News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Laugh if you will, but...

Started by dkn1997, January 26, 2006, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

Hell, I just may paint my Barracuda this way.  Sure would beat the faded paintjob she's got on now.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: wetfeetmi on January 27, 2006, 06:21:35 PM
69chargeryeehaa, could you be more specific on "Tremclad"? Who makes it and where did you get it? Some of our truck cabs at work might be good candidates.
Toward the bottom of page 1 in the Moparts thread (page 1 of our thread), he states that Tremclad is Canada's version of Rustoleum paints sold in the US. On page 2, he's got a link to a bunch of pics of his painted cars & the stuff he used to do it;  SEEN HERE

Here's a Rustoleum link; http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1&dds=16

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Ghost on January 27, 2006, 06:34:05 PM
Hell, I just may paint my Barracuda this way.  Sure would beat the faded paintjob she's got on now.

That link has a lot of colors, plus the guy said that buying it in a gallon at the store they can tint any color you want, he just doesn't think metalic would be possible.   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: bull on January 27, 2006, 03:44:22 AM
After getting an estimate for $19,400 to paint my '68 I'd say $50 sounds pretty good.
Hey Bull,what condition is your car in? that sounds a little steep  :image_294343:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

TheGhost

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on January 27, 2006, 07:28:34 PM
Quote from: Ghost on January 27, 2006, 06:34:05 PM

That link has a lot of colors, plus the guy said that buying it in a gallon at the store they can tint any color you want, he just doesn't think metalic would be possible.   

Well then, I'll go with flat black if I do it.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

dodgecharger-fan

I think that is pretty cool. You really can't complain about the look of it - it's pretty darn nice.
I like the the fact that you can easily change it later on if you so desire. It is just paint and besides your own labour, it's a small gamble.

Hey, can I come see it some day?  :icon_smile_big:

My office is in Brampton. So, I'm up that way often enough.

The Ghoul

the paint being nice and thick was a complament. it seems like youd spend alot less time getting the paint on the car because you only have to do one coat.

I just cant see spending all that time buffing it out to get it looking good. much less the hassel of redoing it if you burn thru. the theory is sound heck, they can get rocks to look glass smooth by polishing them enough.

all im realy trying to say is you would have a much better staring point if you were to spry the paint to begin with. but if you dont have a compressor, or a place to do it (big back yard, or garage you could line with bisqueen) this would be a great option.

jaak

Quote from: volk68 on January 27, 2006, 02:32:31 PM
Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 27, 2006, 01:03:31 PM
Quote from: jaak on January 26, 2006, 11:25:22 PM
Canadian HLPAG ???????

It's comments like that form poeple like you that make me hate this board, if you could READ, then u would see what i'm saying, get a life.....if you have nothing constructive to say then go away, i'm not making u do it so go somewhere else and deposit your verbal diearea there.............for all the others that i hope i help out with some of my knowledge and what i've done i hope this helps you out. sorry about that rant; it's that time of the month........ :flame:

Chill out its just a joke, by looking at the pics it looks nice for 50 bucks, but you don't have to get your drawers all in a wad, jeeez.

dkn1997

jaak, I don't want to speak for the guy, but I observed that here and over at moparts, there were some rude responses to this.  Seems like lots of people like to forget that he originally said that this works well if you DON'T HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO SPRAY, OR WANT TO DEAL WITH THE FUMES/BUILDING A PAINT BOOTH.  in a nutshell, there are SOME SITUATIONS where it will do a fine job and fit your needs.

some chose not read that part and just bash the idea, comparing it to a sprayed paint job.  This guy put a lot of time into getting the info out to those who wanted the info.  He did not deserve to have some respond the way they did.  Now, IF he had come on here and said that for 50 bucks, you could have national show/trailer queen/1 of 1 hemicuda quality paint, then people would have been right to criticize.  BUT he did not do that. 

It burns my ass to see someone who is just trying to help out the others and gets dumped on. 

That might be why he did not appreciate your "hlpag" comment. 
RECHRGED

jaak

Yeah I was just trying to make a joke, I admit it was out of line, but I wasn't trying to dump on the guy personally, just wanted to get a couple of laughs, heck I was hoping he saw the humor in it.  I read his article an YES he did do a great job for 50 bucks and yes that is some creative thinking..... heck by the pics it looks better than some sprayed cars I seen (I would make a joke about a national chain of quickie paint shops around) but my ass has been chewed enough already. I Think it is a good technic and yes I would do try this on a driver myself, I stress again, it was nothing personal....

69chargeryeehaw, I apologize for offending you.

Jason

dkn1997

69chargeryeeha, I will add that the "yeeha" part of your username does make some people think of "hlpag"   it's not any reflection on you personally.  As you may or may not know, hlpag does use "yeeha" as part of there sales pitch.  Now if you say that the roller paint job is an "easy father and son project" then we will start worrying..... :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

you know, the hlpag scurves do troll here.  I can see them "rollering" some of their junk and tacking another 5 grand onto the price!!  :brickwall:

I hope this thread lives and some others post with pics of stuff they tried it on.  something about it really strikes a chord with me.  kind of like the guy over at cuda-challenger who adapted junkyard ford efi to his 360.  it's so out of the box, but the results speak for themselves.
RECHRGED

The Ghoul

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 28, 2006, 09:27:03 AM
jaak, I don't want to speak for the guy, but I observed that here and over at moparts, there were some rude responses to this.  Seems like lots of people like to forget that he originally said that this works well if you DON'T HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO SPRAY, OR WANT TO DEAL WITH THE FUMES/BUILDING A PAINT BOOTH.  in a nutshell, there are SOME SITUATIONS where it will do a fine job and fit your needs.

some chose not read that part and just bash the idea, comparing it to a sprayed paint job.  This guy put a lot of time into getting the info out to those who wanted the info.  He did not deserve to have some respond the way they did.  Now, IF he had come on here and said that for 50 bucks, you could have national show/trailer queen/1 of 1 hemicuda quality paint, then people would have been right to criticize.  BUT he did not do that. 

It burns my ass to see someone who is just trying to help out the others and gets dumped on. 

That might be why he did not appreciate your "hlpag" comment. 
wow you really changed my mind I had no clue that there was more to the post then just the beginning and the end.  ::)
It burns my ass when people see some one that displays an opinion other than there own they automatically think they are dogging em.

All that's trying to be pointed out on the non-bandwagon is that
1- If you are not apposed to doing a little spraying in a back yard it would mostlikley be less work to turn out an equivalent paint job. just because it states if DON'T HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO SPRAY, OR WANT TO DEAL WITH THE FUMES/BUILDING A PAINT BOOTH doesn't make the point any less valid for those of us who have compressors and spent $35 on a spray gun.
2- I don't think any one denied that it seems like a good method for those of us who don't have the tools or more than a double digit budget.
And lastly
3- We are all very used to 'if it's too good to be true it mostlikley is' so if yad stop being so darn jumpy and defensive about it you might just understand some skepticism.

and for all of you piping hot that im still not buying in I just want it restated yet again.
I believe the results are as described.. I mean come on who would have a reason to lie about this its not like we are going to award a prize here.
My only critique on the subject is it might be way more work than its worth (compared to doing it yourself), like getting across the US on a moped...

so can we move on yet, or do I have to find yet another way to explain that just because some one doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they didn't read the information, or looked at the pictures, or buys what some one else is selling.

The Ghoul

"wow lovley feeling in the room isnt there, like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we are all trying to still eat"
-dain cook

so how did you do the door jambs, engine compartment under the hood and stuff like that?
I guess i got too buisy jumping to conclusions at first but how much of a pain was it to do all the buffing to get it to look glossy?

dkn1997

Nice try, but I was just attempting to let jaack in on why they guy might not have appreciated the hlpag comment.

RECHRGED

69chargeryeehaa

hey guys, the "hplag" comment i took as a insult.  looking at the post and just seeing someone posting "canadian hplag" pissed me off.  we all know how everyone feels about hplag.  after putting alot of effort into describing the technique to everyone and answering hundreds of pm's on both this site and the moparts site, when i see a comment like that it would piss anyone off too.  i have no problems with peoples opinions and what they think about the process, but i don't like poeple posting insults.  if you came back with a comment like "i don't think it would work and here's why:....." then amen.  anyways apology accepted, let's move on.

regarding the amount of work, i have done BOTH techniques, if you read my post i've sprayed several cars in single stage with professional results.  not to mention the costs, it is tonns more work to spray then to roller.  when comparing a single stage acrylic enamel to the roller job, with spraying you have to prep the car, prime it, sand it, put primer sealer on, sand that, spray color, mix tonnes of paint, hope and pray there's no reactions to any of the previous steps, battle dust unless you have a booth.  the roller way u just prep the car, paint 2 coats, wetsand, paint 2 coats, wetsand, paint 2 coats and wetsand again, then buff/polish.  no taping, same mix every time, ect....i did my charger in 3 days, spending 2 hours for 2 coats, and about a hour wetsanding. so total of 9 hours over 3 days.  when i sprayed my 71 blue beetle in the pics it was a much longer, harder, stinkyer, messyer process.  after the final wetsand i spent about 3 hours to polish the whole car, which is basically standing there and letting the electric polisher do it's thing.  if you have the equipment to spray then do it.  i found the roller technique MUCH eaiser. ;D ;)

TK73

Man, VERY COOL!!

I did my trunk in rustoleum a couple of summers ago, that stuff is hardcore tough.

I would love to do both my vehicles with this technique but I live in an apartment with no place to sand...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

69chargeryeehaa

oh and i forgot to mention, i painted the trunk, engine compartment and that stuff before the body, and just left it without polishing and sanding, came out fine.  also i could not spray the charger because it is to long to fit in my garage confortably and have access to the whole car to spray.  the beetle is 6ft shorter and fit no problem!!!!

69chargeryeehaa

oh btw, i just looked up "HPLAG" in the dictonary and the definition is: "crook, bad worksmanship, to be dishonest, lie, scumbag(s), anal/anus, crap/poo/poopoo, rectum/anal sphincter,the part of the monkey that if you eat you die,to miss represent ebay items,pimple on the bum of society"

maybe now you can understand why anyone would be offended? lol  ;D :-* :icon_smile_tongue: :yesnod:

TruckDriver

Quote from: cudaeh on January 29, 2006, 03:57:09 AM
so how did you do the door jambs?

Good question. Kinda hard to roller those spots. Did you just use a foam brush?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on January 29, 2006, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: cudaeh on January 29, 2006, 03:57:09 AM
so how did you do the door jambs?

Good question. Kinda hard to roller those spots. Did you just use a foam brush?

foam brush and roller where possible ;)

The Ghoul

neet-o.
I guess I kept thinking in terms of uncut paint. the way it never drys flat. I guess sence you cutt it so much in the process and use so many thin coats it lays flatter than I pictured. I kept imagining trying to wet sand walls (you know the texture of walls in your house after they have been painted). I imagine this would be great for doing the underbody. sans wet sanding that is.
and as for the 'H' word I had no clue it ment all that  :o I thought it was just an automotive abreviation I didnt know yet.

Chris G.

I don't care what anyone says, if this guy posted a pic of his car and didn't mention anything about the paint, I'll guarantee he would get nothing but compliments...especially from SilverRT.  :Twocents:

Cool car dude, I like what you did with it.  :thumbs:

'CUDA360

I'm gonna get some Rust-o-liem and give it a shot.  As far as wet sanding goes I always spend a week doing that after paint anyway...  I am wondering what would happen if you paint it that way first and then painted acrylic enamel. Would it stick ??  Would the primer goo up the paint underneath??

I will find out

Arthu®

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on January 29, 2006, 05:04:01 PM
I don't care what anyone says, if this guy posted a pic of his car and didn't mention anything about the paint, I'll guarantee he would get nothing but compliments...especially from SilverRT.  :Twocents:

Cool car dude, I like what you did with it.  :thumbs:

I can second that, you took great effort to explain it to all these people. And yes it is an paintjob on a budget (a very low one actually), but for what it costs it looks damn well.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: 360cuda on January 29, 2006, 05:29:53 PM
I'm gonna get some Rust-o-liem and give it a shot.  As far as wet sanding goes I always spend a week doing that after paint anyway...  I am wondering what would happen if you paint it that way first and then painted acrylic enamel. Would it stick ??  Would the primer goo up the paint underneath??

I will find out

i have done both, painted over the rust paint with single stage acrylic enamel and BC/CC with no issues/reactions.  just scuff up the rust paint job then primer...ect....just as any traditional paint job.