News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 project on CL

Started by charger_fan_4ever, February 22, 2012, 09:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ghoste on February 23, 2012, 09:34:31 AM
Maybe he just means the Guru Registry?

Are you picking on the Ty D bol man again  :smilielol:

Ghoste

Hey I'm a lot easier on him than a lot of others.  That pirhanna feeding frenzy on Moparts was brutal.

Old Moparz

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 22, 2012, 09:03:03 AM

I spoke with the owner a couple times as I've always wanted a C500. I decided to finish my 70 R/T and either sell it and buy a done C500, or pay more $$ for a solid project with paperwork.

Quick rundown of what I was told. No fender tag or b/s. R4 red with black interior, buckets w/ console. Comes with a 69 engine date correct, but not the #'s motor. Thinking of it now without a tag or b/s how could you know the build date ? The rear window and trim are gone. One quarter has been cut off along with the tail panel.

Seller said the frame rails,floors are solid. I received some other pics, but you can't tell much the parts are piled to the roof inside. Under the hood has been painted black. I asked the condition of the rear plug, but seller was not sure.

Thought I'd pass on the info if anyone here might be interested.

1969 Dodge Charger 500 - $17500 (Manchester, Ct)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-02-08, 1:30PM EST
Reply to: fhxcc-2841202597@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This car needs total restoration.it is a 440 auto car has been sitting since 1974. car is very rare. is not yet on the registry. car is inside the back of my shop not easy to get to. if interested . veiw by appointment. call 860-798-4030 Shaun.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2841202597.html

I'm 99.99% sure that this is the exact same Charger 500 I have seen in person about 5 to 7 years ago. I don't recognize the name & phone number in the craigslist ad, but there is a guy in the Hartford, CT area that I bought my '71 Barracuda from named Bryon Cwikla. He buys, sells & restores parts, & also runs a restoration shop called Restoration Suppliers of CT. He had access to a junkyard that was closed in the late 1970's that had a bunch of classics that were all still inside. Several Chargers were there, including the 500 we are discussing.

It has to be the same car because of the quarter that was cut off it. When I was there talking to him, we guessed that the quarter was simply hacked off back in the 70's & used for another Charger at one time. It didn't appear to have been hit, just scavenged of it's parts. Almost all of the car was stripped to a rolling shell, but the rear plug was still there & not cut into or rusted out. The rear glass was not in it, it was probably broken when the quarter was removed.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Old Moparz on February 23, 2012, 10:42:06 AM

I spoke with the owner a couple times as I've always wanted a C500. I decided to finish my 70 R/T and either sell it and buy a done C500, or pay more $$ for a solid project with paperwork.

Quick rundown of what I was told. No fender tag or b/s. R4 red with black interior, buckets w/ console. Comes with a 69 engine date correct, but not the #'s motor. Thinking of it now without a tag or b/s how could you know the build date ? The rear window and trim are gone. One quarter has been cut off along with the tail panel.

Seller said the frame rails,floors are solid. I received some other pics, but you can't tell much the parts are piled to the roof inside. Under the hood has been painted black. I asked the condition of the rear plug, but seller was not sure.

This car needs total restoration.it is a 440 auto car has been sitting since 1974. car is very rare. is not yet on the registry. car is inside the back of my shop not easy to get to. if interested . veiw by appointment. call 860-798-4030 Shaun.

I'm 99.99% sure that this is the exact same Charger 500 I have seen in person about 5 to 7 years ago. I don't recognize the name & phone number in the craigslist ad, but there is a guy in the Hartford, CT area that I bought my '71 Barracuda from named Bryon Cwikla. He buys, sells & restores parts, & also runs a restoration shop called Restoration Suppliers of CT. He had access to a junkyard that was closed in the late 1970's that had a bunch of classics that were all still inside. Several Chargers were there, including the 500 we are discussing.

It has to be the same car because of the quarter that was cut off it. When I was there talking to him, we guessed that the quarter was simply hacked off back in the 70's & used for another Charger at one time. It didn't appear to have been hit, just scavenged of it's parts. Almost all of the car was stripped to a rolling shell, but the rear plug was still there & not cut into or rusted out. The rear glass was not in it, it was probably broken when the quarter was removed.

Must have changed hands the seller wasn't Bryan. Makes sense now as all the bolt on parts were a different color.Do you remember what the underside was like ? If it sat outside in the junkyard all those years :$ Someone probably hawked the fender tag for a souvenir back in the day. Sure looks like a car that was parted out.

Old Moparz

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on February 23, 2012, 10:54:26 AM

Must have changed hands the seller wasn't Bryan. Makes sense now as all the bolt on parts were a different color.Do you remember what the underside was like ? If it sat outside in the junkyard all those years :$ Someone probably hawked the fender tag for a souvenir back in the day. Sure looks like a car that was parted out.

Bryon had a couple of guys working at his shop, & the shop was PACKED with parts & cars that were buried. If this Charger 500 is the same car, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still in the same shop. I looked up Bryon's address & it's also in Manchester, CT, the same town as the Craigslist ad.

I never crawled under the car, I was there to finish the deal with the Barracuda. I did notice that it was filled with dried leaves, so he must have literally just dragged it into the shop that day right from the junk yard. I vaguely recall thinking that it was in pretty solid shape for something that was in a yard all those years, but I didn't really spend any time looking it over closely.

Bryon had told me that he was considering keeping it, but he did say he was open to letting it go at the time. I had given Bryon's contact info to another member on here, PocketThunder, but I don't know if her ever got in touch to get more details & photos. If you look up PocketThunder & PM him, maybe he can answer a few questions.

The fender & VIN tags? I don't remember anything about the fender tag existence, but as far as the VIN tag goes, I'd say it was probably always there. Bryon mentioned that he first thought about turning it into a Daytona since the plug was still there & had no interest in it as a 500. Once he researched it a bit & discovered that there weren't many built, he decided against the conversion.

I don't know Bryon on a close, personal level, but he seems honest to me. Everything he told me in emails about the Barracuda turned out to be 100% accurate when I went to see it. I've also bought & traded parts with him several times & would trust what he says. I doubt he, or anyone else working with him, would have switched VIN tags, but like I said, it's just my opinion.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

richRTSE

Awhile back I tried to put together my own list of known 500 vins and had this one in my list, not sure where I found it though... but I just found this in a google search of the vin...posted by member WINGNUT on moparts in 2004...

QuoteLooking for Broadcast sheet from a 69 Charger 500 XX29L9B164196, Red, black interior, Auto. Also looking for original 440 engine. Contact Pete at petev8@webtv.net or call Brian at 860-646-8335
days. Thanks!

Old Moparz

Quote from: richRTSE on February 23, 2012, 11:32:45 AM
Awhile back I tried to put together my own list of known 500 vins and had this one in my list, not sure where I found it though... but I just found this in a google search of the vin...posted by member WINGNUT on moparts in 2004...

QuoteLooking for Broadcast sheet from a 69 Charger 500 XX29L9B164196, Red, black interior, Auto. Also looking for original 440 engine. Contact Pete at petev8@webtv.net or call Brian at 860-646-8335
days. Thanks!

That's the same phone number I have for Bryon.

Bryon Cwikla
Restoration Suppliers of CT.
860-646-8335

And I know Pete Veight, he lives in CT., too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69_500

Just to clarify though I had the car listed as being R6 red though.

charger_fan_4ever

Sellers name is Shawn and said its at the back of a shop and he did bodywork. Must be maybe one of the guys at the shop.

It may make someone a nice 500 someday. Hopefully it gets saved, just won't be by me.

richRTSE

any more picts of this car other than the craigslist ad??   :shruggy:

RallyeMike

QuoteIt has to be the same car because of the quarter that was cut off it. When I was there talking to him, we guessed that the quarter was simply hacked off back in the 70's & used for another Charger at one time. It didn't appear to have been hit, just scavenged of it's parts.

That's a real look back into time as to how a lot of sacred cars were treated back in the day. It really makes you wonder how many 500's, being not as well recognized, were scrapped for parts. Interesting story.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

charger_fan_4ever

Almost 700 views anyone going to CT this weekend  :popcrn:

held1823

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 23, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
That's a real look back into time as to how a lot of sacred cars were treated back in the day...

indeed. today's sacred car was yesterday's grocery getter.

ever seen studded snow tires on a daily driver daytona? maybe i can find an old photo.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

F6Bee

I really think asking 17-20k for a 500 that is missing the fender tag and doesn't have a broadcast sheet is wishful thinking right now.

It wouldn't matter so much in a 318 Charger driver, but when you start to get into some serious money with the R/T's, 500's, 6 packs, hemi's and wing cars, it is a lot more important for the i's to be dotted, and the t's to be crossed.

Putting 50k plus total with resto to a car that might never have proper documentation to back up how it really came from the factory just doesn't seem like a wise decision.  Trust me, I have spent money in a lot of wrong places over the years in this hobby, nothing wrong with that, but that is how I see it.

Rick.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: F6Bee on February 24, 2012, 10:15:21 AM
I really think asking 17-20k for a 500 that is missing the fender tag and doesn't have a broadcast sheet is wishful thinking right now.

It wouldn't matter so much in a 318 Charger driver, but when you start to get into some serious money with the R/T's, 500's, 6 packs, hemi's and wing cars, it is a lot more important for the i's to be dotted, and the t's to be crossed.

Putting 50k plus total with resto to a car that might never have proper documentation to back up how it really came from the factory just doesn't seem like a wise decision.  Trust me, I have spent money in a lot of wrong places over the years in this hobby, nothing wrong with that, but that is how I see it.

Rick.

I agree and as much as we love these old cars they are still an investment as they cost so much to restore. When your car is done you want to make sure you don't have $60k in a $30k car.

What do you guys think a restored C500 with no tag or sheet would be worth ? I'm thinking not a whole lot more than an R/T with a tag. That being said $45k to the right buyer ?

We can always say we will never sell once completed, but more often than not you find youself in a situation where you have to sell.

charge-it

Quote from: Old Moparz on February 23, 2012, 10:42:06 AM

Yes, it is Bryons car...
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

charger_fan_4ever

So did anyone make a road trip to CT  :scratchchin: