News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rough idle.. cylinder not firing?

Started by cactuswren, March 13, 2012, 07:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuswren

Just started up the charger for the first time since sitting all winter. It sounded good last year but now idles a bit rougher. I felt the exhaust manifold all around and it was hot except when I came to the location near the #2 cylinder where it felt cold.  So would I be right in assuming my #2 cylinder isnt firing? What would cause this?

Chryco Psycho

bad plug , change the plug , bad wire , test with an Ohm meter should be 7-12,000 ohms , vaccum leak near that port , or worse , bad valve

cactuswren

Shouldn't be a bad valve. Actually had a stuck valve last summer that broke in that very same cylinder. Basically rebuilt the heads and replaced valves. It ran very good after all the work done on it.

firefighter3931

Run a compression test on the dead cylinder  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cactuswren

Found out the problem today. After finding out I had spark I took off the valve cover and noticed the exhaust pushrod popped out. Have no idea how that could of happened...

Chryco Psycho

the lifter collapsed while sitting with the valve open & increased spring pressure , when you fired it up again the pushrod dropped out before the lifter pumped back up

cactuswren

more bad news.. After I put the rod back in place everything ran good last night. Then this morning it was idling rough again. This time the same pushrod was bent very badly. The exhaust valve is free so i dont know why I'm having problems with this one?? I checked all the others and they are ok. Any other ideas?

Chryco Psycho

cactuswren

Well everything is fixed now. Turned out to be a sticky valve after all. Took the head off and luckily I didnt crack a piston or break the valve. The stem looked like it had some dry corrosion on it or something. Got it all back together and it's running good now.