News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New rod bearing install - Question

Started by StockMan, March 11, 2012, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StockMan

I'm installing new rod bearings into my 68 440.  Crank was ground at 10 under and I have the bearings to match.  I've installed each set and the clearances are all at .002, which is good.  I decided at this point to check my cam timing, so I left the #1 piston/rod in place (all others removed).  The rod cap on #1 was snugged up, but not fully torqued.  After checking my cam timing I removed the rod/piston and noticed the rod bearing appeared to be 'Rubbed' a bit (Shiny) around where the bearing parts meet, right around the 'Tangs'.  It almost seems like when the tangs were pressed in it distorted the bearing in that area.  Does torquing down the rod cap flex so that this tight tolerance would open open up?  Or, does this simply wear away after running the motor? 
Mains are all good, no scuffing at all there.  The mains are Clevite and the rods are Federal Modul.

Thanks for your help.

c00nhunterjoe

I would check another rod for the same concern and potentially be looking at out of round rods.

A383Wing

it's gonna be normal...the bearings will "crush" or conform to the rod journal when torqued correctly

Bryan

StockMan

Thanks for your reply.  I took a different set of bearings and installed them in the #1 rod/cap and this time I torqued it down before I attempted to rotate the crank.  I disassembled and no scuffing.  It seems that torquing to spec must flex or seat the bearing tightly resulting in the clearance I need.  My mistake, I didn't think torquing it down would have that much if an affect.

Thanks again.

firefighter3931

Quote from: A383Wing on March 11, 2012, 07:02:11 PM
it's gonna be normal...the bearings will "crush" or conform to the rod journal when torqued correctly

Bryan

Exactly....the bearings crush when the caps are torqued to spec. Your clearance measurements will be off unless the rods are properly torqued.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

My mistake, I missed the part about reinstalling without torqueing the no1. I thought it was only the no1 bearing scuffed after checking.    :slap: