News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Help with 68 Charger RT with 11" Power Drums

Started by Chargermoneypit, December 12, 2011, 12:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargermoneypit

It appears that there are two versions of the rear brake set up on a 68 Charger RT with 11 inch rear drums. I have the version with the heavy duty spring on the bottom of the brake pads and the two main springs on the top. They are manual adjusting from what I am reading. The question was asked if these can be converted to self adjusting and does anyone have any feedback on the success or problems of a conversion. I found pictures to show the two brake types. I am in the reassembly stage and the 68 shop manual actually does not show my brake system. Any help or pictures are appreciated.

Chargermoneypit

Here is the set up I apppear to have. I am not seeing it anywhere in the shop manual like this.

Dans 68

Looks like the 11" units used on Police cruisers and Heavy Duty applications from a '69, which were manually adjusted. I'll scan the pages from the '69 FSM and post them.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

gtx6970

If you want to make them self-adjusting,all you need is the self adjusting hardware kits.
avail thru about any auto parts store

Chargermoneypit

Thanks Dan and Bill,

I am just assuming that the 68 FSM did not have the heavy duty application illustrations. I have been out there putting it all together this evening and it is pretty simple other than trying to get the springs over the anchor. Holly cow! Spring 1 vs me 0.

I did pick up the self adjusting kit along with the new hardware but had heard some guys comment that they have had problems with the self adjusting set up and just left them to manually adjust. Any thoughts on that topic. All that was missing on mine so I am assuming that it never had it to begin with. Besides I have a cell phone to call ahead when I need to stop :eek2:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Chargermoneypit on December 12, 2011, 12:20:58 AM
Here is the set up I apppear to have. I am not seeing it anywhere in the shop manual like this.

Hey... That looks familiar..  :D

If you get the adjuster kit, hopefully the adjust cable will be long enough.....   Do they make a 11" adjustable kit?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger RT

I changed my brakes over to self adjusters 11 years ago and have had 0 issues. I checked everything a few years ago and its still perfect in there.
Tim

Bob T

I'm having a few issues with my 68 R/T with 11'' drums rear and drum front in between wthe other wiring issues.
There has been new drums, shoes and hoses installed all round approx 8 years ago and its only had around 1000 miles since. The resevoir was empty when I got it so I've bled them twice and still have little to nothing going on in terms of braking effect. The pedal is a fair way down but the brakes do not start to work until it is all the way down and then only just.
Is this just shoe adjustment to remedy this ?
If so, do I just wind out the star under the shoe locks up to prevent the wheel turning then back it off 10 clicks or so on each wheel?
Or am I missing something obivious.
Thanks
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Per my 66 parts book, "Spring,Lock, Manual Adj., 11" Brakes" is part number 2265203.

Using their interchange tool (http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/raybestos/interchange),
this number cross references to Raybestos H403.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Bob T on February 05, 2012, 05:12:59 PM
I'm having a few issues with my 68 R/T with 11'' drums rear and drum front in between wthe other wiring issues.
There has been new drums, shoes and hoses installed all round approx 8 years ago and its only had around 1000 miles since. The resevoir was empty when I got it so I've bled them twice and still have little to nothing going on in terms of braking effect. The pedal is a fair way down but the brakes do not start to work until it is all the way down and then only just.
Is this just shoe adjustment to remedy this ?
If so, do I just wind out the star under the shoe locks up to prevent the wheel turning then back it off 10 clicks or so on each wheel?
Or am I missing something obivious.
Thanks

Brake pedal travel and feel has everything to do with rear brake adjustment.   Drum brakes get adjusted so that there is an ever so light drag when rotating the wheel.      Just enough to hear the brake shoes rubbing against the drum.      After that make sure the emergency brake works good.

Did you ever find the source of the problem which caused the reservoir to be empty?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bob T

Brake pedal travel and feel has everything to do with rear brake adjustment.   Drum brakes get adjusted so that there is an ever so light drag when rotating the wheel.      Just enough to hear the brake shoes rubbing against the drum.      After that make sure the emergency brake works good.

Did you ever find the source of the problem which caused the reservoir to be empty?
[/quote]

No, I didnt, and zero leaks anywhere, oddball at the least.   
Drum adjustments are good.
Anyway, I found the stroke travel on the adjuster rod from the booster was too short, so I took a measurement with the vernier and gradually moved it out a bit at a time and tried it again road testing it around the block.
Also had a faulty pcv fitting into the booster which was screwing things up as well.

All good now , and Thanks for the suggestions guys  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.