News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Same Chargers over and over on ebay...what gives

Started by Corey Dean, March 02, 2012, 10:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Dean

I have noticed on ebay, and this is mostly the 3rd gens, that the same Chargers are listed over and over. Many don't hit the reserve. Even those that have no reserve and appear to have sold, show back up a day or two or week later. I've only been watching ebay for a couple months now and it is the same cars over and over. Just wondering what is going on and has this always been the case?

duanesterrr

I have reached the point where I check ebay but don't expect to see anything priced to sell... Of course there are instances where this isn't true I'm just talking in general.

I check craigslist all the time though I feel that's a better place to find people who actually want to sell their car.

elanmars

I've seen cars be relisted up to a year or two. A lot of people probably bought some of these when the prices were very high and hope someone will buy it at their price. Or they think the prices are still at the 2005-2008 level. I've been looking for a car since last September and I haven't lucked out yet on a decent deal on ebay.

however, on craigslist, that's a whole different game. well, except for the people that don't list phone numbers and don't answer emails, those that don't post pictures...
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

jaak

They don't reach the outrageous reserves people place on them (most all Chargers), them they simply relist them. Barrett-Jackson/eBay prices are out of touch with real world prices.

I usually use eBay as a tool when they have listing specials and I want to list something. I generally put a high reserve (that I know won't be met). Then when the listing ends, you start getting offers from interested parties, then you can negotiate from there, and the best part is you sell outside of eBay, and don't have to pay them their final fees (which I think benefits both buyer and seller).

Example, last car I sold using eBay...I actually wanted 6500 for the car. I put a high reserve (like 8500), reserve was not met, bidding ended at 5700. Then email offers come in from folks serious about buying the car, wanting to know what my reserve was. I told them...a couple of negotiation emails...sold it for 6600 (outside of eBay), and all I was out was the 12 bucks for the ad, because they had a listing special.

Jason

surmanajaja

I have been checking 68-70 charger if not every day then every few days for 5 years now, and half the cars there right now have been there before..some 3-4 times in past six months. even ones that I thought looked like a good deal and were "sold" are again there..

probably when I have saved enough to really buy what I want, I wont be looking there. more likely I will buy one from a member here, that I have seen in threads for years, and gotten a general idea what kind of a person the seller of the car is.

1974dodgecharger

3rd gen guys rely on 2nd gen prices same with 1st gen sellers, but 2nd gen owners rely on barret jackson prices to sell their charges its a vicious cycle where the prices just keep going up and NO ONE buy them.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: elanmars on March 02, 2012, 10:38:55 PM
I've seen cars be relisted up to a year or two. A lot of people probably bought some of these when the prices were very high and hope someone will buy it at their price. Or they think the prices are still at the 2005-2008 level. I've been looking for a car since last September and I haven't lucked out yet on a decent deal on ebay.

however, on craigslist, that's a whole different game. well, except for the people that don't list phone numbers and don't answer emails, those that don't post pictures...
Ba da bing. Exactly.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

73rallye440magnum

Someone got into a heated bidding war with themselves when they saw this R/T.

Remarkably, it matched the bid from when the auction ended last week without meeting reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-RT-440-V-8-/170795092753?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c42e4b11
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

bakerhillpins

Quote from: jaak on March 02, 2012, 10:45:07 PM
I usually use eBay as a tool when they have listing specials and I want to list something. I generally put a high reserve (that I know won't be met). Then when the listing ends, you start getting offers from interested parties, then you can negotiate from there, and the best part is you sell outside of eBay, and don't have to pay them their final fees (which I think benefits both buyer and seller).

Example, last car I sold using eBay...I actually wanted 6500 for the car. I put a high reserve (like 8500), reserve was not met, bidding ended at 5700. Then email offers come in from folks serious about buying the car, wanting to know what my reserve was. I told them...a couple of negotiation emails...sold it for 6600 (outside of eBay), and all I was out was the 12 bucks for the ad, because they had a listing special.

Jason

This seems to be quite frequent. I have seen several cars go this way. A few I was interested in but someone local always got there first. I suppose it's a way to get a drop in point for negotiations.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

smac77

Quote from: jaak on March 02, 2012, 10:45:07 PM
They don't reach the outrageous reserves people place on them (most all Chargers), them they simply relist them. Barrett-Jackson/eBay prices are out of touch with real world prices.

Jason
That is the way 99% of the ebay deals go down... you can't judge pricing by ebay... the bids are usually at least 20-30% lower than what a car will actually sell for. I've never sold a car through an ebay auction, but have sold a ton becuase of an ebay auction... It's a good advertising tool... parts and supplies are a different story!
Restoration, Parts, Sales, Appraisals...

Distributor For: AMD, Control Freak, Wilwood, Legendary interiors & More!

www.macleanclassics.com

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I suspect most of the bidding could be shill bids by friends of the owner  :Twocents: Think about it... You want 25 grand for a car and set your reserve close to that... Why not have a friend bid it up to the reserve, then let the next bid buy it?  ::) Never happens, right  :o

Remember the "barn find" 1969 R/T from a year ago? It was bid to $24,500, or something like that... I had inquired what the reserve was set at, and was told it was $24,900... Right before the end of the auction, the bidding dropped BACK to $20,000... How does this happen?  :popcrn:

Corey Dean

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on March 03, 2012, 12:08:37 PM
I suspect most of the bidding could be shill bids by friends of the owner  :Twocents: Think about it... You want 25 grand for a car and set your reserve close to that... Why not have a friend bid it up to the reserve, then let the next bid buy it?  ::) Never happens, right  :o

Remember the "barn find" 1969 R/T from a year ago? It was bid to $24,500, or something like that... I had inquired what the reserve was set at, and was told it was $24,900... Right before the end of the auction, the bidding dropped BACK to $20,000... How does this happen?  :popcrn:

I'm sure that is a major part of it. I used to collect old baseball cards and shill bidding was rampant. Ebay then switched to hiding bidders identities and it got worse. Harder to detect now.

oldcarnut

I had listed my 69 Coronet RT 3 times on Ebay last summer/fall.  Got a little discouraged with the bids put out and finally sold it for a $19.500 dealer offer only to see him re-list it again a couple more times few months later and he sold it for 33K  :brickwall:.   
Even though the id's are hidden now, you can still click on their feedback and see how much of their bidding percentage is with that seller.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on March 03, 2012, 12:08:37 PM

had that happen to me roughly 6 years ago I found it odd that the person who bid above me then backed out with 2 mins left in the auction when he just bid like 5 mins ago. I believe it was his friend testing how I was bidding to see if he could get more money out of it of course. This was back in the day you could see the bidders name and what not.  As usual I offer/bid what I believe is a fair price and my budget and leave it alone if person does not like it then well oh well......

Usually im pretty fair on my price and what happens is the seller then cant sell it and comes back to me months later asking if I still want it for my price.

nakita7

Check and see how many sell. Less than 5% actually sell on Ebay. If it a No Reserve auction, it's probably legit. It's just people playing games...

UH60L

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on March 03, 2012, 09:06:44 AM
Someone got into a heated bidding war with themselves when they saw this R/T.

Remarkably, it matched the bid from when the auction ended last week without meeting reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-RT-440-V-8-/170795092753?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c42e4b11

That happenned when I got my charger off of e-bay.  The seller, or one of his buds, was bidding me up.  I stuck with my max bid, and the next day he outbid me, and I stopped.  Then, the next day (final auction day) he withdrew his bid, and I got the car.

I realy hate when people do that.  About the only thing you can do is have a max amount of money you can spend and when it goes over that, stop bidding.