News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick question on carb cleaning/rebuild.

Started by Dino, February 26, 2012, 10:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have a nice thermoquad (6454s I think) on my workbench.  It looks real nice, I don't see any damage at all but I do want to rebuild it just in case.  It'll replace the Edelbrock 750 but I will keep the performer intake on the 440 and install a crossover block while I'm making a mess of things.

Since I've never done a rebuild I figure I can just sit down and take my time while I remove piece by piece and clean it up with some carb cleaner and other miscellaneous cleaning supplies, it's been sitting on a shelf for a while.  I hope there's a sort of blueprint out there so I know how to put it back together but I guess taking pics wouldn't be a bad idea.  Once it's all cleaned and rebuild I do need to figure out how to tune it for my needs but that's for another time.

Is this a good way to go?  I figure this way I can see what exactly I need to do to make it work as it should and order the proper rebuild kit.  I forgot who recommended this here but I was told to replace the choke as well.  I need to read up on how manual and electric chokes work so I know what I want on mine.  I have an electric choke on the Eddy so I guess I can transplant it. 

I wish I had the spare time in my life where I could take some mechanic classes and learn about this stuff but a full time job and going to college leaves little room so thank you for all those that help us amateurs see the forest through the trees!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Check your FSM, it my have a blow-up diagram for the carb.

nvrbdn

thats the best way to do it. i learned that way. you can look for a blue print. i take a screw out,gasket, anything. take pic's of each step, but have an empty work area where you can keep every move in order.each piece goes in line and assembled in reverse order. most rebuild kits have some kind of assembly instructions in them also.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Troy

If that number is right it's off of a 1974 360 HP MT from California. I'd think it's too small for a 440 but then I saw that the throttle bores should be the same as the 440 carb and it flows 800-850 cfm so now I don't know. I was going to toss the Edelbrock on my Power Wagon and go back to a Thermoquad for mileage/response but didn't pull the trigger before I sold it.

If you have too much free time I know what you could be working on instead... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71bee

This guy does a good job on re-building his Thermo-quad. he hits all the necessary steps to properly install all the goodies from your re-build kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNhCLg9veg

FLG

71bee's gonna disagree with me (at least on the termoquad point) :smilielol:

Get rid of the thermo junk and the edelbrick carb and buy a nice proform or holley dp'er and you wont ever go back to anything else.

:stirthepot:

Dino

Thanks for the replies! 

I do want to try the tq, if I can get it to run right then it will be the best carb for my application.  I cruise my car a lot so the tq should be perfect.  I refuse to tinker with a carb every other weekend though.  If it's a pita then I'll take it back off.

Dino

Quote from: Troy on February 26, 2012, 10:48:55 AM
If that number is right it's off of a 1974 360 HP MT from California. I'd think it's too small for a 440 but then I saw that the throttle bores should be the same as the 440 carb and it flows 800-850 cfm so now I don't know. I was going to toss the Edelbrock on my Power Wagon and go back to a Thermoquad for mileage/response but didn't pull the trigger before I sold it.

If you have too much free time I know what you could be working on instead... ;)

Troy

I mixed the numbers around, it's a 6545S off a mid '70's 440.

71bee

Quote from: FLG on February 27, 2012, 05:17:53 AM
71bee's gonna disagree with me (at least on the termoquad point) :smilielol:

Get rid of the thermo junk and the edelbrick carb and buy a nice proform or holley dp'er and you wont ever go back to anything else.

:stirthepot:

Your right about disagreeing. been there, done that. unless you like tinkering consistently with carburetors just to keep your car running right, gimme that good ol' Carter T-Q!  :D