News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whos running front and rear swaybars on there 71-74 charger, is it a better ride

Started by bugsydog, March 07, 2012, 01:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugsydog

my 74 charger has never had front or rear swaybars, and i wanting to install front and rears and wanted to hear from prople who have installed them to see if there was a big difference, or im i just wasting time? who would you purchase them from and are they easy to install?

RallyeMike

Front bar is an absolute must for a better ride.

Adding a rear bar will also help, but the difference is not that noticeable unless you are into "spirited driving".

I don't have any particular recommendations for sources.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

myaerocars

+ 1 on the front bar is a must!

I once owned a 1972 Plymouth Satellite with a  400, A/C,  p/s and  P/b  car with no front or rear  anti sway bar. It handled terrible.  Of course it had a worn out front end and skinny tires that only made things much worse. I flipped it pretty quick  for some other parts for another project.

I would recommend even a  set of stock anti sway  bars with  new bushings  if you are on a budget.  There are several aftermarket companies who offer bar packages... search this forum for some previous discussions  about the pros and cons of each one. Personally, if I had the money, would use stuff from www.Firmfeel.com   as    the brackets are nice and strong.

As a side note, be sure and include a good set of shocks and consider an upgrade in torsion bars to just around 1.0 inches. Of course, best to start with a complete inspection  and a rebuild (if needed) of your current suspension setup as if they are worn, the anti sway bars will not as effective. 

Godspeed,
JON

TK73

Front for sure!!

When I bought the '73 the sway bar was hanging loose, LOUSY ride. 
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

draftingmonkey

My plain jane '74 Charger had a front sway bar.  Thought the front bar was standard, but I have been known to be wrong. Maybe removed by previous owner?  I installed a rear many years ago and yes, it is a big improvement, even with a SB.

AirborneSilva

Tilar

The bars may be available (not sure though) but the hanger mounts are not. I have a broken one on my 73 Rallye and can't find one anywhere. Guess I'll have to figure a way to get under it and weld it back up. It's not rusted up, just broke.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

NHCharger

My 71 BB has a front sway bar. My 72 SB does not. Huge difference. Definitely worth it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Chryco Psycho

Mine has front & rear , it corners very flat , I used E body R/T front & rear bars

68RT4ME

I have a front bar and the addco rear bar. A friend recently drove the car a commented on how good it handles. I have to agree  :cheers:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Scaregrabber

I installed a rear bar on my 71 Runner to complement the stock front bar. They should be considered a must on a street driven car.

Sheldon

Nacho-RT74

My car didn't came out with rear bar, but handling become NOTICIABLE better when I installed
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Stretch

My '73 Rallye charger came with front and rear bars. I agree about the front being a must. A rear bar only makes it better. A good set of QUALITY gas shocks are a must in my opnion aswell. I'm a big fan of KYB when it comes to shocks.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Stretch on March 12, 2012, 02:39:26 PM
My '73 Rallye charger came with front and rear bars. I agree about the front being a must. A rear bar only makes it better. A good set of QUALITY gas shocks are a must in my opnion aswell. I'm a big fan of KYB when it comes to shocks.

Which shocks do you use, not to change the subject  :icon_smile_big:

Stretch

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 12, 2012, 06:51:05 PM
Quote from: Stretch on March 12, 2012, 02:39:26 PM

Which shocks do you use, not to change the subject  :icon_smile_big:

That depends on the year of the car. The kyb gas-a-just shocks are a heavy duty mono tube shock are avilable fot the front and rear of '65 - '72 B-bodys. The Gas-a-just is not avalible for the front of '73 and '74 chargers. Part numbers are....

'65 - 72 B- bodys
Gas-a-just             Excell -g (GR-2)
front KG4510           Front  not avalible 
rear  KG5512           Rear 343159

'73 & 74 B-body
Gas-a-Just             Excell-G (GR-2)
Front Not avalible    Front 343158
rear KG5512           Rear   343159

'77-'78 B-body
Gas-A-Just             Excell-G (GR-2)
front Not avalible     front   343158
rear KG5546            rear     343139

The Excell-G is the new name for the GR-2. All they did was change the name. The Excell-G is KYB's standard replacement in gas rather than oil. I don't recommend mixing the Gas-a-justs and the excell-g's. (front and rear) Some guys don't care. I just like both the front and rear to react the same or as close to the same as possible.  All KYB shocks have a lifetime warrenty.

I hope this helps

AirborneSilva

Hey Stretch, yeah that does help.  I do have a 73 so I guess gas is out of the question if it's not a great idea to only go with the rear shocks.

Stretch

KYB says its ok. The Gas-A-Just shocks are alot "stiffer" for lack of a better word. I have Gr-2's on mine and I like it alot. I don't race or auto cross it at all. It's a cruser. If the Gas-A-Just were avalible for the front and rear they would be on it. I have Gas-A-Justs on my other cars and have installed tons of them over the years in my shop. Don't get me wrong. The GR-2's are an awesome shock aswell.

AirborneSilva

HPP

My experience with KYBs has been less than steller. They seem to be a high pressure shock with digressive valving, so they can produce a very stiff ride. With stock to slightly larger t-bar rates and all new bushings, they may be okay. Once you start stepping up to larger t-bars, they then have inadequate control to manage the higher rates, yet still have the high pressure that can make the ride punishing.

I had KYBs on a lifted CJ5 once. Ride was awful and I attributed it to the short wheel base and extra spring rate. I never knew how bad they were until I converted to Rancho 9000 adjustable units. It changed the ride so much it felt like it was stock again, but much more capable and controlled.

To the original poster, adding the sway bars won't significantly alter the feel of the ride at all, but somehow I don't think that is what you intended to ask. Will they improve the cornering feel, yes. Will they impact the straight ride feel, not really. Definetly worth the addition of at least the front unit if not both ends. Also, if you haven't done so yet, have the alignment altered to a more radial friendly layout as well: as much positive caster as possible - up to 5 degrees, zero to negative .5 camber, and 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in.

Stretch

HHP

Did you have KYB MONO MAX shocks on that? If so They are super stiff and way to much for a short WB like a cj5. I have them on my '98 full size ram 4x4 and like them but I only drive it when I need a truck. I use it in the woods and for pulling my trailer. It's no longer my daily driver. Yes it rides stiff but it's a truck.

HPP

Nahh, they were Gas Adjusts.

Over the years I've learned to pay a lot of attention to shocks. They are the heart of the suspension system and if you don't get a good match of dampners to springs rates, you're leaving ride, comfort, and performance on the table. A high rate spring with a good quality shock will ride better and corner faster than a weak spring rate with a high pressure shock. They should compliment each other and work in concert with the wheel motion.

Think of it this way, you can stab any cam grind in an engine, just like you can put any shock under a car. Whether it works well with the overall combination to produce the maximum results is really contingent upon making sure they compliment each other. A .509/320* cam isn't going to play well with an 8:1 smog motor any better than the wrong shocks will work with the wrong spring rates.  KYBs do work well with some combinations and they can be picked up at a decent price. With most set ups they do not play well at all. If they improved your set up, congratulations.  I'm just putting it out there in case someone decides to buy them because they are such a bargain and then discovers that the ride leaves something to be desired, well, it isn't the first time that has happened.

I'm not the only one who has that opinion evidently; http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7005575&an=0&page=5#Post7005575

Stretch

I agree 100% Its called a Suspension system for a reason. KYB and bilstein share patents on shocks. I don't really know the details on that but I believe they are far superior to Gabgial and Monroe. As everything else on cars/ trucks, it's all about tunning and what the driver wants to do with their car and what kind of ride, and road feal they want. 

Just like everything in life, there is no such thing as "one size fits all".