News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona clone or leave it be?

Started by Indygenerallee, March 02, 2012, 10:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I would build up the glass to meet the fender or split the difference. The glass is thin on a nose anyway. If you do it carefully - build it up with glass or long kitty hair (do it carefully you do not want it brittle) that will help strengthen the sides anyway. This will help the sides to keep their shape. I also build the gaps all the way around to match perfectly.

I did this to my yellow Daytona nose and I got at least six years on it in hot hot summers and cold winters and my nose is perfect on the sides still. Proof is in results. My Red Daytona, I did not do this, and the sides tended to change shape throughout the year to a small degree on how it matched my fender on the sides.

Also, don't let anyone run your nose down or talk smack of the difference between polyester or vinylester fiberglass (it's mostly hype). These two different products are so, for boat and water application purposes, and not an issue of strength – in the application of a nose cone. Yes, vinylester has more cross linking molecules (not enough to make a difference for the Daytona nose. Polyester is perfect for the task, unless you want to use your nose to push gravel around, then make it even stronger and use vinylester and Kevlar  :lol:. Polyester tends to draw moisture "in water" over time (more aerated) compared vinylester. This is not an issue in a prepped and painted nose, unless you plan on storing your car under water  :rofl:. The strength and longevity of polyester resins is time tested. I worked at Cobra Boats in Vancouver and we still use both, with vinylester used in the outer layer for moister purposes.

Dane

Indygenerallee

Dane, Thanks for the info! Any news on the wings?  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

WINGIN IT

I'm curious, you mentioned you're not going to have a gasket for the nose.
Is it more an asthetics thing, I thought the gasket helped with minor flexing when the car's on the road.

Indygenerallee

Yeah no nosecone gasket, I am doing mine more restomod/NASCAR look at Dane's yellow Daytona clone it's a beauty flush nosecone. Looks a ton better IMO, I have steel Z-Brackets I made and if that nose moves with those in there I am in trouble!! :lol: The factory could have made it without the gasket but the Daytona was basically thrown together so instead of finnese fitting it they said "Hey let's just put a big black gasket around there!" The Superbirds were more thought out.

Daytona Guy

I wish i could tell you good new, that is, that i have the castings and i am working on them now. The foundry is growing weary of doing my wings. He has got a huge rush order from the coast  guard to run brass, so his whole foundry set for brass. I call him weekly. 

Then he tells me that the six castings and the large forms and man hours it takes, he does not want to pour them for even the new price. He said that these last three are going to be the last wings for this price and he is going to bump my price by 300.00 a wing. This tells me he does not want me anymore. 

We worked out a deal, because I made the patterns (plastic), but he owns the durable pattern that he uses to make the forms, so he makes the difference in his cost by charging me per wing extra than normal already. Well, i would have to buy his durable patterns ( they are huge with gates and risers built in), and then drive 60 miles to get a new foundry to do this, and i have no idea what they will charge me. 

All this to say, these may be the last 3 wings I make for a long time if at all. For this to even be worth my time the wings will cost at least 1900.00 and he will not make them but when he has time.  I told him that is terrible for my customers - he does not care. I'm just a little guy in a big pool of business he does. 

So I will do what people want. He will do my wings - but I have a feeling I'm going to use up our friendship in getting these done. His Son, who is going to take over soon, does not care about my business and does not want to do these wings. I believe it will be three weeks till I get these wings. Once I get them I will work night and day to get them done and to you guys. I only have two orders, and the third is mine. 

To say the least this screws me up. I'm ready to paint my car, and I can't until I get these two wings done. 

If you guys want your money back I can do that, or wait a little while longer. I can't say how sorry I am . I have always taken pride in getting my wings done on short oder. 

I'm stating this on the open forum, so that others know my predicament...

Dane 

cdr

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 06, 2012, 10:26:18 AM
I wish i could tell you good new, that is, that i have the castings and i am working on them now. The foundry is growing weary of doing my wings. He has got a huge rush order from the coast  guard to run brass, so his whole foundry set for brass. I call him weekly.

Then he tells me that the six castings and the large forms and man hours it takes, he does not want to pour them for even the new price. He said that these last three are going to be the last wings for this price and he is going to bump my price by 300.00 a wing. This tells me he does not want me anymore.

We worked out a deal, because I made the patterns (plastic), but he owns the durable pattern that he uses to make the forms, so he makes the difference in his cost by charging me per wing extra than normal already. Well, i would have to buy his durable patterns ( they are huge with gates and risers built in), and then drive 60 miles to get a new foundry to do this, and i have no idea what they will charge me.

All this to say, these may be the last 3 wings I make for a long time if at all. For this to even be worth my time the wings will cost at least 1900.00 and he will not make them but when he has time.  I told him that is terrible for my customers - he does not care. I'm just a little guy in a big pool of business he does.

So I will do what people want. He will do my wings - but I have a feeling I'm going to use up our friendship in getting these done. His Son, who is going to take over soon, does not care about my business and does not want to do these wings. I believe it will be three weeks till I get these wings. Once I get them I will work night and day to get them done and to you guys. I only have two orders, and the third is mine.

To say the least this screws me up. I'm ready to paint my car, and I can't until I get these two wings done.

If you guys want your money back I can do that, or wait a little while longer. I can't say how sorry I am . I have always taken pride in getting my wings done on short oder.

I'm stating this on the open forum, so that others know my predicament...

Dane

DANE that is a bad bummer,you seem like a very honest man just tryin to do the right thing,just for future why couldent they be made on a c&c machine or the new water cutting c&c
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Daytona Guy

My first thought is that if that was possible and cost effective someone would do it. Too intricate maybe? A called him today - good news if I can get them next week we could see a these done sooner than later. I will post progress.

Dane

Indygenerallee

No Dane I want one!! Just let me know when you need the rest of the money! No big hurry because in reality my car won't be done for probably another year but I want one of your wings!!!

mauve66

oh man, i cut the one you sent me last year, was hoping to get another one someday....................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

hotrod98

Quote from: mauve66 on June 08, 2012, 06:36:17 PM
oh man, i cut the one you sent me last year, was hoping to get another one someday....................

I was hoping to buy one to store away just in case. I've had a guy near here that keeps changing his mind back and forth about selling me his solid 69 Charger. I would love to have the wing just in case.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 08, 2012, 08:49:01 PM
Quote from: mauve66 on June 08, 2012, 06:36:17 PM

I was hoping to buy one to store away just in case. I've had a guy near here that keeps changing his mind back and forth about selling me his solid 69 Charger. I would love to have the wing just in case.
I don't want to high-jack this thread, so I will say no more after this, but I'm very frustrated.  I have invested a lot of time and money in patterns to make these. I hate and am sickened to charge 1700.00 as it is. I did these to help the after-market cloners to have a great strong wing. Now I'm not even sure in a few years how I will make my own :( It's not like I can cast aluminum in my garage. After these they will be more -  I hate to say it.

The only good part is because these wings take so much of my time that I don't get to do much on my build, so becasue of that, this last year I had not taken one order and I loved it. So now 3 wings in one summer is going to kill me  :coocoo: . The cost will most likely scare most people off.  

Down memory lane, I have shipped my wings to almost every state in the US, Canada, Iraq & England, with two on real Daytona's (I'll never tell). It's been a fun ride. I must say that my dream would be to help (donate) a wing for a TV show and be a part of that build. 

Dane

Indygenerallee

Your not jacking the thread Dane, Thanks for the info  :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I'll admit that there is a price point where I would have second thoughts about buying a wing that I might never use. Of course, the value will always be there as far as resale is concerned.  I had no difficulty reselling the two solid wings that I bought from you when I bought your newer hollow style wing. I should have bought two of the newer style wings at that time.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

i sold two solid wings to get my Dane wing . i was so happy when this showed up at my door.

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

i sold my dane solid wing for 1100 and adding more savings to it to buy my hollow wing when it came out

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Stu, Who's solid wing is this in my shop? You guys have several nice daytona parts stored up on the top shelf  ;D  I keep forgetting that I still have a bird nose and some other fiberglass parts that I never used.  I'm a mopar parts hoarder. My son bought a 70 Challenger earlier today and he's already gathered enough parts fom my stash to completely restore the car...lol

I'm really regretting selling my real bird wing and the nose that Mike G made for me.  :brickwall:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 10, 2012, 08:41:13 PM
Stu, Who's solid wing is this in my shop? You guys have several nice daytona parts stored up on the top shelf  ;D  I keep forgetting that I still have a bird nose and some other fiberglass parts that I never used.  I'm a mopar parts hoarder. My son bought a 70 Challenger earlier today and he's already gathered enough parts fom my stash to completely restore the car...lol

I'm really regretting selling my real bird wing and the nose that Mike G made for me.  :brickwall:
lonnie , mopar hounds wing

hotrod98

Okay. It's safe and sound where it is.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hey Hotrod , could you use the solid wing to make your own wings. you've made repro's of all the other parts  :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on June 11, 2012, 10:33:08 AM
hey Hotrod , could you use the solid wing to make your own wings. you've made repro's of all the other parts  :shruggy:

We don't have foundries here in the south. Which is strange since much of the aluminum bauxite is mined here in Arkansas.

Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Indygenerallee, your inbox is full :) Good news on the wings. Will be done soon.

Dane

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 27, 2012, 01:12:25 PM
Indygenerallee, your inbox is full :) Good news on the wings. Will be done soon.

Dane
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

BigBlockSam

Cooter

Dane, not to hi-jack this thread, but I know all to well your pain. I'm trying right now to get a couple VERY rare parts WAY smaller than your wings cast at a foundry....These people seem to be on the same page as many bodyshops when it comes to "Easy" money. Every time I ask about the pour, he's got something else in front. It's been two years now. I'm already invested over $10K with investors. They are getting restless for some money paidback and all I can tell them is the deal The Foundry and I agreed upon is being messed with...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"