News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Part Identification Time: Would this be the problem?

Started by Surf Charger, February 27, 2012, 08:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surf Charger

Evening gents. So I get everything put back together and go to fire up the charger....but nothing. Check the batter...its good. All grounds are good. Battery cables good...connection to starter good. No fuses blown, etc.

So I use a piece of wire to bypass this solenoid pictured below (i'm guessing its the solenoid..but I'm new to chargers so what do I know!). Either way, it cranked up fine if I bypass it with a piece of wire. Took my meter and checked voltage going through each wire...all connections are getting power...just not sure about the connection from the ignition switch to the solenoid. I turn the key and get nothing..not even a click. But if I jump a wire across this solenoid, it fires right up.

So the question lies there....where can I get another one of these?... and do you indeed think that is the problem?

skip68

Starter relay, Autozone has them for $12.   Check your ignition switch and make sure all the wires are hooked up.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Try moving the shifter around with the key in the start position.   Could be a neutral safety switch issue....   I've had that problem before. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Surf Charger

Quote from: skip68 on February 27, 2012, 08:21:05 PM
Try moving the shifter around with the key in the start position.   Could be a neutral safety switch issue....   I've had that problem before. 

I originally tried this (moving the shifter). Gonna try again. Where is the neutral safety switch located exactly?

Quote from: skip68 on February 27, 2012, 08:18:03 PM
Starter relay, Autozone has them for $12.   Check your ignition switch and make sure all the wires are hooked up.

I will go ahead and pick one of these up just for safe measure.

Carrnutt

It is on the transmission, has 3 wires to it, on driver's side.
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

Surf Charger

Kern Dog

Tha Auto Zone relays DO work okay, but I'd rather spend a few more bucks on an Echlin part from Napa.

djcarguy

take apart and clean the wire blukhead connector there on your firewall and use deox electrical grease when going back together,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,check fuseable link to...good luck

rick.d

I agree with what was said already, especially the ignition switch. If you get a new switch, it should come with the harness that goes down through the steering column to a connector at the base of the column. I've replaced more than a few of them.

Surf Charger

Quote from: djcarguy on February 28, 2012, 05:41:23 AM
take apart and clean the wire blukhead connector there on your firewall and use deox electrical grease when going back together,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,check fuseable link to...good luck

I did this. Cleaned all of the connection points and added electrical grease. Weird b/c the car cranked/turned over fine via the ignition before I parked it in the garage. I had to move the shifter a few times so I'm wondering if the true problem lies in the neutral safety switch issue?

Not sure how to determine if the fuseable link is bad as it is built inside the wire. I may just try to pick up a new one regardless.

Is a fuseable link something that can be purchased from napa/autozone?

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on February 28, 2012, 03:33:44 AM
Tha Auto Zone relays DO work okay, but I'd rather spend a few more bucks on an Echlin part from Napa.

I may run to Napa and pick up the part. I've had some bad luck with Autozone/Advanced Auto parts lately.

404NOTFOUND

Reach under the dash and push the electrical plug against the ignition key switch. It can come loose. Mine did twice.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Surf Charger

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on February 28, 2012, 01:09:49 PM
Reach under the dash and push the electrical plug against the ignition key switch. It can come loose. Mine did twice.

Thanks! I will try that as well!

best regards

Surf Charger

Thanks to everyone. Got her running. Not sure which one it was but after jiggling the back of the ignition inside the car and jiggling the neutral safety switch underneath, it cranks up fine now. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Surf Charger

Quote from: Surf Charger on February 28, 2012, 10:03:26 PM
Thanks to everyone. Got her running. Not sure which one it was but after jiggling the back of the ignition inside the car and jiggling the neutral safety switch underneath, it cranks up fine now. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Well..back to the drawing board. I am at a loss.   :rotz:

After turning the key with no start, I jiggled the back of the ignition switch wiring as well as the neutral safety switch wiring and got it to crank. Turned the key and the car cranked up fine. Turned it off. Cranked it again just fine...and drove it down the street and back. Turned it off. Now I'm having the same issue and haven't been able to crank it since...turn the key to start the engine and and nothing happens...you only see the voltage needle flutuate.

Common sense would tell me the problem has got to be due to the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch.  

So without any luck after jiggling/re-connecting the wires some more, here's what I have done:

-Replaced the solenoid on the firewall (no luck)
-Replaced the neutral safety switch. I even re-wired the connections going to the neutral safety switch, as the previous owner did a hack job splicing the wires to the female connecters that slide over the pins. I even took pictures of how it was hooked up so I would not get them mixed up. Re-connected them the way they were (no luck)
-Unplugged all of the connections into the firewall, cleaned them up, used dielectric grease, plugged them back in. (no luck)
-All ground wires/wiring is secure and has a good connection.
-Removed the ignition switch from its harness, cleaned the connections, reconnected using dielectric grease. (no luck)
-Checked voltage going through the fuseable link....seems to be fine.
-Connections to starter are fine.

3 Questions:

1.) When I turn the ignition key to crank, nothing happens...but I see the volt gauge fluctuate...so i know it is drawing power. Could the problem be the ignition switch itself? Are there contacts inside the ignition cylinder that wear out? Do ignition switches start to go bad by acting up or once they fail..they just fail? My problem is intermittent....sometimes I turn the key and it will crank. Sometimes I turn the key and get nothing.

2.) Does the ignition switch go through the fusebox? Say if a fuse blew...would that cause it to not send power?

3.) Could something inside the tranny housing not be engaging the neutral safety switch?

Any help would be appreciated. This is so infuriating as I haven't even had a chance to truly drive the charger...just got it all back together and all of the sudden I'm having an electrical ignition issue that I never had prior.  :'(

Surf Charger

Quote from: skip68 on February 27, 2012, 08:21:05 PM

I replaced this all together this morning. No luck.

Could it be possible for the lever that engages/disengages the neutral safety switch to not be making contact with the switch internally?

b5blue

Yes and I had a "new ignition switch" fail at the cranking engine over "start position". (After about getting 60 days old.) Ground the terminal that the yellow wire runs to, (On the solenoid.) that defeats the neutral safety switch. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL AS IT WILL CRANK IN GEAR SO BE CERTAIN YOUR IN PARK OR NEUTRAL!!!
  This will allow you to verify if the switch or wiring to NSS is the problem.   :2thumbs:

Surf Charger

Quote from: b5blue on March 01, 2012, 04:11:52 PM
Yes and I had a "new ignition switch" fail at the cranking engine over "start position". (After about getting 60 days old.) Ground the terminal that the yellow wire runs to, (On the solenoid.) that defeats the neutral safety switch. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL AS IT WILL CRANK IN GEAR SO BE CERTAIN YOUR IN PARK OR NEUTRAL!!!
  This will allow you to verify if the switch or wiring to NSS is the problem.   :2thumbs:

Ok I just disconnected all three wires going into the neutral switch. pulled them up to the engine bay and did a test. connected two of them together and cranked the engine. So my ignition in the car is perfectly fine. The problem definitly is the neutral switch.....but not the switch itself..more of the transmission is not engaging the little button on the end of the switch.

So here's my question, I can run it fine without going through the neutral safety switch. However I'd like to resolve the problem eventually....

Will I need to rebuild my tranny to resolve this issue or is this something that possibly has a resolution with adjusting the levers underneath?

b5blue