News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing to white interior,..... need help

Started by FrnkNsteen, February 23, 2012, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrnkNsteen

Hi Guys,

I've pretty much decided that I want to go white on the interior of my '69 SE. I had decided that I was going to paint the car Q5 Bright Turquoise Metallic, but hadn't decided if I wanted a black top, stripe and interior, or to go white on the top, stripe, and interior. Well, after much going back and forth,.... I've pretty much decided to go with the white accents. Car has no build sheet, no fender tag, and is not numbers matching, so it's kind of a "Go with what I like" kind of thing.

My question is this,.....

If I go with a white interior, do I do the dash padding in white as well? What color do I do the door frames, kick panels,... Basically, what color is everything else in a car with white interior. I know the insides of the doors are usually painted the interior color, but I wouldn't think you'd paint them white. I was thinking of going turquoise on the carpet with the white seats. Do I paint the interior pieces, including the dash frame a flattened turquoise color.

Pictures from someone with a white interior would be extremely helpful. I've tried to do some searches, but you just don't find many good pictures of white interiors on Chargers.

I've got a ways to go before I'm ready, but I just wanted to start getting thigns planned out and rounding up parts!

Help!!
1969 Charger SE (Just starting the restoration)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Troy

There are several posts on this elsewhere. Basically, dash (and all dash pads), carpet, console, package tray, seat belts, metal window trim, and kick panels are black. Seat covers, headliner, door panels, upper door pads, door edge trim, and arm rests are white. Inside of the doors (and bottom where it's visible after the panels are installed) are white.

Chris has a picture on the Registry site but it appears to have incorrectly painted inner doors:
http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/interior.html

Here's the paint on my 68 - although it should be the same:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68 Bullitt Charger

I have very nice condition white interior that I'm changing to black for sale. All seat covers, door panels, headliner, sail panels, etc. If you are interested let me know. Its from my 68 and although its 43 years old, its in real nice condition. Thanks, Joe
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Troy

A 68 interior won't work in his 69 since it's a "pearl white" and not the regular white used in 69-70. Not to mention the front door pads and seat patterns are different. I think the SE has leather front seats too - but I'm no 69 expert.

I, however, might be interested. ;)

Troy

68 Bullitt Charger

Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Troy on February 23, 2012, 04:24:10 PM

Chris has a picture on the Registry site but it appears to have incorrectly painted inner doors:

The lower door frame is painted white in that pic Troy :scope:

Also, FrnkNsteen...FYI   no white Leather seats originally available on an SE car.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Bossman963

Troy have to disagree on your post as stating that all dashes etc are painted black with white interior- wrong.
I have a original 68 charger with 18K on it, its white car, white interior except it has red carpet, dash pad, seat belts, pillars, kick panels :shruggy: :shruggy:
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

Indygenerallee

My 69 Charger was originally a red car, white interior with a black vinyl top and it had a black dash, black carpet, black A pillar plastic everything else was white.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bill440rt

Troy, the metal headliner side moldings would be painted white as well.
The front one by the windshield is black.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on February 24, 2012, 07:12:16 AM

Yup, thats how mine is also!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

Quote from: Bossman963 on February 23, 2012, 11:48:05 PM
Troy have to disagree on your post as stating that all dashes etc are painted black with white interior- wrong.
I have a original 68 charger with 18K on it, its white car, white interior except it has red carpet, dash pad, seat belts, pillars, kick panels :shruggy: :shruggy:

all depends on the interior codes

both ways are correct.

nh_mopar_fan

Love that color combo. That's going to look awesome.  :2thumbs:

FrnkNsteen

Thanks for the information guys. That's helpful, and a bit of a relief, considering I just resprayed my dash pieces black and was worried I'd have to start over.

Troy and Just 6T9,.... remember,..... My car doesn't have a fender tag or build sheet, nor is it numbers matching, so it will never be able to be "Correctly Restored". I've just had this car for going on 30 years, and finally getting the chance to go through it and put it back on the road. I realize it's probably not all to bright to go this deep into a rebuild on something that isn't matching and has no traceability, but to me, having had it since I was a teen makes me have to do it, and it will NEVER be sold. I'm just building what I like, and I happen to like the '68 interior anyway with the slats they put in the seats.

Picture my car as Hot Rod meets stock appearing. I LOVE what they originally did with these cars, so I don't want to stray too far from original, whether that be '68 original or '69 original. Means I'm not going to go drop a set of Recaro buckets in it, but I'll put the stock equipment in it that I like. I have even gone as far as talking to Legendary to see if they'd do me a set of white '68 seat covers with turquoise slats and the '69 headrests. I know, it's probably blasphemy to mic years and styles to most, but I'm only doing this once. I might as well make it the way I like, especially since it's lost all traceability over the years.

And by the way Troy,.... thanks for trying to swoop on the Pearl White '68 interior that Bullitt was trying to offer me!!  :slap: :icon_smile_big:
1967 Barracuda Notchback

FrnkNsteen

Thanks NH, I'm hoping it turns out looking as good as I'm hoping. I had originally thought about going yellow, but there's SOOOOO many yellow cars out there now, both old and new. I mean you can by a cobalt in bright yellow!!

My car was originally B3 blue, and sometime before I got it, was repainted in a darker blue. While tearing it apart I found the Sherwin Williams paint label and code it was repainted in. I wanted something bright, but Mopar didn't go bright with the action colors like PCP, Sublime, etc until '70 so I really didn't want to do that.

It finally came down to the '68 LL1 medium turquoise, the Q4 Light Metallic Turquoise, or the Q5 Bright Metallic Turquoise, .... and the Q5 stole my heart!!

Thanks for all the info guys!! I haven't been on here real long, but I'm glad I found this site!
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Troy

Quote from: Bossman963 on February 23, 2012, 11:48:05 PM
In 68 you could get combinations - white/blue, white/red, white/green, etc. In this case we're discussing a 69 and I don't think those options were available any more. In 68 you could also get colored inserts in the seats - but I think this was part of the combo interior.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 23, 2012, 06:43:13 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 23, 2012, 04:24:10 PM

The lower door frame is painted white in that pic Troy :scope:

Also, FrnkNsteen...FYI   no white Leather seats originally available on an SE car.....
Man, that sure looks skinny but you're right. The pocket goes to the bottom of the door panel and I see white below it. Sucks getting old!

Quote from: bill440rt on February 24, 2012, 07:12:16 AM
Whoops! You're right. I should look at my own pictures.

From now on I'll just look up the old thread and link to it instead of trying to remember all the details. :D

Troy

Troy

Quote from: FrnkNsteen on February 24, 2012, 09:09:52 AM
Thanks NH, I'm hoping it turns out looking as good as I'm hoping. I had originally thought about going yellow, but there's SOOOOO many yellow cars out there now, both old and new. I mean you can by a cobalt in bright yellow!!

My car was originally B3 blue, and sometime before I got it, was repainted in a darker blue. While tearing it apart I found the Sherwin Williams paint label and code it was repainted in. I wanted something bright, but Mopar didn't go bright with the action colors like PCP, Sublime, etc until '70 so I really didn't want to do that.

It finally came down to the '68 LL1 medium turquoise, the Q4 Light Metallic Turquoise, or the Q5 Bright Metallic Turquoise, .... and the Q5 stole my heart!!

Thanks for all the info guys!! I haven't been on here real long, but I'm glad I found this site!
I think B3 is an awesome color - and you're not likely to be parked next to another. The turquoise shades are nice too but B3 and white would really pop.

Troy

nvrbdn

if your going with a vinyl top, the white top,white interior with light blue or the turquoise colors is my favorite way to go. sounds great. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mike DC

Try driving a car with a white dashboard on a sunny day, and you'll understand why the factory didn't do it.  You can hardly see the road with the white top of the dash reflected on the windshield.

Same goes for other colors. That's why the OEMs generally put matte finishes and darker shades on the dashboards for every color combo.  

FrnkNsteen

That makes perfect sense!! I hadn't thought how bright that would be with a white dash pad reflecting the light right at you!!
1967 Barracuda Notchback

gtx6970

QuoteIn 68 you could get combinations - white/blue, white/red, white/green, etc. In this case we're discussing a 69 and I don't think those options were available any more. In 68 you could also get colored inserts in the seats - but I think this was part of the combo interior.

Nope,,,,
2 tone interiors were avail all the way up thru and including 1970

moparfan53

Hi,
I just came across this topic so this may or may not be of help now. Here are 2 pics of my 69 white interior. The restoration was done 2006-09 but I have owned the car since 1974. I was very careful to redo the interior the same as when I bought it, so I believe everything is correct. (except the Charger emblem on the right of the dash, that was my own personalization  ;D) :2thumbs:

FrnkNsteen

Thanks Moparfan! I can't see the pictures here at work, but I will go look at them from home after I get off.

On a side note,.... It had been mentioned earlier in this thread that the '68 Charger had the Pearl White interior, vs the standard white in the '69. I was at the annual swap meet at the Indianapolis fairgrounds this past weekend, and someone was selling a complete '68 Pearl White interior. It may have been the lighting in there, but it had much more of a yellow hint to it than I expected. Almost the color of Vanilla ice cream, only with a pearlescent shimmer to it. I was glad I saw it, because if that's what it's suppose to look like,.... I didn't like it. I'm hoping for a little brighter white.

Is the white from the '69s a brighter white?
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Troy

FrnkNsteen

1967 Barracuda Notchback

FrnkNsteen

Oh,... and Troy,.... I already let 68 Bullitt Charger know I decided not to go with his '68 Pearl White interior, so you might want to contact him if you're still interested.
1967 Barracuda Notchback