News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Laugh if you will, but...

Started by dkn1997, January 26, 2006, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

I copied and pasted everything that guy wrote about how to do that into a wordpad file.  I was going to paint my Charger with Rustoleum rattle can to get a matte black finish, sort of like my Bronco hood, wasn't that hard,  but after seeing those, I will do that.  That looks better than what I was going to try and do.

This last spring my Bronco hood was mostly grey primer, some rust spots, etc., factory paint had just fallen off, rest of truck was ok.  I figured, try to can spray it.  The sanding and primering and wet sanding, eight or nine coats altogether went fine.   The problem was after putting on the gloss black I put on high gloss clear coat, well, that actually dulled out the shine of the gloss black, and made it sort of matte black.  Also, despite my masking efforts, overspray traveled all over the place, not much, but enough to be a pain to get off the rest of the truck, ok, so I didn't know, was new at this. 

My dough is going into the rebuild of the motor, getting the car on the road.  I figure if I paint it myself, the car will look a lot better than it does now, and all he is saying is that forget all the masking and fumes and dust issues and overspray, plus thinning it out and putting it on thin with wet sanding each coat and then lots of polishing, I don't mind doing all that.   I just don't have the knowledge and means to do all the fancy spray stuff like the pros, that is all.  This will prob. work fine for me I hope, thanks for posting the link.   

edit:  you know, I didn't polish the hood at all like he did, or wax it or anything, so maybe I can get it to look better.  A friend thought I dulled the gloss a little on the hood on purpose to reduce glare from the sun while driving, lol, ya, I live in Seattle, give me a break, like I need that.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Johnny SixPack

I dig the flat black look personally.  :yesnod:

Coming from a former Alaskan (where the sun sits right on the horizon for much of the late winter/early spring and consequently reflects right up off your hood and into your watering eyes), I think it's great! :2thumbs:

One of the reasons I love the hood blackouts on my "70.  :icon_smile_big:

My "69 is going to be an all flat paint job (minus the top since I'm sticking with the vinyl), so I'm definitely impressed. :cheers:

I'm just gonna go olive drab (much like a military vehicle) instead.  :icon_smile_cool:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

bull

There was a thread on here a while back about a couple kids who did a rattle can paint job in an empty parking garage in the middle of the night. Seems it turned out ok too but it wasn't a collector car for sure.

HDCharger

Before you guys bash the guy to death someone try it and report back.  Some guys don't have 8 or 10 thousand dollars to dish out.  In fact I bet most guys here don't have an extra 1000 bucks to dish out.  Many are struggling in this world just to get by so if a $50 can of paint gets them a decent looking car and keeps it from rusting away I say give it a chance.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and I'm sure it will get back here real soon if it doesn't.  My 2 pence worth.
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

TruckDriver

Quote from: HDCharger on January 27, 2006, 09:25:38 AM
Before you guys bash the guy to death someone try it and report back.  Some guys don't have 8 or 10 thousand dollars to dish out.  In fact I bet most guys here don't have an extra 1000 bucks to dish out.  Many are struggling in this world just to get by so if a $50 can of paint gets them a decent looking car and keeps it from rusting away I say give it a chance.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and I'm sure it will get back here real soon if it doesn't.  My 2 pence worth.

Thank you and well said! :yesnod: That is my situation. Somewhere in the future when I do have the extra $8,000 to get a professional paint job, I will. But until then, A roller paint job that looks half as good as those will be better then nothing. I want a Plum Crazy car, but I like red too. So that will leave me to experment with that color.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

andy74

my next beater i am sure going to try it,what the hell-the worst that can happen is your out 50 bucks and a day or so of time,looks great to me!

69chargeryeehaa

all i have to say to all the naysayers is look at the pics. pics don't lie.  i tryed to back up what i've done with pics.  even with pics people think it's not reality, so to them i say, ok....fine, it's all a lie, move on, have a nice day ;D like i said before, Once again i'll mention that the thread title is "paint job on a budget" read the thread title BEFORE you comment. If you have a #'s match Hemi cuda vert, 1 of 1 concept car with 0.0003 original miles, and a build sheet engraved in platinum u found under the rear seat, get it done profesionally. if you have the skill and time to do it my way and have a weekend warrior that you don't want to be embarhassed to drive but don't crap $ every night after dinner then give it a shot!!!
I did the 74 orange beetle 6 years ago, and since put 35,000mi on the car.  everyone thinks that i've permenantly ruined the car by doing what i've done, all you have to do is prep and paint the car and get it done professionally if u so desire.  when i was looking to get my charger painted, it was stripped of all chrome, rubber, door handles ect... and it was prepped, i had 5 body shops come to my house and give me estimates.  i was not getting a # less than $4000, and that seemed to be a half ass job (pardon my french).  keep in mind the car was stripped and prepped, with a rust free body, basically all it needed was a final prep and paint.  basically they all see it comming, a 1969 dodge charger, well now, this is gonna cost you!!!! if i had a 90 honda civic, the same paint job would cost $1000.  at the time i just bought the car, spent ALOT of money on the car, and replacing all the asthetics like bumpers, door handles, keylocks, all rubber seals on the doors, trunk, ect...door pannels, headliner, carpet, not to mention the mechanicals like brake booster, heater core, wires, plugs, brakes, shocks, ect.....so another $5000 for paint? it was out of my reach, by now i had $15000 into the car.  It's not the end of the world, i CAN REPAINT THE CAR!!! but for now i'm really happy with the way it turned out, it looks great.  My 74 beetle in the pics i really took my time with and it looks like a $5000 paint job.  if you have doubts then run away NOW grasshopper!!!!  
Take another good look at the pics, then comment.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/?start=0

oh and to answer the question about the paint thickness, the paint on the car is not thick at all. 4 coats of paint that i sprayed on the 71 beetle midnight blue car (1 initial tack coat, 2 medium, and 1 flash coat to get the metalic uniform)used just over a can of paint with a HVLP gun on a beetle (they don't get smaller than that!!!) plus take into acount that about 1/3 is reducer. i used about 3/4 of a can on the charger, the paint is really thin. like i said eairler, you only cover up the bodywork, underlying color until after the 4th coat, keep in mind that there is wet sanding in between each 2 coats. The charger is at least twice the surface area of the beetle, the paint on the 71 blue beetle is thicker than the paint on the charger and the 74 orange beetle.  plus there is no primer or primer sealer under that orange paint, resulting in a really thin layer.

4402tuff4u

It should work fine. Several years ago I did a boat with Awlgrip paint system with a roller too. It came out awesome! Like it was mentioned above, I used a special "roller" thinner that made the paint more workable and the small lines disappear once it dried out. So it should work on a car.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

ramit

I think that for the money you probably can't beat it. :2thumbs:

dkn1997

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 26, 2006, 11:09:55 PM
people looking how to get good shit for cheap, it just doesnt work that way. You get what you pay for

The whole point was paint on a budget.  He never said you were going to get the same results as if you spent 10k at the body shop.    I guess you missed that.

as far as spraying it, again, the point was being able to give a car a decent looking paint job without having to build a booth or inhaling fumes.

RECHRGED

my73charger

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 27, 2006, 12:15:11 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 26, 2006, 11:09:55 PM
people looking how to get good shit for cheap, it just doesnt work that way. You get what you pay for

The whole point was paint on a budget.  He never said you were going to get the same results as if you spent 10k at the body shop.    I guess you missed that.

as far as spraying it, again, the point was being able to give a car a decent looking paint job without having to build a booth or inhaling fumes.

:iagree:

Red440

Here`s to thinking outside the box :cheers:

I think its great  :2thumbs:

694spdRT

I wonder what would you use in place of filler primer to get the body straight....just body filler?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: jaak on January 26, 2006, 11:25:22 PM
Canadian HLPAG ???????

It's comments like that form poeple like you that make me hate this board, if you could READ, then u would see what i'm saying, get a life.....if you have nothing constructive to say then go away, i'm not making u do it so go somewhere else and deposit your verbal diearea there.............for all the others that i hope i help out with some of my knowledge and what i've done i hope this helps you out.  sorry about that rant; it's that time of the month........ :flame:

694spdRT

I for one give you credit for posting this. This topic is painting on a budget and $50 is amazing. Not everyone can afford to pay for expensive paint jobs these days. I would not have a problem trying this on a driver type car..what it there to lose?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 27, 2006, 01:08:21 PM
I for one give you credit for posting this. This topic is painting on a budget and $50 is amazing. Not everyone can afford to pay for expensive paint jobs these days. I would not have a problem trying this on a driver type car..what it there to lose?
I for two! :wave:

You're right, the topic was "paint job on a budget" & for the results, it can't be a sweeter deal than that, IMO. Very well done & thanks tons for sharing all that info!

I have the perfect specimen for a "Men in Black" clone car. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

my73charger

I have already showed this to one of my buddies that is desperate for a paint job but can't afford it.  I am thinking seriously about trying it too.  Lord knows I can't afford a professional paiint job right now.  I think it is Excellent! :yesnod:

volk68

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on January 27, 2006, 01:03:31 PM
Quote from: jaak on January 26, 2006, 11:25:22 PM
Canadian HLPAG ???????

It's comments like that form poeple like you that make me hate this board, if you could READ, then u would see what i'm saying, get a life.....if you have nothing constructive to say then go away, i'm not making u do it so go somewhere else and deposit your verbal diearea there.............for all the others that i hope i help out with some of my knowledge and what i've done i hope this helps you out.  sorry about that rant; it's that time of the month........ :flame:

I read through the whole thread over on Moparts, and I am really intrigued by your work with this stuff.  I don't really want to paint my Charger for $50, but I am really tired of paint and body guys charging for sub par results, or not even getting any of the work done at all.  There is something I would be willing to try on my Charger, though, and that is the black tail panel.  I believe you mentioned having used this paint for that...could you post a pic of that and describe how you did the tail panel?  Even though mine is a 68, I might consider putting this in the hood callouts as well.

SeattleCharger

For one thing, it is hard to have a Charger that doesn't look cool, and this is something that most people can do for themselves without a lot of money for supplies or equipment, nice when there is something I can do myself on the car.   I did have a little bit of a learning curve doing the hood on my Bronco, but afterwards I realized I could prob. paint my Charger and make it look half way ok, and this way, no overspray and shaking the dang cans up all day.  No masking, etc.  

Here is a pic of a Charger, almost looks primer, still looks cool, don't know who's car this is, someone from our site, and this car has no shine or gloss or anything, compared to the pics of the roller job, the roller job car looks pretty nice.   I know my car won't be perfect, but a lot better than it is now.

volk68

I believe that is Blade's charger...the one they used in Blade Trinity, and yes, it still looks awesome  :yesnod:

Old Moparz

I'd give it a try, but I just spent $65 on permanent magic markers to do the same thing & want to try that first.

Seriously, I think the $50 roller job looks great.  :2thumbs:  I've never been one to condone a mega-buck paint job, & no matter what car I had, I would never spend thousands for "just paint" on a car. (I'm not talking about body repair.) There are a lot of instances where you "get what you pay for" but there isn't enough logic on the planet to convince me a $10,000 paint job is worth getting over a $2000 paint job. I don't know if I'd try the roller myself, but not because it's a roller. I don't have the time, & even more importantly, the patience, to prep, sand, & buff out a car.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TruckDriver

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 27, 2006, 01:49:19 PM

Me three  :yesnod: :2thumbs:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

SeattleCharger

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on January 27, 2006, 06:05:24 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 27, 2006, 01:49:19 PM

Me three  :yesnod: :2thumbs:

Yup, thank you.  Appreciate all the info and directions with details and photos.  Oh, me four.  :yesnod:   :icon_smile_big:

73-charger-383

Dude........you rock.......
I think it's a kick ass idea.  I'm going to give it a try this spring.......

wetfeetmi

69chargeryeehaa, could you be more specific on "Tremclad"? Who makes it and where did you get it? Some of our truck cabs at work might be good candidates.