News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Powder Coating Aluminum

Started by 1970Moparmann, March 04, 2012, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Is this possible?   Was thinking of cleaning up my engine compartment and was thinking of doing this to my intake and waterpump housing.

Thanks!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

73rallye440magnum

Yep. Are you thinking of putting clear on, or colored?
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

jb666

Yep... Just had 240 pcs (yep, 240) done for my wife's Mustang.. Came out amazing.

Rolling_Thunder

I was told it is possible - however the best results are to cook any cast aluminum pieces before they spray the powder - this outgasses the parts and makes the powder coat adhere better. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1970Moparmann

Cool-thanks guys. :cheers:  I wasn't sure....

Since this is what my engine compartment looks like now, I was going to go with a light grey or maybe even a silver shade.   I dropped the engine in quickly for the Power Tour 2 years ago and want to do it right now.

404NOTFOUND

I just had a really old set of finned aluminum valve covers done in "chrome powder coat" They turned out awesome. Looks like polished aluminum yet all I have to do is wipe them off to keep them clean. I just installed them yesterday. I'll see if I can post a pic. I might do the intake as well.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

John_Kunkel

I recently got one of the powder coat guns in the link below and have been playing with it some, anything that will fit in a conventional oven (lots of cheap working wall ovens floating around from remodels) can be done.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YEAYCW/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

404NOTFOUND

Here are the my valve cover pics as promised. Great looking and low maintenance. I might do the intake and waterpump too.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

1970Moparmann

That looks great! 

Thanks for sharing the info... :2thumbs:

Just just made my decision for me.

oldcarnut

Here's my 440-6 intake powdered.  Got it done for free  ;D  Haven't used it yet though.