearl paint stuff to the rustoleum?  If you painted the car black and added some lighter color pearl tint (don't know that much about it), like a light purple or blue, would that work?  How much would you ad to the gallon of rustoleum paint?  Would it stay stirred? 
Thanks,  Nate

no idea, i would imagine not.

'CUDA360

I just got back from home depot and I have questions.

Which one should I get ?  Some of the rust-o-liem is oil based to reduce with acetone.  Is that the one we are talking about ??

Why do you recommend the small diameter roller ?

Thanks!

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 360cuda on January 29, 2006, 07:11:37 PM
I just got back from home depot and I have questions.

Which one should I get ?  Some of the rust-o-liem is oil based to reduce with acetone.  Is that the one we are talking about ??

Why do you recommend the small diameter roller ?

Thanks!

i can't comment on the rust-o-liem because i used tremclad which is the canadian version, obviously cause i'm in canada. tremclad is a enamel paint, as far as reducing, u can use anything u want, i just found mineral spirits work amazing.
as for the roller, you MUST use the small diameter HIGH DENSITY foam roller, trust me, i'm not a rocket scientist so i can't tell u why just trust me!!! :icon_smile_big:

69chargeryeehaa

i would assume it's oil based, for rust paint i can't see it being water based.  the fumes i was refering to are about 1/4 of the fumes when u spray acrylic enamel, it still smells but not nearly as bad.  at least the wife did'nt complain that the whole house stinks inside like paint!!!

dkn1997

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 29, 2006, 08:16:06 PM
at least the wife did'nt complain that the whole house stinks inside like paint!!!

that fact alone will sway thousands to try to roller paint there cars before buying a cheap air gun!!!  nothing like fuming out the whole  fam damily when painting valve covers with rattle can paint!!!
RECHRGED

kamkuda

Looks like a great option.  I will try it on my Volkswagon road racer.
Good descriptions too.  I would love to see the car in person sometime too.

Looks like a great option for the my street strip project car.

The Ghoul

I just ran across the HPLAG thread .... now I know why thems fighting words  :o

694spdRT

In the spirit of keeping this a possibility for some.

I checked the local Farm and Fleet and Valspar makes a oil based enamel and there is even a hardener available for it. Cost was $19.99 for a gallon of paint and $9.99 for the hardener. The hardener is added for increased shine, drying time, and hardness. Pot life is 8 hours with the hardener.

Will anyone tell if I spray the Challenger with it? :scratchchin:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 07, 2006, 06:49:31 PM
In the spirit of keeping this a possibility for some.

I checked the local Farm and Fleet and Valspar makes a oil based enamel and there is even a hardener available for it. Cost was $19.99 for a gallon of paint and $9.99 for the hardener. The hardener is added for increased shine, drying time, and hardness. Pot life is 8 hours with the hardener.

Will anyone tell if I spray the Challenger with it? :scratchchin:

i honestly think no, do it, paint is paint, it's how good the worksmanship is, the time you put into it and how good a job you do.  do you know anyone that can walk up to a car, feel it, smell it, touch it and say "mmmmmm, wait a minute, this is Valspar paint, wait [sniff, sniff] oil based.......yes......enamel." :icon_smile_big: ;)

694spdRT

I actually meant will anyone "tell on me" if I do it.  ;D

We have painted numerous tractors with $20 paint and it is holding up well considering the use. I guarantee the Challenger will not be left in the machine shed for bird's to target practice on either.  ;)

The main thing that appeals to me is that I want the Challenger to be a car I can use on a daily basis and not lose sleep over...just like you posted. I have sprayed several cars through the years with Deltron and it didn't really seem any better than the "cheap" enamel. It just never occured to me to take it to the next level with wetsanding and buffing for some reason.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 694spdRT on February 07, 2006, 08:08:45 PM
I actually meant will anyone "tell on me" if I do it.  ;D

We have painted numerous tractors with $20 paint and it is holding up well considering the use. I guarantee the Challenger will not be left in the machine shed for bird's to target practice on either.  ;)

The main thing that appeals to me is that I want the Challenger to be a car I can use on a daily basis and not lose sleep over...just like you posted. I have sprayed several cars through the years with Deltron and it didn't really seem any better than the "cheap" enamel. It just never occured to me to take it to the next level with wetsanding and buffing for some reason.

your secret is safe with me.  i'llll nnnnever tellllllll :icon_smile_big:
wetsanding and buffing can just about make anything all nice and shiny, provided there is enough paint there.  so i would say go for it, i think paint is paint.  it's just labeled "auto paint" and the price is inflated 200%.  if you buff/polish and wax, any paint could be made to look good and last.

toqwik

I painted my hot rod (28 roadster) with the valspar from tractor supply with hardener.  Came out real good for a back yard paint job.  Would have even be better if the neighbor didn't start cutting his grass before I was done.   I was really painting it in the back yard !!!

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

twilt

I looked at the gallons of Rustoleum while i was at Home Depot last night. Color selection was fairly limited. Yellow, Red, and a light blue were the only ones that even remotely interested me. was hoping to find Orange.  Am thinking of doing one in the light blue color. The Rustoleum paint i looked at was oil based.

69charger2002

i would be afraid to do red.. i bet yellow could come out nice
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

SeattleCharger

Quote from: twilt on February 09, 2006, 12:36:18 AM
I looked at the gallons of Rustoleum while i was at Home Depot last night. Color selection was fairly limited. Yellow, Red, and a light blue were the only ones that even remotely interested me. was hoping to find Orange.  Am thinking of doing one in the light blue color. The Rustoleum paint i looked at was oil based.

There is a very good possibility you may be able to have Home Depot tint the paint like any other paint or stain they sell, you couldn't get any color if you have to start out with yellow or red or light blue, but you could get any variation that has those colors in it, such as yellow could be made into orange by adding a little red tint, etc., the light blue could be made into any medium or darker blue or any medium or darker purple, etc. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on February 09, 2006, 03:59:06 AM
Quote from: twilt on February 09, 2006, 12:36:18 AM

There is a very good possibility you may be able to have Home Depot tint the paint like any other paint or stain they sell, you couldn't get any color if you have to start out with yellow or red or light blue, but you could get any variation that has those colors in it, such as yellow could be made into orange by adding a little red tint, etc., the light blue could be made into any medium or darker blue or any medium or darker purple, etc. 

they actually have a tint base, and you can get any color you want  ;D