News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lookie what I found in the garage attick

Started by bad88t-top, March 12, 2012, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad88t-top

So,  I've been thinking about missing up the wheel & tire combo for this year so I've been thinking about buying a set of Good Year Polyglas's for my ralley wheels and taking the Magnum's off.  I remember my dad saying he still had the ralley's he drove the car home with in 1977 so I figured I'd take a look in my mom's garage attick and see what I could find.  This is what I came up with after a good washing.

I found 5 ralley wheels/tires which 2of the beauty rings have little dents so I'm going to send them out and get straighted and polished.  I've wanted to send out my original wheel lip mouldings anyhow so now's a good time to send it all out.   

I also found some factory paint drips from the assembly process on the inside of the one front wheel, red/orange in color.    I'm guessing this is from the assembly process and a careless assembly lien worker with a paint brush.   What's your thoughts?   I'm open to speculation.

I also found 2 black wheels up in the attick with Polyglas's on them, but the size was H70 15.  My dad doesn't recall where these came from but the tires are literall brand new.   Does anyone know if these are Charger steel wheels or not?  Maybe I'll end up with 3 sets of wheels, Magnum's, Ralley's, and Black steel wheels with caps.  LOL

I think I"m going to restore them.   Does anyone have any recommendatiosn where I can obtain lug nuts, wheel and center paint, and correct valve stems?

Enjoy
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

OldGuy

Keep the rims but lose the tires.  Tires that old might get you around the block once or twice before blowing out - I wouldn't risk it any further than that!
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Alaskan_TA

The faces of the rear brake drums were painted red on Rallye wheel cars. It looks like the paint was still wet when your were put on. Cool to see!

bad88t-top

Would you guys sand blast the wheels or just scuff the faces and put a fresh coat of top coat on the face?   Also, who sells the proper paint to refinish the centers and wheels?  Need to lug nuts too, the originals weren't to the caliber I was hoping for.  lol
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Those will look great!  I am looking forward to seeing them when done.  Argent silver, I believe is the color of choice.  I found an old thread on the subject. The quote is from half way down in the thread that is posted.  Although a 71 and he used the charcoal.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70181.0.html

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 27, 2010, 11:49:39 AM
Rallye Wheel Center Caps

Decided to do a little cleanup of some '71 Rallye Wheel centre caps (appliques) that I bought off eBay, I have seven in total some are the correct dark (charcoal) colour for '71 and some are the argent silver for 1970. I loosely followed an article that I have from a June 1991 Musclecar Review magazine. Materials I used include: Eastwood's Charcoal Rallye Wheel paint, 000-grade steel wool, chrome polish, 3M masking tape, and new rallye wheel center cap inserts. This is the procedure I followed:

1. Use a fine grade scuff pad like a 3M or Scotch to rough up the area which will allow the paint to adhere. Be sure to get into all the hard-to-reach areas, like lug nut holes.

2. Use the steel wool to to clean the unpainted chrome areas and use a polish to then polish those areas.

3. Mask off the clean chrome areas with 3M masking tape, leave some overhang and then trim off the pieces with a sharp knife or razor blade. Mask the back of the holes to prevent overspray.

4. Then paint the cap keeping the spray approx. 18-30 inches away, remember to turn the cap around a few times to get all the areas and 100% coverage.

Here is the finish product, with a fresh coat of paint and a new center cap insert which I purchased off eBay. I think they look good enough and I spent about 1.5hrs and less than $40. The taping and masking was the time consuming part.

hemigeno

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on March 12, 2012, 08:41:36 PM
The faces of the rear brake drums were painted red on Rallye wheel cars. It looks like the paint was still wet when your were put on. Cool to see!

:iagree:   The drum brake paint (Rallye and Road wheels both got it) was applied right before wheel installation, so there is often red paint drips/runs on the inside of the rim and sometimes down onto the inside face of the tire itself.

Very cool stuff!

:2thumbs:

bill440rt

Yep, my original road wheels have the same sloppy red drips!  : :yesnod:  Very cool!

Bill, check your PM!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on March 13, 2012, 11:06:56 AM
Yep, my original road wheels have the same sloppy red drips!  : :yesnod:  Very cool!

Bill, check your PM!  :2thumbs:

Hoo boy I know where this is going!  :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T