News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another question re: blown engine build

Started by Charger4404spd, March 06, 2012, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

Ok guys I removed the 906 heads from the engine just to check things out. Valves and seats dont look real good so I need to make a decision. I called the machine shop to get a round about cost to install new stainless valves, enlarge the ex. valves to 1.81's , do a 3 angle valve job and check the guides. Price somewhere between $800-$1000 :-\

I can get the new Eddy RPM heads ready to go from Aerohead for less than $1400. Now for the question. Are aluminum heads better for a blown motor? Any things to worry about? Or I can get a set of steel factory heads ready to go with the big valves for $600. Decisions decisions!!!

Also, I would be able to run the 84cc closed chamber Eddys and keep the compression where I need it.

OK guys, what would you do? All comments welcome.

firefighter3931

The price you quoted doesn't include the bowl cut/blend or the other hardware (springs/locks/retainers) so once you factor that in you'll be close to a set of Eddy RPM's. It adds up quick !

After all that you'll have heads that weigh a lot more and have way less flow. The RPM heads alone on a typical non boosted application are worth 80hp....with the forced induction that number widens significantly. Cylinder head flow = Horsepower......plain and simple.  :yesnod:

To me this is a no-brainer  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Thats what I was thinking Ron, I just want some reassurance, thanks!

Charger4404spd

Will the 84cc closed chamber heads be ok with the blower??

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 06, 2012, 08:23:54 PM
Will the 84cc closed chamber heads be ok with the blower??

Sure, those will be fine.  :2thumbs:

The reduced cylinder head weight will help offset the extra lbs that the blower will add to the nose of the car. It's a win/win all around.  :yesnod:

Oh, and the RPM heads come with hardened valve seats which are unleaded fuel friendly....something else that would need to be added to your iron heads. The reason your valves are sunk is because of UL pump gas.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Thanks man! Every time I turn around I find that the price keeps going up on this endeavor. I think it will be worth it in the end.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 06, 2012, 08:36:06 PM
Thanks man! Every time I turn around I find that the price keeps going up on this endeavor. I think it will be worth it in the end.

Of course it will be worth it....a Roots blower is very cool !  :coolgleamA:

Here's a pic of the 671 on Kevin's Coronet  :drool5:

Ron

Charger4404spd

Steve P.

Damn, I LOVE that car....  :drool5:

I spy a 65' Coronet hard top behind it and in the next row too!!!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

cdr

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 06, 2012, 07:56:37 PM
Ok guys I removed the 906 heads from the engine just to check things out. Valves and seats dont look real good so I need to make a decision. I called the machine shop to get a round about cost to install new stainless valves, enlarge the ex. valves to 1.81's , do a 3 angle valve job and check the guides. Price somewhere between $800-$1000 :-\

I can get the new Eddy RPM heads ready to go from Aerohead for less than $1400. Now for the question. Are aluminum heads better for a blown motor? Any things to worry about? Or I can get a set of steel factory heads ready to go with the big valves for $600. Decisions decisions!!!

Also, I would be able to run the 84cc closed chamber Eddys and keep the compression where I need it.

OK guys, what would you do? All comments welcome.

I heard that somewhere :scratchchin:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chryco Psycho

I agree use a newer set of heads , either the 84 or 88 cc heads would work fine as you can make up the compression with more boost . I would recommend using Cometic gaskets with the dis-similar metals between the heads & block .
The Cam design needs to have a 112 -114 cl to widen the lobe separation / overlap so you are not blowing good fuel into the exhaust system .

Charger4404spd

Engle recommended a 112.
As far as compression goes, according to the calculator, if I use a .051" head gasket with the 84cc heads that would put me at 8.45:1. Is that a bit too much? Could I go with a thicker cometic gasket?

Rolling_Thunder

The compression: you also need to take into account if you're using aluminum heads the 1 point of compression drop because of the aluminum. So your compression ratio will effectively act like 7.45:1    ---  At least that's my understanding
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 08, 2012, 05:29:58 PM
The compression: you also need to take into account if you're using aluminum heads the 1 point of compression drop because of the aluminum. So your compression ratio will effectively act like 7.45:1    ---  At least that's my understanding

Hmmm...learn something new every day. Not sure I understand that though. How exactly does it lower compression?

b5blue

It's an effect of greater heat transfer from the aluminum.  :2thumbs:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

kamkuda

How much boost are you planning?
You may need a better valve if you run a good amount of boost

I am planning around 10-15 lbs with a procharger and running about 8.5 compression with a coated piston.
Heavy Duty Valve in a Indy EZ head

FYI on Camshaft
Solid Roller
Cam on a 112
at 50 257 267
650 lift

Street Strip Car

Charger4404spd

kamkuda

You should be fine with the stock heads or have the valve coated if you want some added insurance
Sounds like a fun build.  :popcrn: :2thumbs:

Charger4404spd

I have decided to get the RPM heads. I can get them almost as cheap as what the machinist wanted to redo the 906 heads.

Still trying to figure out the cam, some say 112° or 114°.  :brickwall:

kamkuda

Both 112 and 114 will work.
A cam recommendation comes from all factors including cu, air flow, intended use, boost etc/

I would call dwayne porter Porter Racing Heads and have him get you a custom grind.

Charger4404spd

I will give him a call tomorrow, thanks!

Steve P.

You may want to consider getting the heads from Dwayne too.  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on March 12, 2012, 10:23:07 PM
You may want to consider getting the heads from Dwayne too.  :2thumbs:

:iagree:  Or at least have him inspect/prep them  :yesnod:

PRH 802-951-1955

Ron

Charger4404spd

I called Dwayne today. Real nice guy and he took the time to explain some things to me. Sounds like he really knows his stuff. Look like I will be ordering a set of RPM heads from him and he is going to blend the bowls, do some work on the valves and set the spring pressures as well as working on the valve guides so they will work better with a blown engine. The price he gave seems really fair considering all this work he will do to them :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

Where do you want the powerband RPM wise , 114 is very streetable , 112 is better at higher RPM 

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 13, 2012, 09:54:51 PM
Where do you want the powerband RPM wise , 114 is very streetable , 112 is better at higher RPM 

Powerband will be low Neil. Do not plan on racing. Just a nice little cruiser :2thumbs:

Charger4404spd

Spoke with Dwayne Porter again today. He will be doing me a set of RPM heads and grinding the cam.  :2thumbs: Only bad thing is that its that time of year and hes covered up, but should have them within 3 to 4 weeks.

red69superbee

any machine shop that is any good and knows what theyre doing, will be covered up now for several months....

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 14, 2012, 08:07:51 PM
Spoke with Dwayne Porter again today. He will be doing me a set of RPM heads and grinding the cam.  :2thumbs: Only bad thing is that its that time of year and hes covered up, but should have them within 3 to 4 weeks.

Good choice.....you picked the right guy !  :2thumbs:

Guaranteed those heads will arrive ready to run and set up for your cam and the blower.  ;)

Ron

Charger4404spd

What impresses me about him is the fact he will really take his time and explain things to you. You can tell he takes pride in wanting to do the job right and do what will work the best. Appreciate you guys turning me onto him! :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

kamkuda

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 16, 2012, 03:26:27 PM
What impresses me about him is the fact he will really take his time and explain things to you. You can tell he takes pride in wanting to do the job right and do what will work the best. Appreciate you guys turning me onto him! :2thumbs:

Yes and he will tell you the way it is, and give you an honest recommendation.  You will ne happy
I am also picking up my heads and cam at the end of the month.  (road trip to vt) :yesnod:

Charger4404spd

Quote from: kamkuda on March 17, 2012, 08:57:44 AM

I am also picking up my heads and cam at the end of the month.  (road trip to vt) :yesnod:

Stop and pick me up  :icon_smile_big:
Ok I have to ask... what heads and cam are you going with?

kamkuda

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 17, 2012, 11:00:53 AM
Quote from: kamkuda on March 17, 2012, 08:57:44 AM

Stop and pick me up  :icon_smile_big:
Ok I have to ask... what heads and cam are you going with?

Heavy Duty Valve in a Indy EZ head

Solid Roller
Cam on a 112
at 50 257 267
650 lift

Charger4404spd