News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

does this have bondo?

Started by cavemanno1, March 04, 2012, 04:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

Hi guys!

I'm just trying to figure out how to spot bondo on cars!

I have seen this car on ebay and it looks great to me,not that i wanna buy it!I just would like to know if this car has any bond on it because i think it has!you guys said that if it looks "fat" then it's got bondo and this looks "fat" to me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-/150770567386?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231aa048da

Thanks,
Peter

Fred

I can hear alarm bells ringing.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

charger Downunder

Maybe someone that lives close buy could go check it out.
Someone who would slap a rear stripe on like that would do a crappy resto for sure.
[/quote]

1970Moparmann

Quote from: cavemanno1 on March 04, 2012, 04:11:19 AM
Hi guys!

I'm just trying to figure out how to spot bondo on cars!

I have seen this car on ebay and it looks great to me,not the i wanna buy it!I just would like to know if this car has any bond on it because i think it has!you guys said that if it looks "fat" then it's got bondo and this looks "fat" to me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Dodge-Charger-/150770567386?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item231aa048da

Thanks,
Peter

In talking to a friend who has been in the restoration biz for a long time, i was surprised to hear that years ago shops used to skim everything with filler.  The good news is filler today is much much better.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

73rallye440magnum

It's difficult to tell in pictures. It's overcast the day the photos were taken, and the pictures are of very low quality.

Honestly, yes there is probably some filler in it, just like every other restored car.

Whether or not it was applied correctly is always the issue.

There is nothing wrong with filler when done correctly  :Twocents:

It looks like a nice car, but not $30k.

The trunk floor looks mint, and the blurry pictures showing the bottom lead one to believe it's solid.

No pics of described flaws...  :scratchchin:

In pictures, the green paint color looks very blue, and clashes with the correct green interior.

Is that a 383 2 barrel VIN? Tons of wrong parts in the engine compartment if that's important to you.

WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

1970Moparmann

Due to sellers misrepresenting cars, my strategy is now pretty simple.   Either buy a car that you know needs a complete restoration, or, only buy if there are many pictures of a supposed restoration or any body work.   My 68 for instance, looked pretty good when I bought it, panels were straight, just had a paint job that was decent for a driver, and this is what I found-

I like this one, major dent and it was filled in with filler!!! WTF.

I restored the car correctly, and I have the pictures to document it!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

73rallye440magnum

Some folks would much rather cave and pave then go through the tremendously demanding effort of ten minutes of metal straightening.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

cavemanno1

I thought it has bondo because the quarter panels look "fat" and can't see the bodyline!Maybe it's just me thinking it has a lot of bondo,i really wanna learn how to spot it!

Peter

bill440rt

The lines do look a little "rounded". Who's to say without being directly at the car, though?
ALL restored cars will have some kind of filler on them to some degree. No way to tell merely by looking at photos.

Try getting one of these:
http://www.eastwood.com/the-filler-detective.html

Yes, it's a little pricey, but worth it if it will save you tens of thousands.

Just looking at the photos it doesn't look like a bad car per se. At least they didn't paint over the door jamb latches and stuff. The plugged up holes in the jambs indicate that it's had some previous rust-proofing performed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixty8charger

What do you want to do with the car?   Drive it and enjoy it? or take it to shows and try to win prizes?
Jayson

Indygenerallee

It would be a good driver but man that color along with the interior is hideous. I think she has some mud in the quarters bodyline is non existent
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Patronus

Filled that with bondo?? WTF?!?   :eek2:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

cavemanno1

Quote from: Indygenerallee on March 04, 2012, 02:31:24 PM
I think she has some mud in the quarters bodyline is non existent

That's what i thought as well!Can't see the bodyline just the round quarters!

Brock Lee

Weak body lines were also a hallmark of the earliest quarter skins made available over 20 years ago.

charger_fan_4ever

Says in the ad it has bubling at the lower doors. Typical charger rust spot. Either they patched the door and the weld wasn't fully sealed and moisture got between the metal and filler and its starting to bubble.Thats the problem with patching. If your not 110% certain the weld is totally sealed moisture will get in there and do exactly that bubble.
Or they just plain bondoed over holes. Either way doen the road get ready for restoration #2.
Probably cheaped out and put the 1/2 chinese quarter panel and had to bondo the crap out of it after it warped the thin metal to pieces.

Noway would i pay 20k plus for a non badge car with bubling. Most of the time these restored cars are no better than a project in a box. Actually worse cause you have to strip all the past work and start over.

As mentioned either a perfect car with fully documented restoration or a project. Those cheaper drivers usually kill you in the end.