News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dave's Calssic Cars

Started by fireworksman3, March 01, 2012, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireworksman3

Has anyone here ever done business with Dave's Classic Car's? He says he finances and takes payments but if you miss just one payment you lose the car and the money you already paid. I don't mind this as it seems its the only way I'll ever get another charger...but I don't want to get cheated either!

charger_fan_4ever

The 70 R/T and 69 R/T I swear he had them back in 2008 when i was looking for an r/t.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: fireworksman3 on March 01, 2012, 03:32:59 PM
but if you miss just one payment you lose the car and the money you already paid. I don't mind this as it seems its the only way I'll ever get another charger...but I don't want to get cheated either!

Sounds to me like you are going to get cheated. In the early 90s there was a dealer, in VA where I lived at the time, that had those terms and they ended up getting busted because they were actually setting folks up to fail so they could take their first X payments.

I would find some other way, those terms are total  :icon_bs:

:Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

jaak

'Buy Here/Pay Here' businesses are the lowest scum of the earth, that prey on people....whether it's late models, well used wore out junk or classics, my advice would be to run and run fast!

Jason

stripedelete

I agree, for the most part they are predatory.   What's interesting about this guy is he's preying on people that have no experience with delayed gratification, not some poor sap that needs a ride to work.   :Twocents:

fireworksman3

I have heard of those same stories here in Louisiana as well and I agree that it sounds like a scam...but when it comes to a 68 Charger, I guess Im like the x Files, I want to believe!  :shruggy: Guess I'll just go back to dreaming and drolling over google search images  :drool5:

fireworksman3

I have plenty experience with delayed gratification! Just ask my wife  :eyes: lol

bakerhillpins

Quote from: fireworksman3 on March 01, 2012, 04:16:03 PM
I have heard of those same stories here in Louisiana as well and I agree that it sounds like a scam...but when it comes to a 68 Charger, I guess Im like the x Files, I want to believe!  :shruggy: Guess I'll just go back to dreaming and drolling over google search images  :drool5:

Stick around here for a while reading up, click on the notify button in the Cars for sale section to be notified of new FS posts and give www.autotempest.com a try as well.   I waited for close to 2 yrs and found a great car with the help of the folks here.

Good luck.  :cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

fireworksman3

PocketThunder

Dude this car is not worth $7000.   :Twocents:
http://www.daves-classic-cars.com/Carpages/1968-dodge-charger-sale.html
"Original 383 auto. car, now no engine, includes automatic trans, buckets, console, tach, P.S., gauges, es, A/C.   $7,000"
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

If you're going to finance I recommend going through a company that deals specifically in classic cars. I have used J.J. Best in the past but there are others. The interest rates are probably a lot better than you'll get from a dealer - and they won't seize your property over a late/missed payment! They will only finance drivable cars but it sounds like that's what you're looking at any way. J.J. Best is partners with Grundy (my insurance company) so they handle a lot of the communication between themselves for you.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PocketThunder

If you can afford monthly payments, but you cant afford to buy one up front, then start making payments to yourself and wait another year or two.   :Twocents:

Or buy a 4 door coronet or some other off brand and drive that around while you save up for a Charger, then you can have the fun of driving an old car while you save up for your dream car.  :Twocents:

Good luck grasshopper!  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

You might be better off buying this 68 Charger from Jeremy before buying anything on the lot at Daves...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88292.0.html

Tilar

He is definitely running on "I wish I could get this" prices.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Troy

Hmmm, after looking I need to revise my post - there aren't any drivable cars there! If you're buying a project don't even bother. Finance a finished car or save money until you can afford a *good* project. In this market the finished car will be a better deal. You'll still be able to find deals on both for a while.

Also, checking the financing details... there's a 10% finance fee ($850 on an $8,500 car), a $200 documentation fee (over 2%), and you don't take delivery of the title (understandable) OR car(!) until it's completely paid for. Since the interest/finance fee seems to be mixed I'm assuming there's no compounding interest. So, in my example, for an $8,500 car you'll have $1,050 in fees and interest for a total of $9,550. Even if you made $400 payments it would take 24 payments (2 years) before you could take delivery. Any hiccup along the way and you've got nothing!

Troy

Aero426

Driven by there several times.   Even from I-55, he has a bunch of sorry looking junk. 

1974dodgecharger

some people will always think they are sitting on a gold mine just because it saids 'charger'  ::)

fireworksman3

Thanks for bringing me back to reality guys...I knew better. I think for my situation, pocketthunder had a good idea. Pay myself 400 a month for 24 months! That'll get me started!

Tilar

That's how I started my savings account lots of years ago. I paid it every week just like it was a bill.
Dave  

bakerhillpins

I actually find it's easier to have my paycheck direct deposited into several different accounts. When it's automatic it relieves me the responsibility of having to do it every 2 weeks and for me if I don't see it in the "operating" account I don't try to spend it.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Tilar

There wasn't such a thing as direct deposit back when I started so I had to be disciplined enough to not spend it.. which didn't always happen.  :P
Dave  

41husk

I have been autamaticly transfering $200 per pay to my savings $400 a month this month $600.  I have done this for about 4 years.  I currently have about $1200 :brickwall: :brickwall:  I always seem to get a project or need some part.  I realy need to just leave it alone.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

4cruzin

Quote from: 41husk on March 02, 2012, 08:51:04 AM
I have been autamaticly transfering $200 per pay to my savings $400 a month this month $600.  I have done this for about 4 years.  I currently have about $1200 :brickwall: :brickwall:  I always seem to get a project or need some part.  I realy need to just leave it alone.

I hope you are missing a zero there  . . . if not, someone is stealing your money dude!   4 years at $400 a month and all you have is $1200?  PROBLEM! 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Troy

Quote from: 4cruzin on March 02, 2012, 04:42:54 PM

I hope you are missing a zero there  . . . if not, someone is stealing your money dude!   4 years at $400 a month and all you have is $1200?  PROBLEM! 
I think the thief is someone he's very close to! :P

Troy

71green go

Quote from: Troy on March 02, 2012, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: 4cruzin on March 02, 2012, 04:42:54 PM
I have been autamaticly transfering $200 per pay to my savings $400 a month this month $600.  I have done this for about 4 years.  I currently have about $1200 :brickwall: :brickwall:  I always seem to get a project or need some part.  I realy need to just leave it alone.

I hope you are missing a zero there  . . . if not, someone is stealing your money dude!   4 years at $400 a month and all you have is $1200?  PROBLEM!  
I think the thief is someone he's very close to! :P

Troy

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: