News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine bay question

Started by coxie1996, March 08, 2012, 05:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxie1996

so in my 73 charger i've decided to repaint the engine bay while the engines getting rebuilt.. i was told 2 options..

1. Bedliner/undercoating or
2. primer, paint, clear

now the engine bay it down to bare metal (for the most part) and will be getting self etching primer & 600 grit on it all no matter what just dont know what will look nicer.. anyone have pics of theres? thanks

Charger-Bodie

Paint it body color. Thats my vote anyway. Looks really nice in a mopar engine compartment when its all fresh with the bright shiny paint.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

coxie1996

im on a budget man, if i had the money i wouldnt have even posted it'd be the same color as the exterior but unless i can have my bay painted bronze metallic for under $150 its not possible  :rotz:

Charger-Bodie

You have to buy paint either way. Get some enamel in the color and shoot it yourself.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

coxie1996

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 08, 2012, 05:41:46 PM
You have to buy paint either way. Get some enamel in the color and shoot it yourself.

only problem i fear is theres too many little imperfections.. ill get it prepped and see how it goes from there

Indygenerallee

imperfections in a body colored engine bay will look better than a bedliner sprayed engine bay.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

DC_1

Quote from: coxie1996 on March 08, 2012, 05:18:13 PM
im on a budget man, if i had the money i wouldnt have even posted it'd be the same color as the exterior but unless i can have my bay painted bronze metallic for under $150 its not possible  :rotz:

Then why did you post this?......Sounds like you already made up your mind. Myself, I think painting it with bedliner is a mistake  :eek2:. Like 1HD said, go with some enamel in body colour. You could can even get single stage metallic to match the exterior - allthough it is not easy to shoot for someone inexperienced, it still would look better than bedliner IMO.......or better yet, wait till you have the funds and do it correctly.

68X426

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on March 12, 2012, 07:01:18 PM
Quote from: coxie1996 on March 08, 2012, 05:18:13 PM
im on a budget man, if i had the money i wouldnt have even posted it'd be the same color as the exterior but unless i can have my bay painted bronze metallic for under $150 its not possible  :rotz:

Then why did you post this?......Sounds like you already made up your mind. Myself, I think painting it with bedliner is a mistake  :eek2:. Like 1HD said, go with some enamel in body colour. You could even can get single stage metallic to match the exterior - allthough it is not easy to shoot for someone inexperienced. It still would look better than bedliner IMO.......or better yet, wait till you have the funds and do it correctly.

Agreed x2. Bedliner is for lining beds.  :yesnod:  Paint it and delay something else.  :coolgleamA:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

incautious

You can get a quart of urethane in your exact color from TCP global for around $77 mix in the hardener and a slow reducer and paint.( makes 1 1/2 qts spray able) This stuff is thicker than base coats so it hides imperfections. The slow reducer will help it flow out nice and it's gas and oil resistant. This is what I do with every car, base/clear on the outer body and jambs, urethane on the engine compartment, trunk and under body.

DC_1

Quote from: incautious on March 13, 2012, 12:17:26 PM
You can get a quart of urethane in your exact color from TCP global for around $77 mix in the hardener and a slow reducer and paint.( makes 1 1/2 qts spray able) This stuff is thicker than base coats so it hides imperfections. The slow reducer will help it flow out nice and it's gas and oil resistant. This is what I do with every car, base/clear on the outer body and jambs, urethane on the engine compartment, trunk and under body.

Thats a way better idea then bed liner!   :2thumbs:

coxie1996

alright no more hating on my bedliner suggestion!  :lol: im going with paint just not sure on color.. cars gonna get repainted someday in the future.. so dont wanna pick the wrong color..