News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Media Blasting

Started by Chatt69chgr, February 23, 2012, 01:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

How much should it cost to have a 69 Charger Unibody media blasted.  They use plastic media.  Will use black beauty for the few rust places.  Use a rotisserie and will spray on whatever primer I bring. 

I have already spent considerable time scraping all of the undercoating off and also removed the seam sealer.  (they said that they could have blasted that off----I don't believe they could have blasted off the undercoating as it was not easy to get off)  Unibody is completely stripped except the front fenders and doors have not been taken off.  They say they do that.

They are quoting $2300.  This is a place in Flintstone, GA.

Troy

That's about 2-3 times more what I've seen - although my quotes didn't include spraying the primer. You've already done the hard work (undercoating and seam sealer) so all they have to do is strip paint and hit the rust with sand. Blasting won't take the rubber stuff off - they'll use some chemical (or possibly a pressure washer) to do it. The plastic media blaster near me charges about $60 per panel so doing inside, outside, and underneath can add up. The local mobile soda blaster guy will do a complete car (top and bottom) for $700. Location plays a large part when it comes to cost but I wouldn't expect GA to be much different than OH.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger_fan_4ever

Like Troy said Media blast won't take off the factory undercoat. Sandblaster does not even really do it well. You'd have to hold it on so long it would warp stuff from the heat.

Chatt69chgr

Anybody used Blast From The Past in Lebanon, TN?  I saw that the Power Block TV show guys used them in a recent episode.

gtx6970

Was just quoted media blasting the exterior shell of a 1968 charger ,roof,  interior firewall( theres no dash in it btw)  engine compartment, 2 doors and hood ------- $2000

I supplied the car with all bolt on sheetmetal removed( doors hood etc etc )  most of both rear quarters were to be removed and no trunk floor in it .

This did NOT included anything on the underside
and no primer or sealer of anykind

deanj309

I think it depends on the person and what amount they want at the time.the stripping company that's getting mine after the floors are putin already gave me a price on media blasting on paper and they are doing a cmplete rolling shell.they are taking the rear end off and front end off and strapping it to rotissorie spraying it with dp black epoxy primer all for 1,200 and I'm in illinois