News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 2 barrel to 4 barrel conversion

Started by xx29440charger, January 13, 2012, 09:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

Has anyone converted a stock 383 2 barrel to a 4 barrel. I am converting a stock 70 383 2 barrel to a 4 barrel. I will be using an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake and thinking about using an Edelbrock 600 carb. I was wondering what size I should go on the carb. I don't want to overcarb a stock motor. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks! :laugh:

71charger_fan

I used the Performer intake with an NOS Thermoquad I picked up at Carlisle. I love the Thermoquad, best carb I've ever owned. Bolted it on out of the box and never had to adjust a thing. I used a non-electric choke mechanism for a Dodge pickup. It's been so many years, I don't remember the application.

xx29440charger

71charger_fan

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think most TQs were around 800cfm. However, with the way they work with the air door, you can put quite a large TQ on a smaller engine without problems. The TQ seems to only deliver what the engine calls for.

firefighter3931

I'd look at a Proform 650 vacuum secondary street series carb  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71bee

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 13, 2012, 10:54:16 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure. I think most TQs were around 800cfm. However, with the way they work with the air door, you can put quite a large TQ on a smaller engine without problems. The TQ seems to only deliver what the engine calls for.

Unless you are changing the heads & cam, stay with a 800 CFM Thermo-quad. I have run, tested & modified many T-Q's out of curiousity on my 383's. a converted 4 barrel application with only the intake swapped out will not require many CFM's.

charger_lady

We just did this to ours a few months ago. We also have a stock 383...we installed a Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm w/electic choke and she runs great! Good luck :)

MoPar_440

Can the Edelbrock Performer go straight on a standard 383 BB without changing anything??  :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

Mopar....No replacement for displacement!!!

Challenger340

Installing a 4 BBL Intake and Carb, onto an otherwise stock 383 2 BBL Engine, will produce little, if any, performance gains.
It will run just fine...
but,
because the 2 BBL Camshaft is being retained, power increases are neglible at best, and usually NONE at all.

For Computer guys...Think of it this way.....the Camshaft is the "program", by which it tells the Valves how MUCH to open and for HOW LONG, thereby determining how much Air & Fuel enters the Engine to be burnt and POWER produced......
IMO,
Not much point(other than appearance), putting a 4 BBL(even small CFM) over the same 2 BBL "Program"(Camshaft) the Engine will run according to,
because,
the 2 BBL Cam is NOT designed with sufficient events to utilize the extra 4 BBL Flow.

This is the "WHY", when 4 BBL Carb & Intakes, are swapped on top of stock 2 BBL Cammed Engines, you will not hear the audible deep "drone" when the pedal is Floored,
typical of other BB Mopar Engines WITH an actual 4 BBL designed Camshaft.

Sorry to rain on anyone's parade.....if you just want "appearances"  then go for it,
but really,
from a performance standpoint, it gives a 383 "4 BBL" Engine a bad name.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

71bee

:iagree: My point exactly. some folks think of a 4 barrel carb swap as a way to improve on power. unfortunately, you also need to have the proper cam & heads to go with it, otherwise, your simply over-carbureting your engine.

tufamc

soooooo......what cam would any of you suggest? I ask this b/c i did this to my 383 about 2yrs ago, and while it runs smooth, I'd like a bit more. Were talking a bone stock 383, tho with headers and a 4bbl now, I'd like to cam it this spring, the work is no problem for me, just would like a bit more oomph, and a bit of a rumble. As of now I'm thinking the Voodoo 302..... Stock 383/727/converter/3.23 rear...

thanks
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

Challenger340

Quote from: tufamc on February 26, 2012, 05:37:24 PM
soooooo......what cam would any of you suggest? I ask this b/c i did this to my 383 about 2yrs ago, and while it runs smooth, I'd like a bit more. Were talking a bone stock 383, tho with headers and a 4bbl now, I'd like to cam it this spring, the work is no problem for me, just would like a bit more oomph, and a bit of a rumble. As of now I'm thinking the Voodoo 302..... Stock 383/727/converter/3.23 rear...

thanks

If you are currently running the stock 383 2 BBL Cam, you are gonna be AMAZED at the difference even the 302 VooDoo Cam makes !
It's like finally finding the "ON" switch.
Only wimps wear Bowties !