News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FBO HRR688 vs. Rev-n-Nator

Started by BananaDan, July 27, 2016, 11:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

You may recall I had a series of issues last year blowing MSD boxes after having an MSD install done on my car. This spring, I removed the MSD box and wiring and replaced the engine harness and went back to the orange Mopar box. The car is stable again and has had ~400 miles put on her since I went back to the orange box which includes the trip to Carlisle this year. I'm not ruling out going to MSD again in the future, which I will install myself if I do, but for now I want to try out either an FBO or R-n-N box.

I have been doing a lot of reading and both units seem to have similar benefits like a rev limiter, better idle and starting, some promises of a HP and TQ increase over the Mopar orange box and they are plug and play with stock wiring. The key differences I have found seem to be listed below.

R-n-N: ($250 for ICU + coil)
Recommends their coil now for best results but early marketing and customers reported using a Blaster 2 coil just fine (currently still on my car so maybe don't have to buy their coil?).
Recommends ballast resistor be used on the street.
LEDs gives tach readings in engine compartment.
Appears more stock than an FBO box. (not a huge deal as I have mounted my ICU behind the intake with a bracket)
rev limiter is 3000 to 7500 in 500RPM increments, is not a positive stop limiter
dedicated ground wire and optional aux tach wire
Coils are $46/ea

FBO: ($189 for ICU + coil)
Must use their coil, but is a standard Pertronix coil most parts stores should carry.
No ballast resistor (a nice plus)
rev limiter is 5200 to 7000 in 200RPM increments, is a positive stop limiter
Coils are $35/ea

Did I miss anything?
If you're using one of these units, can you share your thoughts?
Did your idle and starting improve?
Did you see or feel a performance improvement?
Opinions on one over the other?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

justcruisin

I run the rev-n-nator, had it on my car for three years with zero issues. Checking with a timing light the spark appears stable, I run the engine to 5800 rpm at the track, I have the limiter set to 6000 and on occasion have hit it and it is right on the money when compared with my digital tach. They say you can drive through the limiter but unless you are stone deaf I doubt you would do it. Easy instal, but not recommended with vacuum advance (I run a MSD pro billet). I don't see the ballast as an issue - no need for a starting ballast bypass. I run a .040" plug gap and the plugs fire well and keep clean.

BananaDan

Thanks. I have a MP electronic distributor which is running a mechanical advance with the vacuum disabled.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein