News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building the Birdhouse.........

Started by Hemi Runner, February 26, 2012, 09:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

My two car garage is busting at the seams and since I've picked up the superbird project, I really needed a place to put all the car junk. Since I'm very mechanically inclined and really broke, I'm having to do as much as possible myself. This is the future site of the Birdnest.....

Hemi Runner

This is what happens when you let some of your friends come play in your backyard.... :coolgleamA:

Hemi Runner

Hemi Runner

The digging just keeps going.... are you diggin' it?

Hemi Runner

Hemi Runner

Well, not quite... we had to dig a trench for the utilities to tie in, mainly waste and water lines.... this was the end of the first day....

Hemi Runner

Poured the concrete footings and brought in the concrete block and stacked it around the hole....

Hemi Runner

Concrete block is done...... :cheers: Now I'm working on the utilities. Got the 4" waste pipe in and drilled for the water supply lines today.

aussiemuscle

wow, you fit all that in the tiny shed? is it a TARDIS?  :angel:

Hemi Runner

Yeah, I fit that backhoe and that bobcat into that tiny shed :D The only thing I got done tonight was to core a 5" hole through the 8" thick poured concrete wall in the basement. That was not fun :rotz:

RallyeMike

It's good for your health to have two separate garages. You'll spend hours upon hours walking back and forth between them looking for tools! You may as well plan to build a nice walkway between them.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

max

The only thing I see wrong is, it's not big enough.  :lol:

PocketThunder

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 28, 2012, 02:02:50 AM
It's good for your health to have two separate garages. You'll spend hours upon hours walking back and forth between them looking for tools! You may as well plan to build a nice walkway between them.

Yep, i do that all the time... :brickwall: :brickwall:

Two questions:
Do you live by a cemetary?
Why did you put the garage in the smack dab center of the backyard and not off to one side or the other?   Do you have property line easements pushing the garage from all sides into its current location?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Oh to have a lot that big.  It looks like it will be a nest to be proud of.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: max on February 28, 2012, 10:44:47 AM
The only thing I see wrong is, it's not big enough.  :lol:

It's 28x44 which is about 1/2 what I wanted but the city max is 1250sqft. ::)

Hemi Runner

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 28, 2012, 10:48:50 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on February 28, 2012, 02:02:50 AM

Yep, i do that all the time... :brickwall: :brickwall:

Two questions:
Do you live by a cemetary?
Why did you put the garage in the smack dab center of the backyard and not off to one side or the other?   Do you have property line easements pushing the garage from all sides into its current location?

Yes I live right by the cemetery. The dead don't bother me... it's the live ones that you have to worry about!!
It's got setbacks from both lot lines (the fences) that dictate it's placement. Not my rules, but the ones I had to live by.
The city limits me to 1250 sqft combined for all out buildings and I'm at 1232 plus another small shed not seen that makes up the rest. I can still add another two stall garage onto the back of my current garage for even more room if I ever need it. What I needed was a place to work. This will have attic trusses for storage up above of all the extra parts and such.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Ghoste on February 28, 2012, 10:55:52 AM
Oh to have a lot that big.  It looks like it will be a nest to be proud of.
It's not as much as some but more than most. I like it and I'm the only one I have to please these days :rofl:

max

Quote from: Hemi Runner on February 28, 2012, 08:50:49 PM
Quote from: max on February 28, 2012, 10:44:47 AM
The only thing I see wrong is, it's not big enough.  :lol:

It's 28x44 which is about 1/2 what I wanted but the city max is 1250sqft. ::)

Well, that plays a huge role in what you can do.
It seems no matter how big a garage is you always run out of room. Your garage is alittle larger then my lower level and I ran out of room in just alittle over a year after I built mine so I had to expand to an upper floor the same size as the bottom. :eyes:

My father-in-law built a nice garage awhile back which he has never had and I told him not to let his wife store anything from the house out there. It wasn't a month after it was built his wife took some stuff out there and it wasn't long before he couldn't get to anything of his. He later told me that he wished he would have listened. :yesnod:

Hemi Runner

I'm limited to 21ft height max, so can't do a multi-level deal, my wallet would never allow it anyway :shruggy: The garage now (and the basement) is full of my stuff and I'm going to move it to the attic storage area above this new building and that should give me plenty of work room inside and free up the garage for actually parking cars in. Her stuff has never been a problem! We should have all the dirt work done this weekend and be ready to start framing.

rattlehead_74

Hey there buddy...hows the birdnest coming along?

Hemi Runner

It'd be coming along better if you'd get over here and shovel some dirt :o J/K... we're at a weather standstill with the snow and all. Tomorrow and Wednesday should turn that around. I think I'm going to finish all the plumbing and in floor radiant heat junk and get the floor poured so I'll have a flat surface to build the walls on. The framing and construction is the easier part for me so I'd like to get to that part soon. This concrete and dirt work isn't my cup of tea!

rattlehead_74

Just holler if ya need a hand! Yea its supposed to get nice later in the week..what a crazy winter lol

Hemi Runner

Worked on more plumbing tonight and am waiting on a couple of loads of fill to be delivered. Hopefully the back filling is done this weekend :2thumbs:

Hemi Runner