News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drifting a '70 Charger...

Started by Marck, March 11, 2012, 01:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving every second of this...  :2thumbs:
I'm also reminded that just a couple af days ago they put salt down on the roads here, so it'll be a while before I can get behind the wheel again...  :brickwall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1tX2MsQFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IdBlnihAG8

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

dads_69

Back in the day it was called Power Slidding where I'm from. When did it become called drifting?
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

Ghoste

I think when the tuner cowd learned of it.  Not sure though.

pullrock

For as young as he is, not a bad driver...   :2thumbs:

Back N Black

Its mentioned in the video that he is a pro race car driver. Did you see the body roll of the charger in the second video!  :o

Patronus

Did you see the three chicks in the back seat in the first one??!?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

charger_fan_4ever

Must be some nasty stone chips on the 1/4's after the back road episode. As mentioned above there is some major twist going on. Do the doors still open and shut  :o

surmanajaja

car looks a little high to my taste in the 2nd video. and I hate the sunglasses and clothes In the 1st one but the guy can drive and that car handles better than any mopar I ever drove, lol :icon_smile_big:

he races Camaros.

http://www.palnerracing.com/?teamet

http://www.raceauthority.com/stats/?licence=Palner90

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: dads_69 on March 11, 2012, 04:38:41 PM
Back in the day it was called Power Slidding where I'm from. When did it become called drifting?

its called being 'recycled' such as clothing, technology, etc...all the same stuff, but different names for it. Im sure power sliding was around way before your time also they called it something different before your time also.

Mikesmoparperformance

Damn :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: I love it very nice driving! :popcrn:
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

XS29LA47V21

Drache

Showed these to my dad and he was like:

"And? That was a normal day with my '70..."

:icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Cooter

I kept waiting for the inevidable Vooorm,Vooorm, BANG!..OH s**T!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Kern Dog

Yeah... That is fun to do, but sliding around with a camera stuck to the side of the car, while OTHER people are also driving on a public road....NOT smart. I hate to sound like an old man here. I peel out and slide around corners only when I can see that there are no other cars nearby.

moparguy01

The kid does have excellent throtte control...

greenpigs

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 12, 2012, 12:57:13 PM
Yeah... That is fun to do, but sliding around with a camera stuck to the side of the car, while OTHER people are also driving on a public road....NOT smart. I hate to sound like an old man here. I peel out and slide around corners only when I can see that there are no other cars nearby.

Kids are killed way to often doing stuff like that. Even if he races on a pro circut he is a douche for driving on a public road like that & with passengers no less. I don't care if I sound like an old man.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

jar1292

I think that was great! although the gravel gives me no respect for the man! you know how hard it is to fix chips?  :popcrn:
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: greenpigs on March 12, 2012, 07:19:04 PM
Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 12, 2012, 12:57:13 PM

Kids are killed way to often doing stuff like that. Even if he races on a pro circut he is a douche for driving on a public road like that & with passengers no less. I don't care if I sound like an old man.

as long as your consistent I say.....

Mike DC

I'm not gonna hate on the guy. 

Kern Dog

Hey MOONshine guy......
Thanks for the links. That dude in the green 240 can DRIVE! Why though... why, do these guys have to link in such stupid music? I can't see the connection of drifting  a powerful car with  ghetto cRAP "music".

HPP

Sorry, I'm unimpressed.

Sliding on gravel, no big whoop.

The asphalt slide was a good start, but if he had held the slide throught he whole turn and then whipped into opposite lock into the next turn, like a real drifter, and continued through the course, then I'd be impressed.

Ghoste

You don't think it requires any skill to maintain a controlled slide through gravel?

HPP

I didn't say that he had no skill, just that I was unimpressed with it. A controlled slide through gravel is a skill that can be picked up quickly, if you are already cognizant of and capable with throttle control. If you're a mash it and hang on type of driver, then yeah, it may be a bit tricky.

Ghoste

Oh I see, I was misunderstanding you then.  :cheers:

WhiteLightninn

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 14, 2012, 02:14:21 AM
Hey MOONshine guy......
Thanks for the links. That dude in the green 240 can DRIVE! Why though... why, do these guys have to link in such stupid music? I can't see the connection of drifting  a powerful car with  ghetto cRAP "music".

hahaha i guess its because its really popular with the younger audience and that music is in right now, i thought the song was lame too

Mike DC

Drifting is simple & easily picked up in the same way that launching a car at the dragstrip is simple & easily picked up.

dixiestillalive

At least wear a helmet, carry no passengers, and stay off the traffic roads.  A little maturity would go miles further than any stunt driving skills. I was made to read the narrative below before I was able to get behind the wheel of any car. My father kept it in his tool box (on top) lest we forgot it.

Please God I'm only 17
The day I died was an ordinary school day. How I wish I had taken the bus! But I was too cool for the bus. I remembered how I wheedled the car out of Mom. "Special favor," I pleaded, "all the kids drive."

When the 2:50 bell rang, I threw all my books in the locker. I was free until 8:40 tomorrow morning! I ran to the parking lot, excited at the thought of driving a car and being my own boss. FREE!

It doesn't matter how the accident happened. I was goofing off -- going too fast. Taking crazy chances. But I was enjoying my freedom and having fun. The last thing I remember was passing an old lady who seemed to be going awfully slow. I heard the deafening crash and felt a terrific jolt. Glass and steel flew everywhere. My whole body seemed to be turning inside out. I heard myself scream.

Suddenly, I awakened; it was very quiet. A police officer was standing over me. Then I saw a doctor. My body was mangled; I was saturated with blood. Pieces of jagged glass were sticking out all over. Strange that I couldn't feel anything.

Hey, don't pull that sheet over my head. I can't be dead. I'm only 17; I've got a date tonight. I am supposed to grow up and have a wonderful life. I haven't lived yet. I can't be dead.

Later I was placed in a drawer. My parents had to identify me. Why did they have to see me like this? Why did I have to look at Mom's face when she faced the most terrible ordeal of her life? Dad suddenly looked like an old man. He told the man in charge, "Yes, he is my son."

The funeral was a weird experience. I saw all my relatives and friends walk toward the casket. They passed by, one by one, and looked at me with the saddest eyes I've ever seen. Some of my buddies were crying. A few of the girls touched my hand and sobbed as they walked away.

Please...somebody...wake me up! Get me out of here. I can't bear to see my Mom and Dad so broken up. My grandparents are so racked with grief they can barely walk. My brother and sisters are like zombies. They move like robots. In a daze, everybody! No one can believe this. I can't believe it either.

Please don't bury me! I'm not dead! I have a lot of living to do! I want to laugh and run again; I want too sing and dance. Please don't put me in the ground. I promise if you give me just one more chance, God, I'll be the most careful driver in the whole world. All I want is one more chance.

Please God, I'm only seventeen.

This letter originally appeared in a column by Ann Landers, with whose permission we reprint it here.

Surf Charger

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on March 11, 2012, 09:27:49 PM
Must be some nasty stone chips on the 1/4's after the back road episode. As mentioned above there is some major twist going on. Do the doors still open and shut  :o

Who cares about chips if you can drive like that....I'd love to be able to do that in my Charger.

RallyeMike

QuoteShowed these to my dad and he was like:

icon_smile_big

Ya. That's the way I drove my first Charger 30+ years ago. I also used to take it up on the logging roads and spit gravel all over the quarters. That's just the way it was. 

Looks like good old fun to me.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Drache

Quote from: RallyeMike on March 14, 2012, 11:13:29 PM
QuoteShowed these to my dad and he was like:

icon_smile_big

Ya. That's the way I drove my first Charger 30+ years ago. I also used to take it up on the logging roads and spit gravel all over the quarters. That's just the way it was. 

Looks like good old fun to me.

+1 respect to you!  :2thumbs:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Surf Charger on March 14, 2012, 07:12:59 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on March 11, 2012, 09:27:49 PM

Who cares about chips if you can drive like that....I'd love to be able to do that in my Charger.

Wouldn't hurt the paint on your newly acquired S/E :P