News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sail panel ??

Started by HOTROD, March 05, 2012, 01:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTROD

I think I have a problem on the sail panel not being level ,flat or strait were the two come together ,roof meets the quarter I put a strait edge on it ,the roof is bumped up before the weld it is just not level any one have this problem or run into this problem ,,????
   :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :scratchchin:
What the Hell-Dumass !

Silver R/T

How far off is it? You might have to bump it down with body hammer. Was it warped from too much heat?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Domino

It could be warped.  Dust on some guide coat (spray paint) and run a long block across the joint and transition onto to the roof curvature with light pressure. 

You'll know pretty quick which areas are standing up and will be in your way doing the body work.  With no access to the back side to dolly, I'd be careful with a hammer which will stretch the skin and maybe avoid it all together.

Try to shrink the high spots down with a friction disc and wet rag, working 1"-2" sized spots at a time. I got some tips from guys here and picked it up pretty quick.  Been using it in various places on my car to dial in panels.  Figure any time you hammer or dent metal it stretches, then it won't go back where it was...a little shrinking goes a long way in minimizing filler.

I'd start and also shrink more aggressively (get it hotter before quench) near the joint to pull tension on the edge of the panel and be more gentle (lighter disc pressure) as you work up towards the roof.   There the goal would be to gently push the skin down while you friction heat and then quench to freeze in place.

It may feel a little ripply after shrinking since you can't access the back side to dolly and really dial it in, but you'll probably use a lot less filler skimming that area than if you tried to build up both sides of your current high spot.

HOTROD

I am going to try and get some pic's with a strait edge on Wednesday !!
I do not see any thing bent on the in side .
Thanks
What the Hell-Dumass !

HOTROD

Had to cut them up just to get it on here!
What the Hell-Dumass !

HOTROD

Another
What the Hell-Dumass !

HOTROD

This one the strait edge is flat on the sailpanel lower part!
The only thing I have done is weld the trim holes and strip the paint.
The lead was gone when I got the car ,so is this supposed to do you like this???
What the Hell-Dumass !

PA Dodger

That's the same way mine is. I don't think there is anything wrong with what you see. It is lower in this area so that the lead can be leveled and blended into the curvature of the sail panel.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

HOTROD

Ok ,well I don't like it !!  :RantExplode: I am going to check out a 70 green charger in person !?
What the Hell-Dumass !

Troy

Here's my black 68 - originally a vinyl top car. You can see the indentation but the picture doesn't go all the way to the sail panel seam.

These are a bit farther away but you can see the gaps at the sail panel:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

HOTROD

:scratchchin: put a strait edge across the seem ?? thanks.
What the Hell-Dumass !

Cooter

That was the factory leaded seem. Looks normal to me. Fill it and don't worry bout it. Do NOT use lead thoguh, as most paints and fillers will NOT stick to lead.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sanders7981

Quote from: Troy on March 08, 2012, 05:22:12 PM

Troy

HOLY HELL !!! I haven't seen a Food 4 Less bag in AGES!  Sorry to get off topic. 

I had the same issue with my roof, I just used a little filler to help level it out. 

HOTROD

Shit I would need a gallon of filler just to get it strait !! :buff: :buff:
What the Hell-Dumass !

b5blue

Some weld a strip of steel in the well I think... :scratchchin:

HOTROD

:scratchchin: OK wait a minute I am not worried about were the panels join, the High spots on each side and then at the ends of the strait edge are low !!
So who ever work on this car before over heated it because all the lead is gone !!
I will just need to Fix it cut,weld ,hammer and fix !!
thanks guys.
What the Hell-Dumass !