News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Laugh if you will, but...

Started by dkn1997, January 26, 2006, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

This guy over at moparts painted his 69 with a roller, buffed it out and it looks really good.  cost him about 50 bucks and a few days in the garage with no real special tools

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

judge for yourself, but I think it's a neat idea for that car you just want to get on the road and not worry about getting road rash on.
RECHRGED

'CUDA360

I do that to my floors and roof for extra rust prevention but sheeeesh.
I guess that would work   ???

twilt

I am going to try it!   nothing to lose, everything to gain.

chargervert

A friend of mine,painted his 70 Superbee,with a Wagner power painter! He painted it orange! It had so much orange peel,the only thing missing is the sunkist stamp!

dkn1997

the charger this guy did has no orange peel.  the shine is not all there, but he says it will look even better with some more wetsanding/buffing
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

Quote from: chargervert on January 26, 2006, 06:34:16 PM
A friend of mine,painted his 70 Superbee,with a Wagner power painter! He painted it orange! It had so much orange peel,the only thing missing is the sunkist stamp!
:haha: Nice!

Man, this is a pretty cool idea!
I'm sure as hell not gonna paint my Charger that way, but I'm thinking it would be PERFECT for my 82 Crown Vic with nice, faded paint! :boogie:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Bandit72

isn't he a member over here ??? , i know i've seen that car....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

dkn1997

I don't know if I would do my charger either, but if I got hold of a project car for my son, like an A cuda, duster/dart, I would try it.
RECHRGED

twilt

I am absolutely going to try it. Right now, i have three 72 charger project cars. 2 of them, i just want to be of reasonable driver type quality. One of them has been painted flat black with a can already, so what would i possibly have to lose by trying? I will be thrilled if the result is anything close to the guys charger on moparts. 

Highbanked Hauler

Try it on a junk panel,who knows it might work. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

lilwendal

I work for an airline and we have used that roller method quite alot for  painting large stripes on the aircraft.  The key really is the roller.  Has to be that high density foam small diameter roller.  Although i wouldn't do a car myself this way,  the planes i've done/seen done this manner are suprisingly smooth and glossy and although we dont bother with wet sanding and polishing, that would greatly improve the finish.  I believe the paint supplier I use even has a roller set up available now.

dkn1997

Quote from: lilwendal on January 26, 2006, 09:15:19 PM
.  The key really is the roller.  Has to be that high density foam small diameter roller.

exactly what the guy on moparts said.  A few guys tried poo pooing the whole thing, but the first thing the guy said was that this would be good for a driver, not a show car.  They still tried hammering him. 
RECHRGED

69chargeryeehaa

Hey, i'm the guy!!!! all i can say is that it works, read the whole original moparts thread, theres alot of read, but in there i answer alot of questions.  for those of you who think it's BS, then, ok, i fess up, i lied, my bad, what i really did was i got a bunch of paprikia powder, and some currie powder, mix that with a bunch of pee or until you get the "orange" you want, human pee works the best!!! then roller it on the car, it looked great until it rained.

ok seriously, here's the original post, lots to read:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

and here are pics of the supplies and cars i've painted:
http://photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/?start=0

The dark blue beetle was painted with a single stage acrylic enamel, and a HVLP gun in my garage.

my73charger

TruckDriver

I'm gonna try it too. I need to cover my roof like NOW! :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemihead

If I had a Camaro or a Nova i would try it but not on a Mopar.  :icon_smile_cool:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Silver R/T

people looking how to get good shit for cheap, it just doesnt work that way. You get what you pay for
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

Bandit72

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 26, 2006, 11:09:55 PM
people looking how to get good shit for cheap, it just doesnt work that way. You get what you pay for

seems to me like it would be a better alternative than letting the car rust out from under you....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

TheGhost

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 26, 2006, 11:34:38 PM

seems to me like it would be a better alternative than letting the car rust out from under you....

You should know by now that logic doesn't work on Silver.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Johnny SixPack

So lemme guess, we're graced with your presence thanks to a dented can day at Albertson's?
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

TheGhost

Quote from: formula_440 on January 27, 2006, 12:50:42 AM

So lemme guess, we're graced with your presence thanks to a dented can day at Albertson's?

:haha: :lol: :smilielol: :punkrocka: :2thumbs: :cheers:  That was quite possibly the best one yet!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Telvis

The Ghoul

ok here is my oppinion... mind you just oppinion.
in my mind if i were to go thru all the buffing and stuff to make a rolled on paint job look good i'd rather applie it to a cheap paint gun and rustolium.
pluss wouldent a cheap spray gun require a lot less buffing out?

dont get me wrong here, those are amazing results and it has got to be nice and thick and its a great way to get a color other than gray, or black on a car you want on the road. but I would think with all the work you'd go thru to make it look that good  might be better placed with a closer starting point.

I think im gonna stick with my 2 gallons of rustolem, big jug of minral spearits, and a $30 online spray gun for cheap paint jobs that last forever and look allright.

the roller method seems like a great way to do it if you dont have a compressor...

bull

After getting an estimate for $19,400 to paint my '68 I'd say $50 sounds pretty good.