News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 quarter panel extension stud

Started by E5 Charger, March 19, 2012, 10:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E5 Charger

I have a broken stud on my 74 quarter panel extension. How do you remove it? Is it threaded or pressed in? It doesn't want to budge and I'm afraid to crack the metal around it. The extension pieces look like they would easily break.

71_Charger_R/T

They are an integral part of the casting (just pot metal) you would have to drill and tap but I'm not sure there is enough meat to do that...... I've got a couple laying around somewhere, I'll have to look and see.

E5 Charger

Thanks 71_Charger_R/T, but I was able to make mine work. There was enough of the stud left that I was able to cut threads where there wasn't any at the base of the stud. I can't use the factory nut because it doesn't have threads at the bottom of the nut and won't grab the shorter stud. It's hard to explain, but if you've seen the strange shaped nut you know what I mean. A washer and a regular nut does the job, and unless you crawl in the trunk you can't see it.

71_Charger_R/T

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about..... The nut shaped like a little top hat. Good fix. Glad you had enough still there to cut some threads in and get a nut to catch.