News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What needs to go in before?

Started by jdiesel33, February 29, 2012, 01:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

I need to go ahead and get my windshield in, so I need to put in the dash frame first. I am sure it is a lot easier to put the dash all together first and then put in the dash frame, but what absolutely positively needs to be installed into the frame first that wont be TOO much of a pain putting in after? I will be putting in the heater box first, but other than that, what do I need to make sure I get installed?
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

charger2fast4u

It is best to install the head liner before you install the front and rear glass

jdiesel33

Cool. Already had that on the list before the glass thanks to you guys.
In this instance, I am referring specifically to things to go into the dash frame or on the firewall behind the frame. What things besides the heater box do I need to make sure are in before putting the frame in?
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

randy73

Firewall insulation, A/C box and I nice to have is the speedo cable.

bull

A guy who does Charger restorations was telling me the other day that he puts the dash frame in place before anything else. I disagree with that because I found it to be pretty easy to install the dash after I had installed the brake/clutch pedal assembly, the park brake assembly, the firewall insulation and the wiper linkage assembly.

What you DON'T want to do is install the steering column until last. I took a year off my life trying to install the dash over the top of the column. :slap: Also, I know a reputible resto guy here who likes to install all the wiring in the dash frame before he installs the dash, which makes sense to me. Oh, and I found it very easy to install the dash pad while the dash frame is out of the car. That pad can be a real PITA.

bill440rt

I like to assembly most of the dash as well out of the car. Defrost vents & upper pad is SO much easier to install while out of the car.
Put together as much as you can. Leave the glove box liner out though. I had to remove mine because I forgot to do something else, of which I forgot.  :scratchchin: :slap:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hd4406z

You can check out pics I posted on Stacey david site of What are you working on under my screen name here. I just finished with all my dash and getting ready for the windshield this week. I put in all the wiring first as you will not be able to reach all the places. Firewall insulation and speaker wired up ready to go. I still have my gauges off but have the wiring ready for hook up. I don't install the steering column until the last bit. I did all the pedals before that, On this car I only have the heater box so I installed after the dash and didn't have an issue at all. It just take work to do right and I have been doing Chargers since 1979 so I have a little practice. I will post more pics on that site as well as Lone Star Mopar. I am doing the SRT8 seats and console for this project.
68 Charger R/T 440 Auto
68 Charger R/T (Clone) 440 4 speed
2006 Daytona Charger Go Mango
2005 Daytona Ram Go Mango
2009 Challenger R/T Classic B5

C928BRAN

i put everything that mounts to the firewall, like the wiper motor, wiper arms, and wiper transmissions, the gas pedal, a/c box, stuff like that, before putting in the dash. i installed everything in the dash before i installed it, down to the speakers, and ashtray. its best to go ahead and hang your ductwork from the defrost vents too, and then you will just connect them at the box after. alot of the componets are really hard to get to after the dash is in, and if everything is installed. you just position the dash, on the 2 lower screws, and flip it right up, and connect the top screws, and thats basically it, and everything that goes on after, is pretty simple.

good luck, craig